Best high drain 18650 batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
For the most part, this is true; and Orbtronics openly admit this. They often use the same model numbers when they rewrap Panasonic cells, sometimes adding a protection circuit or positive button top.
Wait. Is that for their own brand batteries, or did you mean they will rewrap a panasonic and call it a sony?

Reactions: Darth Omerta

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Reactions: Darth Omerta

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Hans Wermhat said:
    (scratches orbtronics of list of reputable suppliers...)
    No, don't do that. Orbtronics is one of the reputable good guys. They openly state what they do with Panasonic batteries (plenty of companies re-wrap batteries), and sell authentic name brand batteries (Sony, Samsung, LG, et al). They even warn about how some manufacturers/vendors post "pulse ratings" instead of real continuous discharge rates in their marketing specs.

So all these cells claiming 35, 38 , 40 amp capabilities are BSing on the capacities then
    You got it. :thumb:

There are no 18650 batteries made that are over 30 amps CDR.

If they advertise over 30 amps, they are over-rating the specs for marketing purposes, or using the "pulse" rating; which we pay no attention to in the vape world.

The "CDR /continuous discharge rating" in amps is the standard specification for amp limits within the battery industry. It is a determination made by the manufacturer and represents the amp limit a battery can be safely used before it will fail.

The "pulse or burst" discharge rating is not a specification standard within the battery industry. Every manufacturer or vendor seems to have their own definition of what the pulse rating is. So this makes it impossible comparing the specs between different manufacturers.

A pulse discharge rating is any use above the continuous discharge rating. It is never safe and not within the intended operating parameters of the battery. You should not operate your device above the continuous rating if you can help it. The pulse rating is a condition in which the battery is on basically a buildup to failure. It is exceeding the sustainable and intended discharge rate of the battery. It is inappropriate for a consumer device to operate in the pulse range of its battery.

Which would be why we shouldn't rely on any pulse rating. Any failure, mechanical or electronic, that fires the mod will operate in the 'continuous' mode. If your setup relies on a pulse rating, it's instantly over spec.

If your amp draw is safely in the continuous discharge range, your coil could act almost like a fuse and burn out before the battery is stressed. If you are already running the battery at the edge of it's limits (pulse), there is no margin of safety.​

Last edited:

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015

SpaceApe

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    I have always used VTC4'S & VTC5'S for all my vape needs but authentic cells are nearly impossible to find so I got the Samsung 25r's and they far surpass the life of my Sony's in my Sigelei 150 box but I want some hard hitting reliable mech cells so what do you guys suggest?

you say you have tried the samsung 25r's I'm assuming those were the light blue ones (25r(2)'s). Recently Samsung released the 25r(5)'s which have a green wrapper. They are supposed to have a lower internal resistance and increased lifespan due to the improved chemistry. They certainly seem to hit harder in my mech's than the blue ones but then again it could all be in my mind...

Wraith504

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 25, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    you say you have tried the samsung 25r's I'm assuming those were the light blue ones (25r(2)'s). Recently Samsung released the 25r(5)'s which have a green wrapper. They are supposed to have a lower internal resistance and increased lifespan due to the improved chemistry. They certainly seem to hit harder in my mech's than the blue ones but then again it could all be in my mind...
    I think they are the same.... But Im not 100% sure.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    The new Samsung 30Q looks promising: 3Ah, 30A continuous.
    First test graphs I've seen (UK forum) show a very nice discharge curve @30A.
    Not sure how easy they're to find at the moment, tho

It's a great battery...
    Samsung INR18650-30Q 15A 3000mAh Bench Test Results | E-Cigarette Forum

While you can run the 30Q at 30A, especially when pulsed, it is a 15A-rated battery that I rate at 20A. In my opinon, at 30A you have very little safety margin keeping that battery fron venting in case the mod autofires or a mech mod button breaks or gets accidentally pressed in a pocket. It will easily reach 110°C.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread