best guage wire and wraps for igo-w

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigLebowski

ECF Veteran
May 17, 2013
Clearfield, UT
Depends on what resistance you are looking for, and remember when you build a dual coil, the resistance if cut in half. I.E. if you build two 2 ohm coils, it will be a 1 ohm build. The higher gauged kanthal will take less wraps to achieve higher resistance, I use a 10 wrap microcoil on my igo-l with 29g kanthal and get around 1.5-1.8 ohms. I haven't built a dual coil due to the fact that I want enough battery to get me through the day and have no need to wrap two 3 ohm coils to make it work on my SVD or Vamo. You don't have to build a dual coil with the Igo-W if you don't want to, I will eventually pick one up just because it has the holes in the posts, makes it a lot easier to get longer legs without hotlegs.

Jazzi Mike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2013
Michigan
Ugh there are so many variables to this question, it will be hard to answer. When building dual coils, keep in mind that the resistance will be half of both coils added up. So say you build both coils at 3.0 ohms, your resistance will be 1.5 ohms. Depending on what device you are using your igo on, most VV/VW mods do not fire underneath 1.2/1.3 Ohms, so 1.5 would be a good starting point.

As far as what resistance wire would be best, 32 or 34 should get you close. Anything above that, the wires get too thin.

I would recommend you try simply building a working single coil first before attempting a dual coil setup. I haven't seen much as far as videos that get into rebuilding the IGO W, but I have seen a ton with the IGO-L. I would say maybe watch some of those and watch some more videos that are building dual coil setups of different brands.

Given that you are so new to RDAs, I think you should do a lot more research before attempting to build your own. Lastly, ALWAYS CHECK YOUR RESISTANCE BEFORE FIRING ON A MOD! Get a multimeter, ohms meter, or use aa mod that checks resistances.

xsaqzw

Jan 10, 2012
Spartanburg, SC
I just ordered an Igo-W as well. Along with some 29, 32, and 34 gauge kanthal - and 1.5mm and 2mm Ekowool. I'm using a Provari and SVD. My first attempt will be with 32g or 34g on 2mm ekowool shooting for ~2Ohm range. I'll play around with it a bit, and maybe try a dual coil setup. After that, I'll be trying microcoils with the 29g.

Maybe I should have picked up some 30g as well? Eh, I'll let you know how it goes later in the week.

Jazzi Mike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2013
Michigan
Awsome thank you. I'm using a k100 mod. Well my husband is. I have a little Phoenix v4 on an ego twist lol. We got the igo from a local b&m and they built it but he wanted to do it himself. We have 26 g wire and it gets really hot and taste burnt. Where do I get an ohm tester? I make mine on my phoenix myself but was shown how to. Thx

You can use a multimeter, which is probably a good thing to have around with a mechanical mod. This guy is very popular with people that build their own coils: Cartomizer and Atomizer Ohm Meter
MadVapes runs out of them all the time. If you really want it, sign up to get an email when they restock it. That is how I found mine.

Despite being able to wrap your own coils, you really are playing with fire by not checking it on a multimeter (or some other ohm meter) before firing it on a battery. 26 is pretty low. I'm surprised you get enough resistance for your Phoenix to fire on your ego Twist. Being new to rebuildables and all, I would really, really recommend you check any coils you guys make before firing them on your husband's K100. Mechanicals have no protection, meaning in the case of a short, there is more potential for the batteries to melt, etc...

notawoman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2012
Las Vegas
Awsome thank you. I'm using a k100 mod. Well my husband is. I have a little Phoenix v4 on an ego twist lol. We got the igo from a local b&m and they built it but he wanted to do it himself. We have 26 g wire and it gets really hot and taste burnt. Where do I get an ohm tester? I make mine on my phoenix myself but was shown how to. Thx

Dual coils with 26 gauge? The ohms on that would be extremely low. Even on a single coil it would be really low. You really need an ohm meter, it's mandatory for rebuilding.

I just wrapped an igo w 5 wraps 28 guage wire on a 2 mm ekowool. with 2 coils I came out with .5 ohms when I checked it on my vamo. A APV won't fire that low but, a mech will. I love the taste I get from a rba on a mech. Maybe it's just me! Oh! At .5 ohms the Igo w vapes really hot. I opened up the air holes to 1/16 inch. now it really breathes and isn't so hot that you can't stand it.

CloudZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
2.5 ohm microcoils of 30 gauge kanthal at 1/16" ID works pretty well. I think they are 10 or 11 wraps each, all touching, with short organic cotton ball wicks. This is the best use for microcoils I've found yet, since resistance needs to be higher and a lot of intensity is retained. I tried a dual micro at 0.8 ohm overall and it was almost too violent. 1.25 ohm overall is quite smooth and still loads of VTF. Relatively easy on batteries too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread