Bench Test Results: Shockli 20A 5500mAh 26650...accurately rated, great choice for under 65W

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    While the test results are hard data, the conclusions and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion based on my criteria for setting a rating. Carefully research any cell you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing cells at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them.

If the cell has only one current rating number on it, or if it only says "max" then I have to assume that the company is stating that the cell can be discharged at that current level in any way, including continuously.

Cell photos: https://imgur (dot) com/a/cDvAJ
    (Sorry for the split link but direct links to Imgur do not display properly)

Bottom Line
    While this cell has a useless 30A “max” rating on the wrap its 20A continuous current and 5500mAh capacity ratings are accurate.

This cell has a huge 5500mAh capacity rating but its slightly higher internal resistance means that at above 20A pulsed or so it doesn’t offer any additional vaping time versus the good 30A 4200mAh-4300mAh cells like the Aspire/Golisi/iJoy (all the same cell).

At below about 20A pulsed though, about 65W per cell (130W in a two-cell mod, etc.), this Shockli cell is a great choice, a little better than the Aspire/Golisi/iJoy cell.

I do not know whether this Shockli cell actually uses the chemistry most often associated with the “IMR” model number prefix, which appears on the wrap of this cell.

The length of the two cells I tested were 65.0mm and 65.1mm, at the short end of the range of 26650 cell lengths.

I am rating this Shockli cell at 20A and 5500mAh.

The two cells that were tested were donated for that purpose by Shockli (www.shockli.com). Thank you! A big thank you also to Richard McDougal for donating two of the earlier 5000mAh versions of this cell for testing. I wasn’t able to test them before I received the 5500mAh version.

Continuous-Current Test Results
    Shockli Black 20A 5500mAh 26650 CC Tests.jpg

Pulse-Current Test Results
    Shockli Black 20A 5500mAh 26650 Pulse Tests.jpg Shockli Black 20A 5500mAh 26650 Pulse Tests ZOOMED.jpg

Performance Compared to the Aspire/Golisi/iJoy Cell
    Shockli Black 20A 5500mAh 26650 CC versus other 26650.jpg

Comments
    • At 10A continuous this cell delivered about 5471mAh. This is good performance for a 5500mAh cell discharged at 10A so I am rating it at 5500mAh.
    To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links: List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited by a moderator:

Barkuti

ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2016
    Alhama de Murcia, Spain
    Original Equipment Manufactuter cell specifications: 3.6V/3.7V 5500mAh NiCoMn(NCM) Battery Cell for EVs
    Power Long Battery, capacity specified for 1C standard discharge rate. Meets its capacity rating with flying colours, whereas the big four usually rate their cells at 0.2C (and don't meet the specs with an already disturbing frequency).

Cheers :)
    P.S.: The big four are LG, Panasonic/Sanyo, Samsung and Sony.

Reactions: stols001

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Original Equipment Manufactuter cell specifications: 3.6V/3.7V 5500mAh NiCoMn(NCM) Battery Cell for EVs
    Power Long Battery, capacity specified for 1C standard discharge rate. Meets its capacity rating with flying colours, whereas the big four usually rate their cells at 0.2C (and don't meet the specs with an already disturbing frequency).

P.S.: The big four are LG, Panasonic/Sanyo, Samsung and Sony.

Which Big 4 cells don't meet their specs? Every one I have tested has.

Barkuti

ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2016
    Alhama de Murcia, Spain
    0K Mooch, I may have to bite the bullet. I was presuming the latest generation of high capacity 18650 cells (NCR18650GA, INR18650-35E, etc) were actually rated “3500mAh”, but just checked their datasheets and they're not. Cut-off voltages are also lower than what is the norm (2.8V) among the likes of battery o_O testers. All of these “tricks” help feed the idea of “you're not gonna get what you see in the label” among customers. Of course, in the case of big brand cells the main reason is the different usage pattern but, to be honest, cell specifications aren't standardized and seems like manufacturers make “adjustments” for whole and big numbers to fit in the wraps. This, thus, just reinforces in me the “wrap figures are to be taken as a grain of salt” belief.
    Let's say I like a modest label and a great performance, massively reduces complaint chances.

P.S.: I have a hard time believing the NCR18650GA can really reach 3450mAh down to 2.5V typical capacity, it just did 3311mAh down to 2.8V at 0.5A (below 0.2C) in HKJ's tests. Also, the INR21700-48G “4800mAh” typical… :sleep:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread