RDA Best RDA for beginners

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunvapor

Apr 16, 2016
Hey guys,
I've been vaping sub ohm tanks for a while now. Currently using the Aspire Atlantis 2 and loving it. I recently decided to branch out with RDAs and still not feeling like I'm getting the most out of it. I have the Wismec indestructible with a 0.3 ohm kanthal prebuilt coil. I have tried single coil and dual coil. I feel like it's a lot of dry hits and burnt taste even when my wick is saturated. Currently using Cuboid 150w mod. What should my wattage be set at? What am I doing wrong?

rice721

1.21 GigaWatts!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2016
Shanghai
what kind of wire? how are you wicking it (shouldn't matter for RDAs but check if your cotton/wicking material is too tight)? Dry hits usually mean too much cotton or choked cotton somewhere in the juice flow area.

Wattage will be subjective, do you like hot, warm, or cool vapes? But for me if I were to build a simple kanthal wire dual coil build around 0.3~0.6 I usually vape it b/t 35-45W. If it were a clapton, alien, etc I bump another 5W in there.

I only have 1 RDA (prefer RTAs) and its the velocity clone by Tobeco. Easy to build and wick, virtually indestructible. Around $15 shipped.

cajunvapor

Apr 16, 2016
what kind of wire? how are you wicking it (shouldn't matter for RDAs but check if your cotton/wicking material is too tight)? Dry hits usually mean too much cotton or choked cotton somewhere in the juice flow area.

Wattage will be subjective, do you like hot, warm, or cool vapes? But for me if I were to build a simple kanthal wire dual coil build around 0.3~0.6 I usually vape it b/t 35-45W. If it were a clapton, alien, etc I bump another 5W in there.

I only have 1 RDA (prefer RTAs) and its the velocity clone by Tobeco. Easy to build and wick, virtually indestructible. Around $15 shipped.

Thanks for your reply!
I have a simple kanthal coil 28g with 6 wraps I believe. Actually decided to go with single coil reading 0.32 ohms. Went ahead and re wicked and made sure it was snug but not too tight, vaping Halo's Malibu Menthol at 38w and its great!

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Sometimes it can take a bit for the coil to burn in, this is why I dry fire and fiddle with my coils before vaping them. This does two things, it burns off any residual oils, from manufacturing, my fingers, etc. off of the coil. This also gets the hot spots out of the coil. If one leg heats up sooner than the rest of the coil, that's a hot spot that will burn the juice. The coil should glow from the middle out, or close to it, when it's set up right.
Also, do you have the air control opened all the way up? If it's closed part way that would be another reason for the burnt taste.

MotorcityVapeman

Mar 14, 2016
The Motorcity
I have 3 RDA's but have only tried 1, the Alliance V2. I own a Tsunami and a Mad Hatter( I liked the flip top for easy filling and no mess) but have used neither. I mostly use my Aromamizer Supreme, and today my new griffin 25, the Supreme is so close to a dripper, honestly I think it's better than my Alliance V2!
I agree with rice721 on the wattage's, I have the Cuboid too and vape at 48 to 52 watts on a .5 dual clapton build, so at .25 ohms, good flavor.

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
Thanks for your reply!
I have a simple kanthal coil 28g with 6 wraps I believe. Actually decided to go with single coil reading 0.32 ohms. Went ahead and re wicked and made sure it was snug but not too tight, vaping Halo's Malibu Menthol at 38w and its great!

There is absolutely no way you have a 6-wrap single coil with 28 gauge wire at 0.32 ohms. And there is no way you can vape a 28 gauge 0.32 ohm single coil build at 38 watts without the wick instantly bursting into flames.

Reactions: javyn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread