Bench Test Results: Brillipower Blue 50A 3100mAh 18650...grotesquely overrated by 250%, not IMR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    While the test results are hard data, the conclusions and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion based on my criteria for setting a rating. Carefully research any cell you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing cells at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them.

If the cell has only one current rating number on it, or if it only says "max" then I have to assume that the company is stating that the cell can be discharged at that current level in any way, including continuously.

Cell photos: https://imgur (dot) com/a/tJrvt
    (Sorry for the split link but direct links to Imgur do not display properly)

Bottom Line
    That’s not a typo, it’s not a 25% overrating. It is a 250% overrating. This cell has “50A max” on the wrap. This is an obscene overrating as there are no 18650’s available with a capacity of 3000mAh or higher that have a current rating over 20A.

If “max” is some sort of “pulse” rating it is useless because we don’t know the pulse length, time between pulses, and the criteria used to set the rating. It cannot be used to compare this battery against any other.

The 3100mAh capacity of this cell is also exaggerated. It is a 3000mAh cell.

The wrap has “IMR18650” on it but this cell does not use the chemistry associated with the IMR model number prefix. It uses the chemistry sometimes indicated by the INR prefix.

Its appearance is identical, and it's performance essentially identical, to the Sony VTC6. I am rating this Brillipower cell at 15A and 3000mAh.

With all the other cells that are available to us, without this degree of overrating and incorrect info, this one is a terrible choice and earns a Do Not buy recommendation from me.

The two cells that were tested were purchased for that purpose by me.

Continuous-Current Test Results
    Brillipower Blue 50A 3100mAh 18650 CC Tests.jpg Brillipower Blue 50A 3100mAh 18650 Comparison VTC6.jpg

Pulse-Current Test Results
    Pulse testing was not done as this is a rewrapped VTC6.

To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links: List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread