Status
Not open for further replies.

kaykay

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2011
concrete jungle
While AW IMR's are really good in the discharge department, they lack big time in the capacity department. My go to batteries for both high amp discharge and long run time is the Callies Kustoms 3100mah panasonic cells. Best 18650 money can buy!!!
where did u get those?..i would love to try.

jmanning

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2010
Amarillo, TX
The 2900mAh protected AW batteries are Panasonic. Not sure about the others.

For single battery mods, 3.7v or booster, the AW IMR is the best option. For switching regulator buck mods using 2 batteries in series, I would use the AW protected cells. In this application, the draw on each battery is low so you don't need the high drain capabilities of the IMR and just end up with shorter battery life if you use them.

mv2envy

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2011
Los Angeles

JimmyJet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2011
Carolinas
For switching regulator buck mods using 2 batteries in series, I would use the AW protected cells. In this application, the draw on each battery is low so you don't need the high drain capabilities of the IMR and just end up with shorter battery life if you use them.

I was just pondering this very question. Does the statement above apply to this mod?

Big Daddy Vari-Cool - Ken's Boxmods

Thanks as always, JJ

JimmyJet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2011
Carolinas
Yes, that's a very nice switching regulator mod. AW protected cells would work nicely in it.

Thanks j-man. You just saved me some money and gained me some battery capacity.

If I understand correctly, in very basic terms...

Single-battery VV mods have to increase the voltage. Dual-battery VV mods have to decrease (regulate) the voltage.

Therefore the single battery gets worked harder. Is my brain on the right track?

Good Day, JJ :)

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
i think aw batteries ARE panasonic cells, no?

Yep, you are spot on Tybin :) The AW 2900mAh and the AW 3100mAh both utilize the Panasonic cells. Several manufacturers use them in their batteries. The AW 2600mah however, doesn't use panasonic cells and some speculate it uses sanyo cells. I haven't finished my testing of the 3100mah yet, but will soon. There are many load tests floating around, but many aren't testing the amperages specific to ecigs. Below i've tested several batteries at a 2.5amp load, which is equivalent to a LR 1.5 ohm atomizers draw.

What is surprising to me, is the AW 2600mah actually outperforms the AW 2900mah (and the 3100mah so far) in it's ability to hold higher voltage under load (up to 2 tenths higher), making it better suited for higher drain situations. And even about 1/3 of the way through it's life, the AW 2600mAh even starts to outperform the AW IMR 18650. Though the 2900mAh and 3100mah have higher tested mah ratings then the 2600mAh, since your voltage will be down 2 tenths , you'll be replacing them sooner as your vapor will grow weaker quicker, negating the extra mah they provide.(at least as it applies to those who use LR atomizers)

For users using LR atomizers or using them in a VV device, the AW 2600mAh or AW IMR 18650 is the best bet, even over the "larger" 2900mah and 3100mAh. For those using regular resistance atomizers, the 2900mah and 3100mah may be worth it for the extra mAh they provide.

What manufacturers are doing, i am told, is manipulating the C ratings, to increase the mAh ratings, at the sacrifice of it's amperage output. The test below confirms they are playing a ratings game:

AWbatterytest3.jpg

This test here, also done at 2.5amps (equivalent to the draw of an 1.5Ohm LR atomizer), throws the Ultrafire "Flames" 2400mah battery in the mix as well as the Ultrafire Red BRC 3000mah with the expected results, they don't come close to matching the output of the others both in mAh and ability to hold voltage under load:

18650comparison.jpg

Last edited:

jmanning

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2010
Amarillo, TX
Thanks j-man. You just saved me some money and gained me some battery capacity.

If I understand correctly, in very basic terms...

Single-battery VV mods have to increase the voltage. Dual-battery VV mods have to decrease (regulate) the voltage.

Therefore the single battery gets worked harder. Is my brain on the right track?

Good Day, JJ :)

That's right.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
Yep, you are spot on Tybin :) The AW 2900mAh and the AW 3100mAh both utilize the Panasonic cells. Several manufacturers use them in their batteries. The AW 2600mah however, doesn't use panasonic cells and some speculate it uses sanyo cells. I haven't finished my testing of the 3100mah yet, but will soon. There are many load tests floating around, but many aren't testing the amperages specific to ecigs. Below i've tested several batteries at a 2.5amp load, which is equivalent to a LR 1.5 ohm atomizers draw.

What is surprising to me, is the AW 2600mah actually outperforms the AW 2900mah (and the 3100mah so far) in it's ability to hold higher voltage under load (up to 2 tenths higher), making it better suited for higher drain situations. And even about 1/3 of the way through it's life, the AW 2600mAh even starts to outperform the AW IMR 18650. Though the 2900mAh and 3100mah have higher tested mah ratings then the 2600mAh, since your voltage will be down 2 tenths , you'll be replacing them sooner as your vapor will grow weaker quicker, negating the extra mah they provide.

For users using LR atomizers or using them in a VV device, the AW 2600mAh or AW IMR 18650 is the best bet, even over the "larger" 2900mah and 3100mAh. What manufacturers are doing, i am told, is manipulating the C ratings, to increase the mAh ratings, at the sacrifice of it's amperage output. The test below confirms they are playing a ratings game:

This test here, also done at 2.5amps (equivalent to the draw of an 1.5Ohm LR atomizer), throws the Ultrafire "Flames" 2400mah battery in the mix as well as the Ultrafire Red BRC 3000mah with the expected results, they don't come close to matching the output of the others both in mAh and ability to hold voltage under load:

Well I like charts and real tests.

Here's one were I took the liberty of putting a red dot when they hit 3.4V, and the yellow dot at 3.3V on the 2A trace (about a 2Ω atty). Seems those volts make the most sense for us.

18650_2011_test_small_33V_.jpg

The overlooked Tenergy2600 Li-Ion seems to be a better (and much cheaper) choice than the AW2600. Although subtle, the Tenergy performs better and it's true mAh rating is also better than the AW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread