• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Best / Cheapest place to buy Nicotine base in Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shipwreck

Jun 4, 2015
Ontario, Canada
I ordered 500mls 48 nic a few months ago from Hydavape and its good nic. I got 2 - 250ml white plastic bottles well wrapped on a box along with the caps being sealed with a glue gun I thought was a nice touch. I ordered 50/50 since I like 60/40 and my wife vapes 50/50 so It seemed the way to go. I will be making a order soon but of the 100 nic and I'll cut it myself down to the 48 I'm use to using.

Thanks @AlterUrEgo . You just brought up a question I have. I was wondering if I should get the 48 nic or the 100... I want to save money over the long haul.... Am I right that I will be able to use less of the 100 to get to an 18mg content than I would with the 48 and therefore the 100 would last longer? I'm still studying the DIY stuff but haven't gotten to the parts yet regarding nic content.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I like to work with the bigger portions the 48nic uses. Buying the 48 was my first nic purchase and its what I worked with. I don't want to have to alter all my formulas to accommodate the 100 nic. I'll buy the 100 nic as my 2nd purchase from what I learned handling the 48 nic. I'm also assuming my VG/PG is going to cost less in the long run having me cut it and not the Hydavape dude

Reactions: Shipwreck

Shipwreck

Jun 4, 2015
Ontario, Canada
I like to work with the bigger portions the 48nic uses. Buying the 48 was my first nic purchase and its what I worked with. I don't want to have to alter all my formulas to accommodate the 100 nic. I'll buy the 100 nic as my 2nd purchase from what I learned handling the 48 nic. I'm also assuming my VG/PG is going to cost less in the long run having me cut it and not the Hydavape dude

I'm just starting, so no set techique yet LOL

vincom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Philippines
Thanks @AlterUrEgo . You just brought up a question I have. I was wondering if I should get the 48 nic or the 100... I want to save money over the long haul.... Am I right that I will be able to use less of the 100 to get to an 18mg content than I would with the 48 and therefore the 100 would last longer? I'm still studying the DIY stuff but haven't gotten to the parts yet regarding nic content.
If u don't know the diff between 48 and 100. nic u need to read more about diy juice

Bobx

Mar 9, 2014
Canada
I do know the difference but just haven't gotten to the part about which is best to use regarding getting more out of which.
Using this calculator will help you out.
E-Liquid Recipe Name
Hydavape Pricing using 1L of each Nic and 1L of each PG/VG. This does not include any flavors so that will bring the cost up. As you can see it is cheaper to use 100mg/ml but not by much. Sure you will use a lot of Nic so it will last longer but if cost is a factor then your not saving much. It's your call on which way you want to go.

Capture_036.jpg

Capture_037.jpg

Shipwreck

Jun 4, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Using this calculator will help you out.
E-Liquid Recipe Name
Hydavape Pricing using 1L of each Nic and 1L of each PG/VG. This does not include any flavors so that will bring the cost up. As you can see it is cheaper to use 100mg/ml but not by much. Sure you will use a lot of Nic so it will last longer but if cost is a factor then your not saving much. It's your call on which way you want to go.

Thanks @Bobx that's what I was looking for, probably wasn't being clear on it.... was the cost ratio. Been reading up on it more because my first batch of ingredients should be here any day now.

Bobx

Mar 9, 2014
Canada
Thanks @Bobx that's what I was looking for, probably wasn't being clear on it.... was the cost ratio. Been reading up on it more because my first batch of ingredients should be here any day now.
Book mark that calculator for future use. Should you change venders with different pricing your bottom line will change. Everyone is under the impression that the higher the nic mg/ml the less you will use, and for the most part that is true. But when you break it right down and add in the cost factor Things can change.
An example here of a supplier I have bought from that only sold 36, 48 and 60mg/ml. You would think that 60mg/ml is the best way to go. It was not. I ran the 3 through the calculator without the PG/VG, just nic. Price wise the 48mg/ml was the way to go. Even 36mg/ml was cheaper than going the higher 60mg/ml.
This was for 30ml's
36mg/ml = $1.50
48mg/ml = $1.46
60mg/ml = $1.53

It all depends on the vender pricing, and every vender is different.

Bobx

Mar 9, 2014
Canada
I just may add here that if you really want to get .... about DIY, (like me:D) I would suggest to get a Nic testing kit. I did and bought a NiKiTest kit. Well worth it to know exactly what your Nic strength is. They more than likely will not be what was advertised.
I have bough 48mg/ml from 3 different suppliers and none were at 48mg/ml. One was at 55.81mg/ml, One was at 45.43 mg/ml and one was at 42.19mg/ml.
My target when mixing is 18mg and that high nic of 55.81mg/ml turned out to be a target of 21mg.
Now I add the proper numbers in the calculator rather than just 48mg/ml.

Zurd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Montréal
I have bough 48mg/ml from 3 different suppliers and none were at 48mg/ml. One was at 55.81mg/ml, One was at 45.43 mg/ml and one was at 42.19mg/ml.

It's normal to not be 100% accurate with the nicotine test kit since you need to match colors that are extremely subtle to differentiate when swirling the liquid. Do the test 10 times by 10 people and you'll get 10 results!

The nicotine test kit gives a pretty good approximation of the concentration but it's not 100% accurate.

Reactions: Caro123

Bobx

Mar 9, 2014
Canada
It's normal to not be 100% accurate with the nicotine test kit since you need to match colors that are extremely subtle to differentiate when swirling the liquid. Do the test 10 times by 10 people and you'll get 10 results!

The nicotine test kit gives a pretty good approximation of the concentration but it's not 100% accurate.
First off nothing is 100% in DIY, and I hear what your saying. 10 times 10 people 10 different results. I buy that. Everyone's eye site will be different. But were not talking 10 10 10 here, were taking just me, (or just anyone else) and what they see and how they see the final color. Once you establish that that is what you will go by. 100% accurate I would not think so but a lot closer that someone mixing up nic from bulk and ending up with a little to much of something or a little less of something and calling it XXmg/ml. Lets face it once they have their receipt set they just mix to that and never recheck with a nic test kit. Mistakes can be made!! There was one place in the States that had sold Nic at I believe was around 2 or 300mg/ml instead of 100mg/ml. There was a BIG mistake. They did catch it and corrected it with their customers.

Doing my own testing may not be 100% accurate but it does get me closer to the content and protects against a total screw up from a vender.;)

Reactions: Zurd

Shipwreck

Jun 4, 2015
Ontario, Canada
I just may add here that if you really want to get .... about DIY, (like me:D) I would suggest to get a Nic testing kit. I did and bought a NiKiTest kit. Well worth it to know exactly what your Nic strength is. They more than likely will not be what was advertised.
My target when mixing is 18mg and that high nic of 55.81mg/ml turned out to be a target of 21mg.
Now I add the proper numbers in the calculator rather than just 48mg/ml.

HA! I already have the NikiTest website bookmarked and ready to order LOL.

Caro123

Apr 11, 2015
Nova Scotia
I also like the calculator DIY e-juice | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators and I change it on the right where it says mg. I bought a small bottle of nic 50 mg / ml from east coast vapes they were fast and efficient and I bought a liter from the U.S. and held my breathe it was very cheap and the quality was good it was 100 mg / ml and I transferred it into brown bottles and wrapped it up and put it in my fridge except for about 30 Mls that I added some vg to to make it 50 mg / ml ( I feel a little more comfortable working with 50mg / ml even then I use gloves and treat it like I am doing a sterile dressing:) so far it has worked well. most Canadian nic suppliers need to charge a lot more I don't think it can be avoided simply because of the difficulty of getting it here however who knows maybe that will change

Shipwreck

Jun 4, 2015
Ontario, Canada
I also like the calculator DIY e-juice | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators and I change it on the right where it says mg. I bought a small bottle of nic 50 mg / ml from east coast vapes they were fast and efficient and I bought a liter from the U.S. and held my breathe it was very cheap and the quality was good it was 100 mg / ml and I transferred it into brown bottles and wrapped it up and put it in my fridge except for about 30 Mls that I added some vg to to make it 50 mg / ml ( I feel a little more comfortable working with 50mg / ml even then I use gloves and treat it like I am doing a sterile dressing:) so far it has worked well. most Canadian nic suppliers need to charge a lot more I don't think it can be avoided simply because of the difficulty of getting it here however who knows maybe that will change

LOL I have Steam Engine book marked too, been using it for my coil wrapping. I also downloaded the Juice Me up calculator and this one here:

New Calculator to try | E-Cigarette Forum

I like the last one there because it has calculations for cost as well.

I was going to pre mix my nic with PG as well @Caro123 to limit the handling of the 100mg, which brings up a question I had. I'm pretty sure I know but I want to clarify so I know I know, if you know what I mean... LOL... When you premix 100% down to say 50mg or 48mg, when you use the calculator in the nic part do you just put 50mg and 100% PG if that's what you've mixed it down to? I'm pretty sure I'm correct on that but I just want clarification for personal peace of mind to be double positive I'm doing it right.

Caro123

Apr 11, 2015
Nova Scotia
LOL I have Steam Engine book marked too, been using it for my coil wrapping. I also downloaded the Juice Me up calculator and this one here:

I was going to pre mix my nic with PG as well @Caro123 to limit the handling of the 100mg, which brings up a question I had. I'm pretty sure I know but I want to clarify so I know I know, if you know what I mean... LOL... When you premix 100% down to say 50mg or 48mg, when you use the calculator in the nic part do you just put 50mg and 100% PG if that's what you've mixed it down to? I'm pretty sure I'm correct on that but I just want clarification for personal peace of mind to be double positive I'm doing it right.
I have only used the steam engine one ( I couldn't get the other to download for whatever reason) in the steam one .
WHERE it says nic unit on far left I click mg/ml
then under nic strength I type 50 mg/ml and I type in ratio block 50 vg and 50 pg because that is what I HAVE .
If I had 50 mg/ml in pg only I would use 100 pg ratio.
On the far right I type my target strength ie 12 mg per ml
I am quite .... about double checking my math ( was a nurse for too many years not to be)

Bobx

Mar 9, 2014
Canada
I heard about the story where they got nic quite higher than what they ordered. Scary story! It is quite a must to test the nicotine when you buy it. But no need for a refund if you test a nicotine at 92mg and it's supposed to be at 100mg though :)
OH I would not request a refund on the nic if it was not what it was suppose to be. I would just use the result that I got from the test. If some one sent me something that was 300mg/ml and not the 100mg/ml I would still keep it and adjust accordingly. That's why, (to me anyway) testing the nic when you first get it is a must!

Shipwreck

Jun 4, 2015
Ontario, Canada
I have only used the steam engine one ( I couldn't get the other to download for whatever reason) in the steam one .
WHERE it says nic unit on far left I click mg/ml
then under nic strength I type 50 mg/ml and I type in ratio block 50 vg and 50 pg because that is what I HAVE .
If I had 50 mg/ml in pg only I would use 100 pg ratio.
On the far right I type my target strength ie 12 mg per ml
I am quite .... about double checking my math ( was a nurse for too many years not to be)

Nice, so I was right then. Thanks for confirming @Caro123

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA

Shipwreck I'd go with the 100mg nic. When I started DIY I asked in the experts section. It was what I was recommended. I do not dilute mine, I am careful and have no children around to be concerned about. It's easy to work with using the calculator.

I would also suggest you not make too much juice to start. If you're aiming to go sub ohm and coil building you'll want to cut your nic level from the 18 to 6 in your juices. The only way I know to lower the nic level in a juice is to make more of the same in a zero and mix the two together.

Reactions: Caro123

Caro123

Apr 11, 2015
Nova Scotia
OH I would not request a refund on the nic if it was not what it was suppose to be. I would just use the result that I got from the test. If some one sent me something that was 300mg/ml and not the 100mg/ml I would still keep it and adjust accordingly. That's why, (to me anyway) testing the nic when you first get it is a must!
good idea but it might be a good ideas to let them know it could get quite problematic for the dude who gets 300 mg and thinks it's 100mg and doesn't nick test - danny45 has a nice blog on testing the taste and quality of you nic of course that wouldn't do much for the strength.

Reactions: Bobx
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread