best polishing product

Discussion in 'E-Cigarette Maintenance' started by kenxstyle, Oct 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. kenxstyle

kenxstyle Full Member

i recently picked up mothers metal polish and it works wonders on my brass nemesis. but it leaves a weird residue on my threads that is a b**ch to get out. anybody that has the same problem? anybody recommend different alternatives.

2. illitirit

illitirit Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

i just bought a huge tin of "cape cod polishing cloths" at a local hardware store. Could not be easier and the cloths are reusable. It even got rid of a ton of hairline scratches on my nemesis which i was really suprised about.

3. Coil

Coil Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Funny. I was just about so start a thread on polishing mods. I've had the same problem using polishes on brass and SS mods as well. If your going to use cream/ paste polishes I would recommend only using micro fiber clothes. I use short/ stubby craft brushes from Michael's or Joann Fabrics to handle the build up in the threads. Super soft bristles will help to not Marr the finish. I take the micro fiber after and bury it in the threads and spin the cloth back and forth in a circular motion to get any left overs out.

How do these work on tarnished and oxidized brass? I've seen some reviews on them and they've all been used on pretty clean mods with only finger prints. Either way I guess it's worth a shot to try them out. I've got a Grand Vapor Private V2 that has some pretty ugly tarnish on it right now. I'm still trying to figure out if the brass on this mod is TRUE brass or just brass plated? I don't wanna use anything to abrasive if it's just plated.

4. dspin

dspin Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sharkhide Aluminum Metal Polish. All other polishes pale in comparison. 40.00 for 1 lb can Threads must be cleaned of residue with toothbrush and dawn

5. Coil

I'll have to check that out. I asked AG what he uses and he said that he uses Simichrome. I do like the Cape Cod clothes so far for quick cleans with no left over residue.

6. Coil

Firing button on my El Kapitan... [​IMG]

Finished Kapitan[​IMG]

Grand Vapor Private V2 came out ok... I'm going to need some of that Sharkhide and Simichrome to get it any better then this[​IMG]

Can't really complain for about 15 min. per mod with a cloth and some elbow grease.

7. Thepinfamily

Thepinfamily Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I do restorations on vintage coin operated machines(mostly pinball) as a hobby so I polish quite a bit of metal. I've gone through all the good polishes at least once. Now I use a machine and rouge. Sounds expensive but its not. My first polishing machine was a bench polish/buff machine from harbour freight. It cost $28 after all the sales discounts. It's a bench mounted machine with two 6" wheels. Once you have the machine you can buy the wheels that's best for you. You can get different grits of rouge for different metals and different wheels for different finishes. For $50 you can have a polishing setup that lasts for years.

Oh, to get rid of the residue I use 91% isopropyl alcohol. It devolves the residue on contact. It also displaces any water (in case u were using water) and dries clean. I normally give my mods an alcohol bath in the ultrasonic cleaner after polishing. If you don't have a u.s.cleaner a bowl will work fine.

8. Coil

Very cool. I used to do Auto Detailing myself (years ago) so I only have orbital machines. That would be a good investment though... I'd like to have all the bells and whistles for polishing someday. Maybe a nice little setup in the garage.

9. dspin

Supporting member
  10. Thepinfamily

It can certainly be done by hand. That's the way its way done for thousands of years. I've also done my fair share of hand polishing. Some things need to be done by hand to get the desired finish. Other things, like most mods, can be done on a machine in just a few minutes and come out perfect.

11. Thepinfamily

12. Coil

Beautiful! Those GG's are insanely clean. Nice work man. I checked out the Sharkhide website and read into what it's capable of. So the polish alone is the way to go I take it? You don't use the cleaner or protectant as well?

Yeah Harbor Freight always has some killer deals. I might leave a tab open on my desktop for my wife to see... Early Stocking Stuffer maybe?:blink: Thanks for the link.

13. dspin

Supporting member
    No cleaner, no protectant. When I polish something for the first time - usually 3 times I polish

14. Woody7781

Woody7781 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Is the polish too abrasive for brushed stainless? My button (brass) on my GP PAPS is also dull. Want to bring back the luster.

15. ProjectIntegra

ProjectIntegra Full Member

Flitz Polish.. Thats all i use.. =)

16. Jonibrasco

Jonibrasco Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I use vinegar and baking soda to make a paste for removing the tarnish on my 8w. Really easy and rinses right off

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

17. Ozwald

Ozwald Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

As a brewer I'm constantly cleaning/polishing stainless, brass & copper. I use Bar Keeper's Friend. Works like a dream. Just keep it away from aluminum.

18. embee214

embee214 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I'm not a mod user, but I am a metalsmith. For the best polishing products, check out this site:
    Polishing
    Anything you want, for cleaning and polishing any metal, can be found here.

19. Dj Xy

Dj Xy I'm winning like Charlie Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Baking soda and vinegar are abrasive and will leave micro scratches on the surface, its best to use a non abrasive polish to keep the brass in top shape.
    I actually just got done cleaning up my 8w using a Cape Cod polishing cloth, followed by a buffing with 100% soft cotton cloth.
    really makes the brass and stainless shine.
    You get two reusable polishing cloths in a resealable pouch for $5.95. FOIL POUCH CAPE COD® METAL POLISHING CLOTHS

20. abpigdoc

abpigdoc Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I've used Simichrome polish for 20 years on a wide assortment of jewelry and polished metals, never had any untoward events with this product. And as it takes a very small amount, rather cost effective!

: nemesis
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.