Best battery and reliable source for Reuleaux RX200 18650 batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squidward

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
United States
I'm upgrading my mod & atty and have gotten lots of great help on ECF this week. I'm a tootle puffer but I think I want the Reuleaux RX200, just based on size and comfort, and plan to vape it at low (<20) watts. Assuming that's not a ridiculously terrible mod choice for my vaping style, I'm getting ready to order the RX200 and need to order batteries, too.

I've read a lot of horror stories about rechargeable batteries exploding/catching fire, etc., and with so much counterfeit gear on the market, I want to be careful here. Can you guys recommend a reliable 18650 battery and a reliable source from which to purchase, without having to pay premium prices?

Also, I've seen some 18650's marked as "high drain." What's that, and do I want it?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I use the LG HG2 3000mah 20 amp batteries in my RX200. Good mix of amp and mah. I get almost three days between charges at 30 watts. Any 18650 battery with at least 20 amps continuous discharge rate from Lg, Samsung, or Sony will do though.

I recommend purchasing from:

RTD Vapor
Illumn
IMR Batteries
Orbtronics

battery-chart-jpg.536518

Some helpful reading on batteries and chargers since you appear to be new to mods.

Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries Part 1
Battery Basics for Mods: The Definative Battery Guide for Vaping
Guide to Choosing a Li-ion Battery Charger

Last edited:

Squidward

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
United States
I use the LG HG2 3000mah 20 amp batteries in my RX200. Good mix of amp and mah. I get almost three days between charges at 30 watts. Any 18650 battery with at least 20 amps continuous discharge rate from Lg, Samsung, or Sony will do though.

I recommend purchasing from:

Great info, thank you. I ordered six of the LG HG2 3000mah batteries from IMR (RTD & Illumn were out of stock), and I'll read through the info you suggested. I don't have much of a head for technicalities so I don't know how much I'll be able to absorb, but I really appreciate your pointing me in the right direction. I'd already ordered a Nitecore D4 charger and based on my reading here, that should be a good start.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I've read a lot of horror stories about rechargeable batteries exploding/catching fire, etc., ...
Also, I've seen some 18650's marked as "high drain." What's that, and do I want it?
High drain batteries are explained in the two articles that I sent links to you. Basically, high drain batteries have higher amp (current) ratings and are capable of high bursts of energy release. That's why they are recommended for today's demanding vaporizers.

About the stories about rechargeable batteries exploding/catching fire...that was/is true of the ICR and Li-Po batteries, but the IMR and INR batteries which we commonly use in vaporizers today are a safer chemistry. They may vent some hot gas, but are not likely to vent flames or explode, especially in a regulated mod which has protection circuitry against shorts.

I only recall reading of one incident of batteries exploding in a regulated mod that was using safe chemistry batteries (IMR or INR). The incident occurred recently to a new vaper in the Phillipines who had just removed the batteries from his charger and put them into his mod. The mod (a two-battery regulated box mod if I recall) didn't even have an atomizer attached. Within minutes, sparks and flames came from the mod, which happened to cause burns to his girlfriends legs who was nearby. She had to be treated at a hospital for the burns.

He was using good, new batteries (LG HG2 3000mah 20amp cdr). Upon further questioning, the user admitted that he might have inadvertently put the batteries in the wrong way, which could have caused the hard short.

Concerning your RX200, be aware of the battery orientation. The first two batteries go in positive end down, and the third battery goes in positive side up.

* typo fixed

Last edited:
Reactions: Squidward

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
About the stories about rechargeable batteries exploding/catching fire...that was/is true of the ICR and Li-Po batteries, but the IMR and ICR batteries which we commonly use in vaporizers today are a safer chemistry. They may vent some hot gas, but are not likely to vent flames or explode, especially in a regulated mod which has protection circuitry against shorts.[/B]

I think you mean INR in the highlighted passage, not ICR.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Reactions: Squidward
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread