Status
Not open for further replies.

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
+1 for the REO Mini or the REO Grand. They're all mechanical and totally awesome. The Mini runs on a 14500 battery (3.7V) and holds a 3ml bottle of juice; the Grand runs on an 18650 (3.7V) battery and has a 6ml bottle. They can run atomizers or cartomizers. I've had mine for 5-6 months (one of each) and will never have another mod (unless it's another REO.) Effortless vaping at its best. Here's the link: reosmods.com

Jan

DownOnTheFarm

May 26, 2011
East Texas
You'll be hard-pressed to find someone who favors mechanical mods, yet doesn't like Reos. Their popularity is actually about the closest thing to a con about them. They sell out quickly, so you have to be one your toes to get one--especially if you want a particular color combo. On the upside, given their popularity and the nature of collecting, they turn up on the classifieds fairly regularly. Add in a very supportive community and high resale value, and I don't see how you could go wrong.

If you prefer tube mods, I've gotten a lot of use out of my Alpha Ultramax from Innovapor and my Copper from Vapor Alley. The ultramax is lighter and a bit fancier, though it requires a bit of care to keep it shiny/functioning at its best. The copper is heavier, but I don't think twice about using it where I might get wet,dirty,greasy, etc. Both are tough mods, and I plan to continue using them. The P+ line from Super T is another well-regarded option--I've just ordered a P+ 10440 as my fancy-dress mod.

And now for something completely different: Epipemods, perhaps the most pleasing to the eye, and the V2s drop in a week or so.

Last edited:

FunkyVapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2011
Niagara Falls, Canada
Yeah did look at the Reos.....but do prefer tube mods......still...plan on getting a few different mods for different applications.....driving, working, playing with the kids,...and I need to get a facemask type for gaming:laugh:

As per your thread title, there is no better mechanical Mod than the GGTS, come poke around at the GG sumforum start a thread ask some questions, you'll be glad you did

atavanhalen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Wolverine Lake, Michigan
Disclaimer;This is my opinion and I am not trying to put down any mod or mod maker. We have lots of options and as they say different strokes for different folks.

This is a really simple question imo, The Precise Plus in whatever battery and yes even the 10440 is a kick .... vape, just has bad batt time. I have owned a ton of mechanical mods and there was always something that I didnt like, the precise plus in my opinion has all of the bases covered. I do not want to go into a huge fanboy rant(too late lol) but if I have to just talk about one reason why I like it better than the rest, it would be the triple plated contacts, they are brass, plated with copper, then plated with 24k gold, then plated with Rhodium. The reason the Rhodium is on the outside is because Rhodium does not tarnish, which means no more polishing contacts, you just wipe them off with a paper towel or microfiber. It hits as hard as I have felt with a 3.7volt device and the consistency is amazing because of those contacts. I always liked the old precise but I gave up on it because of the brass contacts and the consistency issues that come along with them, but when I got the plus I quickly realized that I found the mechanical mod for me. Man, I was unsuccessful in respect to the rant but I feel pretty strongly about this so I cant help it :) Good luck finding a mod!

Last edited:

DownOnTheFarm

May 26, 2011
East Texas
"Best" is a hard thing to nail down, TBH. I think a lot of folks here would agree you are on the right track with your plan to have different mods for different occasions, just as you would outfits.

GGs do seem to represent a certain pinnacle among mechanicals, though some find their learning curve steep and their complexity daunting. As to their place in the vaping world, they seem to find more proper homes with experienced/mechanically-inclined users who are dedicated to vaping as a hobby, above and beyond satisfying the need for a reliable vape. (Not to knock the hobby aspect--I feel that the variety it adds has made it much easier for me to embrace vaping and distract me from cravings.)

This seems like a common debate, one with parallels in many other pursuits. Ultimately, it boils down to whether you want something this time that functions with less fuss, or something more customizable to individual tastes. (Or, on the gripping hand, the mod you find most striking aesthetically.)

Based on your tube mod preference, your recent intro to vaping, and the improvements of the new P+ line (as mentioned above), a P+ might be "best" for you now. Spendy, but versatile enough in function and occasion. I believe the 18650 offers the most voltage options with battery combos, or you can get a Kick for variable voltage on some models.

Of course, it's all different strokes, different folks, YMMV. For me, a Copper could survive a nuke, an Ultramax looks like a lightsaber, and epipemods are like vaping a work of art.

Last edited:

Njt07

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2011
Ft Hood TX
I have a Reo mini which is my go to field exercise/deployment mech mod. I also had an Alpha from altsmoke which is also mechanical. I purchased the alpha specifically because it would be virtually impossible to break the "button", the entire top cap is the button and it also uses the same 14500 batteries that the Reo mini uses which gave me options as far as if i wanted to use a tank or bottom feed without adapters.

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
Take into consideration carrying a mod around and about the house and out and about. How well will it fit/stay in a pocket, whether shirt or pants, or do you have to have some sort of carry case for belt or lanyard? Can you set it down on a table without it getting knocked over with the slightest jar or rolling off.

I have several tube Mods I've kept and several I've traded off for REOs. I use various carto tanks, from standard mass produced to fancy glass/pyrex. But in my environment, moving around a lot inside and outside, sometimes sitting, but frequently working, and with a few dogs, 2 X Heelers, 2 X Labradoodles, and 1 X English Mastiff, all young and active, I have to take special precautions to protect the tube Mods and tanks from getting knocked over or jarred off of tables, by bumps and jars by the dogs. Tanks don't travel as well in pockets or purses. Virtually all tanks will leak at some point.

I do love my tube mods but REOs are my true love. I even have some wood REOs that, although, not mechanical, are my designated "swimmers" for use in the spa. (No REO floats.) They are well waxed, inside and out, and despite numerous dips in the spa, they are none the worse for wear. I use the wood REOs because there is nowhere for the water to get trapped. With a quick dunk, I can take battery out, wipe it and wood REO off, blow out atty (best one I've found for "swimming" is an 801), reassemble and keep on vaping without leaving the spa. (If REO is in water for more than a few seconds I do replace the battery with a dry one and let wet battery dry out for a week before testing and putting on charger. BTW... I use only AW IMR batteries in REOs. I have a few different ones for other mods, but most for other mods are AW IMR.

There are many beautiful and beautifully designed Tube Mods. My experience numbers less than 10. I loved many things about the GGTS and ProVari but both were larger and heavier than I like. I currently have a kicked Don, a Satin Buzz Pro, and short and long tumbled Roughstack V1, a no-name 14500 mod, and a couple of big battery eGos I kept out of several I have given away. Don is the only of those listed that is mechanical, but with the Kick, it becomes non-mechanical.

I can tuck a REO into any pocket or purse and be assured it will not leak or be damaged in any way. REOs have been left in drink coolers for days, lost in parks for weeks, run over by hi-way traffic, run over by trucks, gone flying off of motorcycles, at high speeds, onto gravel and pavement, and still work as well as new.

If one goes with a Metal REO and expects it to suffer "abuse" the best color for concealing dings, scratched, gouges, etc., is the Silver Anodized as the tumbled aluminum under the anodization is the same silver as the anodization color.

Feisty Alice

Last edited:
Super T's move towards rhodium coated contacts is something that should become standard. I need to send my P16 in to be upgraded. By doing this, they basically eliminated the ONE con to mechanical switches. I'd love to see this become a trend.

I've never used a REO, but I know they are legendary. To the OP, if you are looking for a tube style mechanical mod, check out Super T Manufacturing's devices. Sure they are more expensive, but they will last a lifetime, and you can send them in to be polished for free anytime you wish. The build quality is as good as it gets IMO.

Last edited:

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
The Reo would be a great choice. I own a couple but, if you aren't interested in a bottom feeder or really want a tube. Two that deserve a mention are the Legacy and the Siam mods.

\I'm with Warren D. Lockaby, putting a tank on Reo seems sort of like putting a Kick in a Provari but, whatever works for you I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread