Bench Test Results: Vapcell Black 38A 2000mAh 18650...bit overrated but incredible performer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    While the test results are hard data, the conclusions and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion based on my criteria for setting a rating. Carefully research any cell you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing cells at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them.

If the cell has only one current rating number on it, or if it only says "max" then I have to assume that the company is stating that the cell can be discharged at that current level in any way, including continuously.

Cell photos: https://imgur . com/a/ozTtz
    (Sorry for the split link but direct links to Imgur do not display properly)

Bottom Line
    This cell has “Max continuous discharge: 38A” on the wrap. While this is a bit of an overrating this is a great performing true 30A cell.

It appears to be a Samsung but it outperforms any Samsung I’ve seen in that capacity range. It might be one of the new generation cells being produced for automotive use.

While this Vapcell has a lower capacity rating than the VTC5A it holds its voltage up better at high current levels. This makes it about equal to the VTC5A in total running time down to 3.2V. The Vapcell hits a touch harder than the VTC5A at the start but the VTC5A runs for a touch longer. I’m not sure you’ll see a difference in actual use though. The Vapcell does run cooler than the VTC5A and this can help extend overall battery life when used at very high current levels.

It runs cooler than the HB6, and for a lot longer, making it a better choice than the HB6 for very high current use. This is a damn good cell!

While rated at 2000mAh, this cell only delivered 1912mAh of capacity at 0.5A down to 2.5V. I consider this the “typical” or “nominal” capacity. The rated capacity must be considered the guaranteed minimum capacity and therefore must be less than this nominal capacity. It is typically 100mAh-200mAh lower than the nominal capacity rating.

I am rating this Vapcell cell at 30A and 1800mAh.

I don’t know where this cell can be be purchased yet but vendors can contact Vapcell (www.vapcelltech.com or Shenzhen VapCell Technology Co., Ltd. - 18650 high drain IMR batteries,18650 charger/26650 chargers). The two cells that were tested were donated by Vapcell for that purpose. Thank you!

Continuous-Current Test Results
    Vapcell Black 38A 2000mAh 18650 CC Capacity Tests.jpg Vapcell Black 38A 2000mAh 18650 CC Tests.jpg

Pulse-Current Test Results
    Vapcell Black 38A 2000mAh 18650 Pulse Tests.jpg Vapcell Black 38A 2000mAh 18650 Pulse Tests ZOOMED.jpg

Comparison to Sony VTC5A and LG HB6
    Vapcell Black 38A 2000mAh 18650 CC Tests vs VTC5A.jpg Vapcell Black 38A 2000mAh 18650 CC Tests vs HB6.jpg Vapcell Black 38A 2000mAh 18650 Pulse Tests vs Others.jpg Vapcell Black 38A 2000mAh 18650 Pulse Tests vs Others ZOOMED.jpg

Comments
    Vapcell paid a fee to be moved to the front of the testing queue, which currently has an 8-10 week backlog. This cannot influence my test results as they pay in advance and I don’t care if any company never does this, or donates batteries, again. My reputation is a lot more important than any battery donation or payment.

To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links: List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited by a moderator:

Barkuti

ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2016
    Alhama de Murcia, Spain
    You went a bit hard on it with just a 1800mAh rating I believe, with this same yardstick the VTC5A would only qualify as 2200mAh at maximum discharge rate. I think you can easily call it a 1900mAh without worry. :2c:
    I can see HKJ's temperature findings were a tad off for some reason. I must also note that their temperature graphs show a spike at the very end of the discharge curves, indicating the absolute maximum cell temperature delta of a higher value which occurs briefly after the discharge, something I wasn't paying attention beforehand. :oops:
    Automotive usage… you mean as starter battery? Is it now common to find slightly higher voltage regulators/alternators for 4S li-ion setups? :?:

Thanks and cheers :)

• Agree
    Reactions: stols001

Derek Cross

ECF Veteran
    May 16, 2015
    Wow, first time ive seen a cell pulsed at 80 amps before voltage gets uselessly low!

Also Mooch, is this the first cell that you have tested with a maximum vaping amps rating over 40 amps?

This is exciting, as Ive seen so much attention given to the 20700 and other newer sized cells. I started worrying that companies would give up on innovation or improvements in the 18650,making my 30 or so tube mods I own just that-tubes of metal, lol!

Thanks for all you do!

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    You went a bit hard on it with just a 1800mAh rating I believe, with this same yardstick the VTC5A would only qualify as 2200mAh at maximum discharge rate. I think you can easily call it a 1900mAh without worry. :2c:
    I can see HKJ's temperature findings were a tad off for some reason. I must also note that their temperature graphs show a spike at the very end of the discharge curves, indicating the absolute maximum cell temperature delta of a higher value which occurs briefly after the discharge, something I wasn't paying attention beforehand. :oops:
    Automotive usage… you mean as starter battery? Is it now common to find slightly higher voltage regulators/alternators for 4S li-ion setups? :?:

Thanks and cheers :)

I respectfully disagree.
    The VTC5A hits its capacity rating at 0.5A. This cell comes no where near it.

Not as a starter battery, EV/HEV applications...just a guess.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Wow, first time ive seen a cell pulsed at 80 amps before voltage gets uselessly low!

Also Mooch, is this the first cell that you have tested with a maximum Vaping amps rating over 40 amps?

This is exciting, as Ive seen so much attention given to the 20700 and other newer sized cells. I started worrying that companies would give up on innovation or improvements in the 18650,making my 30 or so tube mods I own just that-tubes of metal, lol!

Thanks for all you do!

Check my 18650 ratings table but I think this was the first to have a MVA limit set above 45A.

Colman

Oct 20, 2017
    London
    I spoke to Eva, the sales rep from Vapcell on alibaba. You can buy these direct from them for about 4usd each but its 40usd shipping/postage.
    If anyone in UK reads this then Fogstar batteries will have them in stock and for sale next week for a good price, I spoke to them earlier too. They said given shipping/postage costs they could do the cells/batteries cheaper. I reckon they are cells for EV batteries given the high spec.

Last edited:

BIG TOZZ

Sep 13, 2017
    Can someone please explain.....?

LG HB6 18650 1500mAh 30A Battery x2 in a Dual Battery REGULATED mod , temp control , stainless steel coil, 0.5 ohms, after a full day of vaping my battery is at 70%

Bought

Vapcell Black 38A 2000mAh 18650 x2 and put them in the same mod. Same setup. After a full day of vaping my battery is at.......95%

SAME settings..... I know "a full day" is very subjective... I use my vape with a very predictable pattern so even though there might be a little variance i know i used them NEARLY EQUALLY throughout both days. FOUR sessions throughout the day of 15 to 20 minutes nonstop chain vaping both days started with the battery out of the charger reading 4.20v

How does the vapcell stay above 90% when the LG drops so far?

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Um, well the batteries have different specs? Also, some power devices convert power more or less efficiently from a battery, so some performers are... the mod (I'm talking to you, Steampunk Nano). Also, I'm guessing your LGs have seen some use, they may have started degrading while you are comparing them to a brand new cell??

Just some thoughts....

Anna

Barkuti

ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2016
    Alhama de Murcia, Spain
    Ouch with the font size, BIG TOZZ. :confused:
    Battery gauges of most modern electronic devices are mostly designed around voltage polling and maybe coulomb counting. While tablets and smartphones can be very accurate (coulomb counting is implemented and they're designed around a battery whose chemistry and discharge curves are well known), for devices where you can put whatever cell the thing is much different. In my experience with powerbank PCBs I believe most just estimate state of charge with the voltage, I remember how one I made took a very looong time for the gauge dwelling under 20% because I used NCR18650B cells, which are known to hold great low voltage capacity.
    Understand that your HB6s have lower capacity and may already be somewhat worn out. Also, the way your device estimates capacity is unknown and it may not suit well to the voltage/capacity curves of the Vapcell INR18650 2000mAh.
    In essence: the battery gauges are just estimates. :oops:

Cheers :)

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Can someone please explain.....?

How does the vapcell stay above 90% when the LG drops so far?

The Vapcell is rated at 2000mAh and the HB6 at 1500mAh. The Vapcell, on paper, will run longer just because of that.

The Vapcell also hits harder, i.e., holds is voltage up better/longer, than the HB6. This means that even if they had the same capacity rating the Vapcell would take linger to drop down in voltage compared to the HB6.

Combine those two differences and the Vapcell should definitely run for longer than the HB6.

Ben85

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 16, 2014
    Kent, UK
    I spoke to Eva, the sales rep from Vapcell on alibaba. You can buy these direct from them for about 4usd each but its 40usd shipping/postage.
    If anyone in UK reads this then Fogstar batteries will have them in stock and for sale next week for a good price, I spoke to them earlier too. They said given shipping/postage costs they could do the cells/batteries cheaper. I reckon they are cells for EV batteries given the high spec.

Thanks for the heads up. Will try and pick a pair up.

Evi|grin

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 21, 2013
    Cant decide between the Vapecell and the VTC5A for the SX Mini M Class. Less sag and longest life when being used for mostly 30watt or less TCR builds. While i like the results of the Vapecell, im guessing for my application the VTC5A is a little better? Liion has both and the price is similar.

Both my sets of LGs are starting to show their age so i need a replacement fairly soon.

PJReid

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 2, 2013
    Virginia
    I am behind on my battery reading. I just replaced my LG H2s with Sony VTC6 3000mAh 15A-30As. The performance of the LGs had dropped off and two of them had dents in the positive end. I have NO clue how that happened as I am very careful with my batteries. Two of them were so bad they wouldn't make a connection in my Minikin Mod, which is what led to the discovery of the dents. Wierd. So far, I like the Sony VTC6 batteries very much and thank @Mooch for his invaluable information.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Cant decide between the Vapecell and the VTC5A for the SX Mini M Class. Less sag and longest life when being used for mostly 30watt or less TCR builds. While i like the results of the Vapecell, im guessing for my application the VTC5A is a little better? Liion has both and the price is similar.

Both my sets of LGs are starting to show their age so i need a replacement fairly soon.

30W?
    The 30Q or VTC6 are a better choice at that power level.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread