1. Win Vaping gear! The ECF 15 Millionth Post contest

We are fast approaching the 15 millionth ECF post and we have a contest to celebrate this huge landmark and amazing prizes to give out to our members! Head over to the official contest thread to see the rules and check out the prizes generously pledged by our registered suppliers on the prize announcement thread.

best 5v mini usb pass through

Discussion in 'Battery Mods' started by codfish124, Oct 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. codfish124

codfish124 Senior Member ECF Veteran

So i wanted to make a mini usb pass though but could not find a female mini usb port. So i set out to find the cheapest thing i could with a mini port, found a thing called digipower at radio shack for $12 thinking i could just use the mini female port. but wait there's a battery....... so i did some test and it has 5V coming out of the out side solders on the out going port steady even when charging. so a pass through and a battery.

here is a link to the digipower thing i used Digipower Solutions JS1-V3 Jumpstart Instant Cell Phone Charger - JS1-V3 - Buy.com

with just enuff room in the cap for a switch and a atty conection i set out this is what i got not to pretty but works like a champ. ( charging the battery to full now to see how long the thing will last when not plugged in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jason365

Jason365 Super Member ECF Veteran

Looks nifty, but dont you need at least 1 amp out to run the atty? it dosent say on the product page. it could be 5oo ma thats what most chargers do, i think. let us know how it work just on the battery.

Jason

3. codfish124

works good on just the battery gonna give it a full charge to see how long it last with just the battery ill post a video give me a min

4. codfish124

did my first test will update with progress this was the first charge on the battery lasted for about 4 hr of preity constant vaping except when i ate. that was just on battery mode not pass through. so far much better than my 6v mods haven't burnt any juice im liking 5v better.

here is a video....sorry it kinda sucks not much of a youtuber

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbEgeB02gxo

5. Jason365

Cool, I may just pick one up now. I may have to kill that light, can you turn it off? WHat does that black button in the middle of it do?

6. codfish124

the black button in the middle is for the flash light. and the blue light is the charge indicator only on when the battery is charging. i don't think i would remove it because then you wouldn't know when the battery is charged.

7. schism61

schism61 Full Member

wow I would love to make one of those could U post a tut on doing it

8. kc0cmp

kc0cmp Super Member ECF Veteran

I hate to ask the obvious question, but where's the battery? uses a flatpack like a cell? darn thing is see-through and i cant see the batt LOL. any idea on the batts ratings? might be marked on the batt..that'd be super helpful, particularly if it's a 3.7ish volt that's being stepped up to 5, as we could bypass that and make a longer lasting 3.7v device as well with it!
    TIA

9. codfish124

i could do a tut may take me a a few days. id have to make a new one i didn't think i would turn out good so i didn't take pictures :(.

the battery is under the little board. the battery dose not have any marking it is a flat cell ill take a look at the voltage coming out of the next one i make this one is epoxied together.

10. codfish124

OK so the battery is about 3.7ish volts.

i will put together a tut tonight

the fully charged volts are 4.2 out of the battery

11. kc0cmp

Somehow I *knew* it would be LOL...bypassing *everything* but the battery whould allow one to run that bad boy on 3.7 longer term that it'd survive @5v of course...now i gotta find me one.

12. Jason365

13. kc0cmp

14. marudedame

marudedame Full Member

Holy smoke cod! You should send me how to make it. Im no good at doing things like that tho... oh yeah you can just make me one:D

15. pcore

pcore Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Does it say the mah rating of the battery? That is sweet.

Also on the "Needs 1 amp!" stuff, I am currently vaping on a homemade passthrough off my computer, and if it's only putting out 500ma, that is PLENTY!

16. Nuck

Nuck Ultra Member ECF Veteran

It really isn't. Either your computer is supplying the amperage demanded or the vape is pretty weak.

At 5v typical current requirements are:

901 - 1.67 amps
    801 - 1.42 amps
    410 - 1.85 amps
    510 - 2.17 amps

When the power source cannot meet the current demand, voltage drops when put under load. It's why a typical PT is quite weak compared to a 2 bat mod.

17. codfish124

OK i mad a new one that is just running off the battery works well but no pass through so ill probably switch it later when im done testing. gonna start work on the tut.

18. codfish124

how to make a mini USB pass through with battery and built in charger.

things u need
    soldering iron
    wire
    drill /drill bits to fit your switch / atty connector
    epoxy
    switch
    atty connector
    and the most important part the digipower i got mine at radio shack for 12.99 i think.

Digipower Solutions JS1-V3 Jumpstart Instant Cell Phone Charger in Cell Phone Batteries and Power Supplies at JR.com

not gonna go into hoe to make a atty connector there's a few how to's here already.

now that you have a digipower you need to pop the case apart. i take a small screw driver and pry at it a little.

[​IMG][​IMG]

it comes apart in 4 pieces don't lose the little black button

[​IMG][​IMG]

then i ling up the switch for hole drilling in the lid you'll probably have to modify the case a tad to get the lid to close with the switch.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    this is the case mod i had to do

then with the switch in place find out where to drill the hole for the atty connector.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

lock them both in place with the nuts

now take off the male mini usb port

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

then solder on 2 wires to the 2 out side lines ( the right one is ground so you can solder that strait to ground on the board or on the battery)

[​IMG][​IMG]

now assemble the case and the lid with all the new parts

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

i solder one lead of the switch right to my atty connector.

[​IMG][​IMG]

hook up wires make sure every thing fits right if you have a multimeter test for operation and voltage. fill with epoxy and vape away.

[​IMG][​IMG]

19. radiokaos

radiokaos Forum Supplier ECF Veteran

awesome work dude....

20. kc0cmp

this explains a few things:
    Why 801 seems to work better at higher voltage
    why 510 tastes like burnt monkey butt at high voltage
    why i no longer use > 3.7v batts in mods... I might make one for someone else, but prefer not to use ubervoltage myself...starts tastin like dung

: volcano
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.