best 5v mini usb pass through

Status
Not open for further replies.

boondongle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2009
Doylestown, Pa
I screwed something up in my skull pipe last week, the board drained the battery down till it was empty. I noticed it was warm so I cracked it open to cut the switches free, but that didn't help.

Ouch. Sorry to hear about that. At least now you have the fun of rebuilding!

gmojo

Oct 21, 2009
Well I did something wrong this time around. Last month I did up a quick mod using the Lenmar charger from radio shack since my regular batteries died the night before. The next day I turned the Digi into a skull pipe.

And in the past two days while trying to make a more permanent replacement for both of these they both drain too fast to be anything but a passthrough.

j0ker

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
MS Gulf Coast
It works as a standalone and as a passthru. I found that the performance suffers if you run down the battery and use it as passthru while charging, so I wouldn't run it all the way down if you can avoid. You can also solder it to the batt or to the usb output. One of mine lost output at the usb after a couple weeks of use, so I had to move it to the batter leads. The other I ripped off the trace when I was making it so I had to solder at the battery.

j0ker

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
MS Gulf Coast
I'm only guessing but I think there was some kind of booster on the output. I know you get 5v off a standard usb in a computer so maybe it had to boost the voltage for some or all phones. That's is just an uneducated guess of mine. I definitely got a little over 5v on both my digipowers. I'm about to do another one for a friend starting tomorrow, assuming I can get the digipower, I'll check it as well to verify these voltages.

sparky_ahs

ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2009
I just wanted to mark this thread to come back to it later, I like this idea but I believe the charger is rated too low (amperage wise) for the 18650's I just ordered. I think it would take as long to charge them as it would to drain them in the pv. I am curious as to what else we could tear apart and gut for this application. I was also thinking of gutting a two piece (one with the cord and the battery holder) single battery charger (ac) for the guts but even being an electrician I don't think I'd feel safe with a potential 120 volts going to my mouth trying to use it as a passthrough...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread