Best Side Button Mech Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

upsetter21

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2013
Alameda, CA
I have multiple GG's, and two MKB-TS's. The MKB-TS came to me first (January 2013) when I could not find a GG at that time. Since then, I've chosen not to buy anymore clones, and support orignal modders only. But that didn't keep me from picking up a Ghost Modder Clone from the ECF Classies (second hand only supports the person selling the used device, right?). So that's 3 different GG-like variations I've acquired and use all frequently.

In my experience all three of them had annoying buttons at first. All of them used to unscrew when I didn't want them to. The first MKB-TS was particularly bad about getting a hot button and/or misfiring. Never had a hot button on the real GG's, and well the Ghost Modder is %100 brass so simply wasn't going to happen there. It was so easy to fix the hot button/misfiring.

I'm the guy who started up the shim thing in the big MKB-TS thread. I also apply a small amount of Purple Loctite (weakest color, but blue is OK too, just never Red!) to prevent the unscrewing. On my first MKB-TS (first batch), there was some significant cleaning to do inside the mod, but a few minutes with sand paper and it was fine. The newer one (purchased in the ECF classifieds) was serialized and was of better quality in general.

The shims work so well, to stop hot buttons, smooth out button action, and take out the play, I've now performed the same mod on my GG's and the Ghost Modder. All three devices benefited with less volt drop and just a really nice button action.

Anyone can do the shim fix. It just takes a pair of sharp scissors.

I very much understand that the GG's are unaffordable to some people, and in some cases a clone is the only thing that makes sense: for example I'm glad I have a clone to take on my Kayak, because a GG sinking to the bottom of the sea would make me cry.

It sounds to me you knew what you wanted from the get go: MKB-TS. Get one, try it out; but if you love it please consider getting a genuine GG to support further innovation. If you decide you don't like the MKB, it will sell on the classies and you'll know for sure GG isn't for you and can move on. I made up a funny moniker: (M)uch (B)etter (K)nowing - (T)han (S)pending to describe this experience. Falling in love with the MKB, I felt morally obligated to get the real deal & I'm glad I did, but not to rid myself of the MKB.

The collector tank is a crappy way to have 510 devices mounted on any of these devices IMO, since it just complicates the positive pin connections. The collector tank shines best when used with a GG native connection (Either an Oddysseus GGTS, or Ithaka/Herculese/Magoo). When you want to use 510 use a Stealth Cap - it's very simple. The Rainbow Heaven one is great and I consider it a must have accessory to the MKB. That said, the new GG Stealth cap is amazing & works on an MKB.

Don't let anyone tell you the MKB-TS has problems, because really every mechanical mod I've owned (many many) require a bit of mechanical ability and electrical understanding. If you don't want to fidget, then pass up mech's & rebuildables all together. Just like anything else with a battery it's all about contact. If you are comfortable with some moving parts and some simple assembly, you should really enjoy the MKB. For me, doing a little care and maintenance is relaxing. All of these devices are rock-solid, so really once you familiarize and maybe tune a little, I'm sure you'll grow even more attached to whatever you choose to get.

(what's not to enjoy about a "brass on battery orgy {meowmixmeow}"?)

Last edited:

upsetter21

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2013
Alameda, CA
A word of caution: once you realize how many parts there are out there to interchange, these devices can be as addictive as cigarettes!

Greece, USA, Poland, Korea, China - It took this many countries to produce this Mod. Ghost Modder stealth mode, with MKB-TS collector tank, Oddesseus GGTS connector, Rampage Tank, Vochu's Polish Kayfun Conversion Kit, Terminator top-cap, and an Ohman drip tip.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

kamil99

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Eh pro ea mod is pretty. Nice. Pretty nice. Igo-L I threw right on it from my sigelei 8 same coil/wick. I may be mistaken but I feel it heats a tad quicker. Faster flavor on draw. Less voltage drop? Looks nice too. No wobble either since it has solid to and bottom posts. Floating positive. Good stuff.

sent by my mind.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1380837866612.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1380837866612.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 47

shoggot

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
United States
Re: Dingo quality - it's amazing, def not cheap feeling. Same company (and same button) as the Roller... Either one would be a win.

Their button build also has amazingly low height overhead; it's one of the shortest mods per battery that I've seen.

If you prefer 18650's, you'd have to buy an extension tube for the dingo, which would come close to putting it at the same price as the roller (a telescope). If you're okay with 18350's, the dingo by itself is perfect. Also lots of room for finish / customization.

Peppie

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2013
Bonney Lake Wa, US of A
i've had fun times with my now 3 sigelei #8s. reviews of the Ehpro EA mod also seem promising.

i do think a poldiac may be in my future though as the top mod on my shelf.

You will find that the Poldiac sits high in the rankings of those who own Higher End Mods, I know mine does.

NickSteel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2012
Napa, California
I want a top/side button with extensions, not telescoping, but need with 18650 and kick. Have looked at the Poldiac 1:1 clone, but am waiting for reviews on the different versions in the works: Tobeco, Asmart, Vapetech, Reardon, etc. Some have magnetic switches, some mechanical. A well priced SS Poldiac clone, with it's flush button, would be nice. I currently use a Nemesis clone with kick, but would like to try a top/side button.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread