Best Dual 26650 Unregulated Series Box Mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
There are lots of parallel models out there. Haven't seen a series build though. You can build one of those for about $35. All the parts are on ebay. Parallel would be a better way to go though. You can build a lot lower and the battery life will be better. I have one and it will run a .25 ohm triple build for 6 - 8 hours on a single charge.

silvertorch

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2014
Chicago
... Parallel would be a better way to go though. You can build a lot lower and the battery life will be better. I have one and it will run a .25 ohm triple build for 6 - 8 hours on a single charge.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the atty is built for the same amount of power (Watts) wouldn't 2 batteries perform the same, in parallel and series?

silvertorch

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2014
Chicago
No, I get that. But since the voltage is doubled, one doesn't need to build that low to get the same amount of power (Watts). I think mathematically, you'll still get the same amount of vape time.

In a perfect world a mech (4.2 volts) running an atty at 0.25 ohms will net 70.56 Watts of power, in the same perfect world a series mech (8.4 volts) needs only a 1 ohm build to reach the same 70.56 Watts.

Watt-hours are calculated using milliampere-hour and volts using the follow equation.
Wh = mAh × V / 1000

Given an MNKE cell with a rating of 3500 mAh and a maximum output voltage of 4.2, we can make the follow calculations.
Parallel: (3500 *2) * 4.2 /1000 = 29.4 Wh
Series: 3500 * (4.2 * 2) / 1000 = 29.4 Wh

We get the same amount of Energy.

Reactions: Rossum

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
I get the math too. Watts are watts. But if you use only one of those 2 builds, your batteries will last twice as long on a charge in a parallel mod than in a series mod, because you have twice the mAh. If you put an apple on one mod and an orange on the other, it skews the math. If you put the same apple on each mod, the parallel mod will last longer on a single charge. I.e. if you have, say, a Nautilus with a 1.8 ohm coil it puts out 9.8W and draws 2.33A on a parallel mod. On a series mod, it puts out 39.2W and draws 4.67A. Either way you have the same finite mAh storage capacity, but you blow through it twice as fast on a series mod.

silvertorch

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2014
Chicago
I get the math too. Watts are watts. But if you use only one of those 2 builds, your batteries will last twice as long on a charge in a parallel mod than in a series mod, because you have twice the mAh. If you put an apple on one mod and an orange on the other, it skews the math. If you put the same apple on each mod, the parallel mod will last longer on a single charge. I.e. if you have, say, a Nautilus with a 1.8 ohm coil it puts out 9.8W and draws 2.33A on a parallel mod. On a series mod, it puts out 39.2W and draws 4.67A. Either way you have the same finite mAh storage capacity, but you blow through it twice as fast on a series mod.

Right, but you wouldn't vape a 1.8 ohm coil at 40 Watts.

Most people that vape on a regulated devices adjust Wattage to taste and in the same respect most people that vape on a mech or unregulated device build their coils to taste.
Comparing Watts to Watts is like comparing apples to apples, in the end its the wattage applied to heating element that determines flavor, heat, etc.

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
It's the same in a regulated device. If you double the mAh's, you double the mAh's. Doesn't matter if it's regulated or not. You still get twice the run time on a parallel mod. I have an iPV4 and an iStick 100W. I have a CLT2+ with a huge pair of claptons @ .26 ohms. I can run it at 80W on my iPV for about 2.5 hours or about 4 hours in the iStick. Same with my KFL @ 1.6 ohms and 20W. I get about 8 hours on the iPV4 and can go all day (at least 17 hours) on the iStick and still have some charge left for the first couple of hours the next morning.

silvertorch

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2014
Chicago
It's the same in a regulated device. If you double the mAh's, you double the mAh's. Doesn't matter if it's regulated or not. You still get twice the run time on a parallel mod. I have an iPV4 and an iStick 100W. I have a CLT2+ with a huge pair of claptons @ .26 ohms. I can run it at 80W on my iPV for about 2.5 hours or about 4 hours in the iStick. Same with my KFL @ 1.6 ohms and 20W. I get about 8 hours on the iPV4 and can go all day (at least 17 hours) on the iStick and still have some charge left for the first couple of hours the next morning.

Wha?!
How is one regulated board being less efficient than another have anything to do with series and parallel mechs?

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
It's not the chips, man. If anything, I should get less run time out of the iStick because it doesn't put out as true a voltage at the 510 as the iPV. I have to crank it up sightly higher to get the same wattage at the coil.

In a perfect world a mech (4.2 volts) running an atty at 0.25 ohms will net 70.56 Watts of power, in the same perfect world a series mech (8.4 volts) needs only a 1 ohm build to reach the same 70.56 Watts.
Try to forget this part of it. It's irrelevant.

The energy coming out of the battery is "current" and is measured in amps not volts or watts. The stored energy capacity of a battery is measured in mAh or 1/1000 of an amp drawn for 1 hour.

If you put 2 batteries end to end with a positive to a negative, you double the output voltage, but you essentially make them one battery. When you double the output voltage, you halve the run time of their stored energy. If you put them side by side, you still have 2 batteries that share the load equally, each keeping their separate amounts of stored energy. If you have a single battery with 3000 mAh, you have a single battery with 3000 mAh. If you have 2 batteries with 3000 mAh each, you have 6000 mAh. If you pull 4.2V out of a single battery with 3000 mAh, it will run for .714... hours even if the battery can put out 8.4V. If you pull the same 4.2V out of 2 batteries with 3000 mAh each, they will run for 1.428... hours.

silvertorch

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2014
Chicago
The energy coming out of the battery is "current" and is measured in amps not volts or watts. The stored energy capacity of a battery is measured in mAh or 1/1000 of an amp drawn for 1 hour.

Again I could be wrong, but energy is measured in Wh (Watt-hours) not current. Current is the rate at which electricity flows through a system.

If you don't believe me use Steam Engine's battery drain calculator.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Serial vs Parallel Dual Battery Mods
Some mods are designed to use two batteries simultaneously. Series (batteries stacked end to end) will double the voltage output, but the capacity (mah) and amps will stay the same as using only one battery alone. Parallel (side by side) batteries will double the amp and mah capacity while the voltage output remains the same as using single battery.
Serial and Parallel Battery

Series.jpg

When a mod is hooked up in series, the voltage is added, while the amperage (current load) and mAh remains the same.

proxy.php

When you have a mod hooked up in parallel, the voltage is the same and the amps and mAh are added.

JDC1958

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2015
I am bumping this because I just bought a DR Plooms Series Mod. Regular price is 85 dollars but if you shop and search you might be able to find one cheaper.

He gives a lifetime warranty and is local to where I live in Ohio. If interested you can also hit him up in Facebook. This is the same guy who hooked up a mod to a car battery; I am not near that radical but his mods are all about the clouds.

I am going to start building some higher ohm coils soon for it; already found out that higher ohms vape better on a series than a parallel.

My RDA's to work with are a Temple and Hannya. I might buy something smaller like a derringer or tugboat just for this mod.

A little more info on what my local vape shop told me. They also carried the Hammer Of God Series box mod and flat out said either is equal when it comes to a hit and being able to produce clouds with equal setups. I picked the Dr Plooms due to the weight and easier grip of two batteries vs the four battery monster Hammer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tommy-Chi

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
    I am bumping this because I just bought a DR Plooms Series Mod. Regular price is 85 dollars but if you shop and search you might be able to find one cheaper.

He gives a lifetime warranty and is local to where I live in Ohio. If interested you can also hit him up in Facebook. This is the same guy who hooked up a mod to a car battery; I am not near that radical but his mods are all about the clouds.

I am going to start building some higher ohm coils soon for it; already found out that higher ohms vape better on a series than a parallel.

My RDA's to work with are a Temple and Hannya. I might buy something smaller like a derringer or tugboat just for this mod.

A little more info on what my local vape shop told me. They also carried the Hammer Of God Series box mod and flat out said either is equal when it comes to a hit and being able to produce clouds with equal setups. I picked the Dr Plooms due to the weight and easier grip of two batteries vs the four battery monster Hammer.

Thanks! Always on the lookout for new devices. This one I need to fill in Feb. :D

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread