Best set up for VG only juice

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by Gnimmel, Oct 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gnimmel

Gnimmel Full Member

I've been vaping for about 2 years now and I thought I had everything down. I found juices I like, I found the tanks I liked etc. and everything was good. However, I've always had dry skin problems, but this year it got so bad I ended up going to the doctors and after a few tests I now know I'm allergic to PG.

This means I'm now starting from scratch again as most of my preferred tanks, coils and juice wont work anymore. I've found some VG only juice I like but I'm having a lot of problems finding a good tank because it either leaks or gets clogged up after just 1 day of vaping. I recently found out VG cracks plastic tanks (that was a fun day). I read lots of good things about the pyrex ARO tanks, but after trying 3 of them, they all leaked in less than a days use, which is a shame because they tasted great before leaking.

So far the best I've found is the Pyrex DCT tanks with Dual Coil cartomizers. They don't leak, but the carto only lasts about a day and a half before getting clogged up.

Whats strange to me is my wife is also allergic to PG and she's been happily using VG in the same tanks I do for over a year, but she doesn't clog hers up? Perhaps I'm using it too much? Getting it too hot? Any thoughts on this?

Does anyone here smoke pure VG, and if so what tanks/cartos could you recommend that can handle VG juice?

2. retired1

retired1 Curmudgeon Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I've never used cartos or carto tanks, but my high VG (90% VG or more) content juices work well in my Protanks and Puritanks. I redo my own heads, too, so the juice works better on those than the stock ones.

3. Oomee

Oomee Super Member ECF Veteran

Letting the mix down with some distilled water helps lots with wicking problems associated with VG only .

4. yaypudding

yaypudding Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

If you are into rebuidables, I would suggest dripping.

Not to sound like a reo fanboy, but the reo was designed for pure VG use.

Maybe use a reo or other bottom fed with a cisco spec atty.

Do you and your wife vape the same juice now?

5. Gnimmel

Gnimmel Full Member

Thanks for the quick reply's.

@retired1 - I loved the ARO tank until it leaked after just a days use, but I've heard it was just copy of the protank, so perhaps I'll give that one a go and hope it doesn't leak like the other.

@Oomee - This sounds like a good idea, but would it affect the nic content? I vape 2.4 normally but I tried a 1.8 once and ended up using it twice as much because I wasn't getting the nicotine.

@yaypudding - I had never heard of the reo before, but after looking it up, it looks quite interesting. When I started vaping I used cartos and kept burning them until I discovered tanks. I need to look up more information on these, thanks for the tip. As for the juice, yes my wife and I vape mostly the same juice now. I can clog up a carto in my tank with the same juice she uses fine. Same cartos as well. I'm wondering if I just use mine more and perhaps generate more heat causing it to clog up?

6. D. Waterhouse

D. Waterhouse Ultra Member ECF Veteran

On the ARO tank, was the head tight? that's a problem with all bottom coil clearos.

7. Gnimmel

Gnimmel Full Member

After the first 2 leaked, I went as far as to use pliers to make sure it was all screwed together well, so yes, it was very tight. I'll guess its a similar problem I'm having with the tank cartos getting clogged, perhaps the heat is too much for the VG and it's getting too thick after a few hours.
    Now I've typed that, I'm thinking I should try the distilled water as Oomee sugested. Anyone have any suggestions on how much to add to my juice?

8. ED O

ED O Full Member Verified Member

this is some good info since I like VG juices and make my own with no PG.

9. D. Waterhouse

D. Waterhouse Ultra Member ECF Veteran

To thin VG start with one drop per 3-5 ml, it thins quicker than you'd think.

10. thefullhonkey

thefullhonkey Senior Member ECF Veteran

I've had really good luck with the Protank II and Mini Protank II with my 100% VG juices from Jugheads. I think the key is, as other posters have suggested, making sure that the liquid has been thinned down adequately.

11. CreepyLady

CreepyLady High Class Creeper Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I vape high VG or pure VG only juices. I use an Iclear 30, Protank and evods. The ONLY juice I still have issues with (I have given up any and all hope so I drip it only) are a few VERY DARK coffee/chocolate flavors. They destroy everything I put them in no matter what. But the lighter pure VG mixes all seem to do fine with at most a drop or two of water in everything else - I will say, I do not use cartos or carto tanks. The Iclear and the Evods are all poly and not glass and do fine with pure VG.

12. ThisguyPa

ThisguyPa Senior Member ECF Veteran

Hello there. Its been a while since iv posted anything. But here goes. Iv been vaping pure vg from heathers heavenly for almost a year. I use mainly protanks and evods. Saying that, i also rebuild my own heads right out of the box. I use 2mm silica and 32 gauge kanthal with a 1.5mm silica flavor wick on top and it works great. No cracking, no leaking. I cannot go above around 8 watts. Then i run into wicking issues. I am currently experimenting with 2mm ecowool. I have a head wrapped with that and no flavor wick. So far i am very impressed. Usually once the protank gets low on liquid it floods. With the 2mm ecowool i could vape the tank dry. Hope this helps. Any more questions feel free to ask. Vape on vaper. Lol

: protank, heathers
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.