Status
Not open for further replies.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
With my current 4 battery charger when I charge 4 batteries at .50 they get warm so I charge them at .25.

I think it's time to get a new charger because my batteries don't last much longer than 6 months.

What is the best charger to buy. It would be a plus for it to have a LCD Screen that tells me the charge left in the battery.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I started with a Nitecore i4 and was happy with it for the first 9 months or so. It seemed to take a long time to charge batteries, especially if charging 4 at the same time. It was probably just in my mind, but it seemed like it was taking even longer to charge batteries even if only charging 2. Then an epiphany. I had back-ups for everything vaping except a charger, what if it were to die on me? Very rural, so a quick trip to any store, let alone a vape shop, was not an option.

So ordered and received an Xtar VP4 and couldn't be happier. Charges about twice as fast, shows volts when batteries installed and throughout charge, and the skids slide so much easier. I figure that has to be a lot easier on the battery wraps.

Reactions: beckdg

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Well Shawn, priced right and mega features. Just picked one up.
Thanks (I Think) for the advise.
I'm pretty sure you'll like it. I have both the All-88 and the All-44, as well as an i4, and a VC4, and an X2... the All-44 gets the most use, by far...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Reactions: ShowerHead

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Does it charge 4 batteries at 1 Amp?

That was my question, also. My Efest LUC 4 does, but the Xtar VC4 will only do two 18650's at 1A. More than that and it drops to .5A, but the USB wall wart is only 2A. I was hoping this one would. It appears that you can set 1A charge for 4 18650's according to the quote below the link

"Review" Gyrfalcon ALL44

The charger now has 2 modes:

• A simple mode, where the charge will start automatically, distinguishing from nimh to 4.2 volt batteries, with a 1.0A current, and the user can only change the current charge (0.1A, 0.25A, 0.5A, 1.0A).
  • A professional mode: where the charge doesn’t start automatically, and for each battery you need to select the battery type (nimh, 3.6 volt LiFePO4, 4.2 volt li ion, 4.3 volt li ion, 4.35 volt li ion) and the current (0.1A, 0.25A, 0.5A, 1.0A). For the professional mode, all the shortcuts of the ALL-88 are valid: you can copy the settings of one slot to many others, you can quick set 4.2v 1A to all slots, etc. All the shortcuts are described in my review of the ALL-88.

Last edited:

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
I started with a Nitecore i4 and was happy with it for the first 9 months or so. It seemed to take a long time to charge batteries, especially if charging 4 at the same time. It was probably just in my mind, but it seemed like it was taking even longer to charge batteries even if only charging 2. Then an epiphany. I had back-ups for everything vaping except a charger, what if it were to die on me? Very rural, so a quick trip to any store, let alone a vape shop, was not an option.

So ordered and received an Xtar VP4 and couldn't be happier. Charges about twice as fast, shows volts when batteries installed and throughout charge, and the skids slide so much easier. I figure that has to be a lot easier on the battery wraps.

Ive always been under the impression that slow charging batteries was a good thing for extending the life of the cell(I mean how long before the battery is no good anymore, not between charges). Good chance that Ive misunderstood something as I havent really studied much about chargers. I bought a Nitecore I2 about 2 and a half yrs ago and it has been serving me well ever since.

I have been looking in to getting a 4 cell charger and Im leaning more towards the XTAR VC4 mainly for cost reasons, but I have been seeing a lot more recommendations for it than anything else. The Gryfalcon looks pretty cool though. I really need to study up on some charger info! :thumb:

Reactions: OlderNDirt

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
for cheap the nitecore I4
for better ones the Xtar or hohmtech ones

Any word about the Nitecore D4? I found a place where my 2 options for a 4 slot charger are either the D4 for $40 or the Xtar VC4 for $30. I was planning on getting the VC4 based on the price but it seems like the quality is also better from Xtar. What am I missing?

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Ive always been under the impression that slow charging batteries was a good thing for extending the life of the cell(I mean how long before the battery is no good anymore, not between charges).

I have heard about that as well. No idea how much degradation charging at 1A rather then .5A, but being able to charge a pair in 3 hours or less rather then 4 or 5 hours is worth it.

Reactions: Darth Omerta

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
Any word about the Nitecore D4? I found a place where my 2 options for a 4 slot charger are either the D4 for $40 or the Xtar VC4 for $30. I was planning on getting the VC4 based on the price but it seems like the quality is also better from Xtar. What am I missing?
D4 is good too but pricer then the I4.
Xtar is regarded as one of the best charger companies.
I know the hohmtech one (hohmbase) is really nice too and has a battery doctor feature
Right now I have a nitecore D2, nitecore I4, Xtar VC2, Xtar queen ant MC6, and nitecore I1

Reactions: Darth Omerta

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
D4 is good too but pricer then the I4.
Xtar is regarded as one of the best charger companies.
I know the hohmtech one (hohmbase) is really nice too and has a battery doctor feature
Right now I have a nitecore D2, nitecore I4, Xtar VC2, Xtar queen ant MC6, and nitecore I1

For the all the times your significant other says "charge it"! You are totally prepared!:thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread