Best RTA to date

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mden89

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2015
Wahwik, Rhode Island
After an epic fail with my Kanger subtank mini kit (rta leaks on just about every build) I've decided to look for a new rta. Just hoping to get some opinions on what would be best for me to get.

I am a cloud chaser with an appreciation for flavor. I have a dropper for my cloud chasing so I'm not focused on a RTA that can produce clouds... I want something with good air flow and a good size tank (5ml preferably)

WonderDude32

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
Clarksville, TN
All the rave is over the Crown tank from Uwell but the rebuild decks are sold separately. They do have 2 versions, one single coil and the other dual. Looks like a Delta 2 deck. I have and really like my Subtank Plus and use the rba exclusively. Sorry to hear you had such a bad time with yours. For me, the problem with the leaking happens when I don't leave the tails of the wick long enough to catch the juice as it comes in the channels. I saw a review on the TFV4 tank with the triple and quad coils looks different if that's what you're needing. 4 vertical coils in one tank should keep flavor AND cloud chasers happy. Good luck with the search.

TX Foilhead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I don't mean to be rude, but if you can't make the Subtank work why is anything else going to work?

I had the same issues and switched to RxW because my problem was getting the wick right, it took a few tries to get the coil right, but the wick was easy so I didn't have to figure that out to make my REO work. There are a lot of thing to learn and almost none of them work the first time you try. There's lots of great info here to keep you from re-inventing the wheel, but building coils and wicking them correctly is some thing you learn by doing it.

Don't give up! everyone had the same issues starting out.

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
+1 on learning how to build and wick your subtank. It's possible that you screwed up just enough to make it leak every time. Not 100% likely, but possible. Different tanks wick differently, but I've noticed the subtank from kanger is one of the easier. To each his own, but if you're having trouble with a subtank don't try a quad vertical coil lol.

xDarkRelic

Feb 2, 2015
Texas
First off, nice Avatar OP!

Secondly, make sure when you saturate your wick on the subtank before you screw everything together, you aren't over doing juice. I was, and I was having juice up the chimney and through the bottom airflow.

I would definitely check out rip trippers video on it. Depending on if you have the new one (holes on the side of the rta sleeve) or the older one, it can be different to wick.

But don't, and I repeat don't, over screw the base to the airflow base. I stripped the airflow base which made everything I put it in spin easily, and it made it impossible to vape on.

But to your regular question! Are you into dual coils or single? I'd suggest the new Aspire Triton. Everything I've ever had from Aspire has lasted forever and the quality is fantastic. I don't use tanks anymore (even though I'd pick up a RTA if it was completely top notch), and I'm thinking of picking this one up.

Azumi

Verified Member
Jul 25, 2015
For the most part, cloud chasing RTAs are dual coil, so not as easy as single coil.

Maybe look at the Lemo2 as its a single coil atty.

If you want to try a dual:
Aromamizer RDTA is the airiest
Cthulhu
Billow v2
^^^
i have the billow v2 its a good looking tank. no leaking issues so far.
im just scared to go high W on it XD

Papillon61

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2015
Sunshine Isle
As with everything to do with vaping, even the preference for an rta is subjective. No one can really speak of "the best". Personally I can only speak of what works for me and what I prefer. I totally agree that at least some of the STMs were born under a bad star. Mine too leaked beyond tolerance when using coils. I now only use it occasionally with the RBA section. The Lemo II has good flavour, very wide airflow (adjustable) and has easy top filling. It is prone to dry hits unless the wicking is perfect and it too leaks when the mood grabs it (particularly when the juice is reaching the bottom 1/3 of the tank). I have A Goblin clone which is fast becoming my favourite. In its short section the flavour is exceptional but it tends to become a little hot. I have started using it in it's longer configuration. I don't feel much difference in the taste and its not burning my lips. The Kayfuns of course are also awesome for flavour and excellent tootle puffers but if your aim is cloud chasing then the airflow on the KFs is far too tight.That is the limit of my experience.... and once again, it is only my experience and need not apply to you or anyone else.

Mden89

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2015
Wahwik, Rhode Island
I don't mean to be rude, but if you can't make the Subtank work why is anything else going to work?

I had the same issues and switched to RxW because my problem was getting the wick right, it took a few tries to get the coil right, but the wick was easy so I didn't have to figure that out to make my REO work. There are a lot of thing to learn and almost none of them work the first time you try. There's lots of great info here to keep you from re-inventing the wheel, but building coils and wicking them correctly is some thing you learn by doing it.

Don't give up! everyone had the same issues starting out.
Not sure if you have seen rips video on it but even he said he cannot get a build on that deck that doesn't spit up at him and he has been building for what? 4-5 years?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions I will look into these

Reactions: Papillon61

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
I wouldn't call it "The best" RTA, but....

If you're learning building, probably THE EASIEST RTA to build on is the Squape R. It's not really a cloud chaser, it only has a single 3.1mm airflow hole (decent, but not HUGE) but it has a swappable deck system and deck design that makes it probably the single easiest RTA to build on. The swappable decks are customized for different style builds. A W (wide) deck for high VG juices and lots of cotton wicking, a D (Dual Coil) deck with separate airflow holes and two juice channels for each coil, a B deck which works like a dripping atomizer where the coil and wick sit in a well full of juice, and the Standard and Curved decks for the old style microcoil with silica wick and flavor wick setups.

All decks have guide grooves to set your screwdriver or drill bit into when you're ready to mount your coil. That takes out all of the hassle of trying to balance the coil as you tighten the screws as well as getting the alignment and height of the coil right every time. The decks are non-conductive so you don't have to worry about shorts if the wires touch the deck.

The W deck is the most commonly used, and probably the all time easiest deck to build on. Lay your bit with the coil on it in the groove, wrap the legs around the screws and tighten, pull the bit out, feed your cotton though the coil and along the same grooves, cut flush with the edge of the deck, fluff and wet down with juice. That's literally all there is to it. It's almost impossible to get wrong.

Nicoil2.jpg

Even a child could get it right.

EhPro makes a great Squape R clone if you're not prepared to pay for the real thing. (And I wouldn't blame you if you didn't want to drop that kind of cash on an untried RTA).

This RTA has GREAT flavor, and can produce some decent clouds. The largest airflow setting is similar to the Kanger Subtank on the middle setting, so you can lung hit this and it does work with subohm coils, but it's not really airy like a pure subohm tank. It works great with nickel coils as well if you have a TC mod. It's not going to chuck clouds like an RDA made for cloud chasing, but for an RTA it's probably the most flexible and easiest to build on RTA out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: fogmust

Hitcat44

mere Pawn in Game of Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2015
Ft. Vape-WKY
IMO - The Erl Konigin.
IF you get one AND watch, study, learn, and utilze the Qorax "2-Cut" Wicking Method and corresponding Fill Technique & Steps,,, It IS Out-Freaking-Standing!
In my personal experience with a myriad of RTA's the EK performs exemplary in comparison and is extremely Tasty & Flavorful with a flawless Design (although "some" bemoan it's bottom Air-Flow as lethargic; I completely disagree). It is relatively easy to build, wick and fill with zero Issue and superior Satisfaction in all Facets of operation.
You asked for Opinions & Suggestions-there's mine. Your mileage & that of Others may vary.

However (with no offense intended), as others have said, until One develops Apt & Proper Technique One Will have Issues with Any RTA or Device for that matter.
Knowledge + Experience/Trial & Error = Wisdom.
In Vaping, that "Wisdom" yields issueless Performance & Satisfaction.
That Wisdom changes, grows, and matures every day regardless of how long we stay at it or how adept we may become. Learn something Every Day & Every Build. That's a major Part of the Passion to Vape.
It's a Journey; Not a Destination. All the best in your Vaping Journeys to come.
Happy Trails & Vape On.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
All the tanks I suggested are inexpensive authentics. OP, if you don't get along with one of those you can resell it here in the classifieds, and probably for a minor loss.

Clones can be easy on the wallet for a trial, but you'll have to go somewhere else to sell it if you hate it. And used clones don't generally sell for much. I usually pif them to a friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread