best 5v mini usb pass through

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheekyToxicMonkey

Jan 22, 2010
Michigan
do you think it would be possible to use the black button in the middle of the device as a kill switch to completely shut off the power to the device so you dont accidently activate it in your pocket? also is it possible to add a switch that would allow you to switch from the 5 volts coming out of the usb, over to the 3 volts coming from the flashlight? some times i am in the mood for 5 volts and some times im in the mood for lower voltage.

Yeah, what dementia asked +1. :confused:
I just came in to a few of these digipower units and was wanting to give this a try but, was also wondering how this mod has been working out so far for everyone? :pop:

Thanks,
Kimberly

I just came in to a few of these digipower units and was wanting to give this a try but, was wondering how this mod has been working out so far for everyone? :pop:

Thanks,
Kimberly

Anyone? No one? :(
I have a 510 who's battery takes between 6 - 7 hours to charge and only lasts about 2-3 hours and a 901 with a sticking button. I'm looking for an alternative option to give a try and have these digipower units on hand. Please, any updates on this build would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

Thanks again,
Kimberly

I am also curious if people still like these. My Dad liked this model for a starter mod. Since it was easy and also had passthrough.

Understand I know nothing about making mods, but my father does and he loves gadgets. So I thought we (meaning my father) would make a Nicostick or the Digipower (or some form of a portable cell charger) since he has multiples of most of those types of parts sitting around his house minus batteries and connectors.

What is the battery life compared to a 1x14500 battery mod? Also curious if you can use an RCA with the Digipower since it seems so small and such a tight fit.

candre23

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2010
NJ
chipandre.com
Is there any reason why this board could not work with a standard 18650 battery? Digikey has a single 18650 battery holder, and I'm contemplating a mod that should have plenty of room for that and this little jumpstart board. It seems that if the board can charge a cell phone Li-ION, it should be able to charge a standard round cell. But I don't know if the protection circuit in the 18650 requires a special charger.

boondongle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2009
Doylestown, Pa
Keeping in mind that the entirety of my electronics knowledge has been gained by tinkering around with mods and reading online sources:

Is there any reason why this board could not work with a standard 18650 battery?
I don't see any reason why not. I'm planning on doing something like this in the future, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Digikey has a single 18650 battery holder, and I'm contemplating a mod that should have plenty of room for that and this little jumpstart board. It seems that if the board can charge a cell phone Li-ION, it should be able to charge a standard round cell.
The Digikey uses a li-po battery, but as far as I can tell, li-po and li-ion use the same chargers.

But I don't know if the protection circuit in the 18650 requires a special charger.
Protected and unprotected use the same chargers, so I don't see why this would be an issue for charging. The only problem I can see is that the protection on the battery might cut off before the protection on the USB board. That's why I'm thinking of using unprotected cells when I get around to using the Digikey board to charge a round cell.

Keeping in mind that the entirety of my electronics knowledge has been gained by tinkering around with mods and reading online sources:

I don't see any reason why not. I'm planning on doing something like this in the future, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

The Digikey uses a li-po battery, but as far as I can tell, li-po and li-ion use the same chargers.

Protected and unprotected use the same chargers, so I don't see why this would be an issue for charging. The only problem I can see is that the protection on the battery might cut off before the protection on the USB board. That's why I'm thinking of using unprotected cells when I get around to using the Digikey board to charge a round cell.

yea, ive been using it for a few days.... works great, but i want to grab a LiPo pack of the same voltage but more amperage, and cut the board in half and re-solder the traces to fit in other things. 12.99 for a charge circuit that'll handle 3.7v and Ramp it up to 5v and act as a pass-through is well worth it.

and with the 5v output i think the kr8's don't taste that great (better at 3.7v), but the 510 atomizer from the nicstick at 5v works perfect.

sooo still need a bartleby (still looking for something more usable for work like a GG-slim or something) for the cartomizers at 3.7 and this will be for driving and trouble at 5v.

Hey works with other single cell packs... picked up a 800ma one and runs fine.
Balsa-Mod-163980923

boondongle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2009
Doylestown, Pa
Hey works with other single cell packs... picked up a 800ma one and runs fine.
Balsa-Mod-163980923
Li-ion or li-po?

all this talk about cell phone batteries is makin me wish i still had my spare iphone case to make an ecig mod lol. i do still have a li-poly battery from an iphone that i may use. i just wish i knew the specs on it. 3.7v is all i know:confused:
I think the stock iPhone 3G battery is 1150mAh. Whichever model of phone or battery you have, it's probably in that general range.

codfish124

ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2009
Lakewood Co USA
Sorry iv been off in RC heli land so i havent been doing much modding but i had a run in with all of my 801 attys dieing at one time. ! found myself with a volcano ecig worked well till one of the patterys killed out. so digging around i came across this again still holding a charge i moded a 801 atty to be a 801 to 501 and bam still works like a champ.

This thread reminds me i need to build another one. Battery swelled on two wood mods i did with this hack... you might want to solder in a molex power connector for your LiPo pack to that PCB for ease of swapping.

OH, and a DCT 1.5ohm, with small stainless tank... LOL

the balsa mod didn't last that long

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread