Best straight to USB, no battery product?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard horror stories of folks zapping a computer using these. With a passthrough battery, the battery acts as a buffer and protects the computer. Usage is almost exactly the same, just unplug it every once and a while to avoid the batt gaining a short term memory.

Fortunately, lithium batteries don't develop a memory so that's not a concern for us.

You should still unplug. It can shorten the lifespan of a lithium battery to perpetually sit near the top of the voltage range. They're happier if they're drained a bit and then recharged at that point. I've read that 3.92 volts theoretically reduces voltage-related stresses to nothing, so that would actually be the optimal voltage for the battery. None of us, of course, can perpetually keep ours there. :)

I tend to unlink my battery passthrough in the morning, cadge a charge in the afternoon, unlink and charge again in the evening. On a 1,300 mAh battery, that's still overkill and shortens its lifespan, but not as badly as leaving it plugged in all the time.

73ckn797

Resting In Peace
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2013
Care Freeville
I have a 510 type USB pass-through, straight, no battery. It is one that I bought from Choice 7's When I started off vaping. Using an adapter I am able to attach eGo clearomizers and vape at my desk. I am using a 1 amp USB wall power adapter. Does anyone know what the output typically is for a similar device? When using in my car through a USB lighter adapter (1.0 amp) it seems to cause a burnt taste using a clearomizer. Using the clearo on the ego battery does not cause this.

I am considering getting the Stubby eGo pass-trough but think just getting the eGo 650mah PT battery would be better. Any thoughts?

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
WillyB, Do you remember the member that cooked his employers computer by vaping on it. I think it was a desktop. Just not worth the risk to me. It was a couple of years ago.
"the member". :) Well there is always the chance I'll win the lottery, that don't mean I'm gonna live like I will. Everyday, maybe every hour, hundreds of thousands of people are plugging non computer devices into USB ports for power.

I've heard horror stories of folks zapping a computer using these. With a passthrough battery, the battery acts as a buffer and protects the computer. Usage is almost exactly the same, just unplug it every once and a while to avoid the batt gaining a short term memory.
Have you read the actual horror stories, or just heard about them through the grapevine third hand and decide to pass them on.

And what is the "buffer" between the charger and the USB port? What happens if the charger goes south and shorts, or the cord gets twisted or pulled and results in a hard short.

kushka

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2010
Marietta, GA
This is not true. I have used the same two Joyetech 650mah ego passthrough batteries constantly and exclusively for well over two years now. They are plugged in 80% of the time I use them, as I am make my living from the computer, and spend most of my spare time on one as well, and just got of habit of plugging in whichever of my ego passtroughs I am using at he time in as soon as I near a usb port. Except for the green paint having worn completely off one of them, they both are performing as good as new. They are plugged in so much, that about a month ago, I thought that one was broken when the button suddenly started blinking and then it stopped working, it took me awhile, but I finally realized that the battery just needed to be recharged. I had never experienced that happening before, having always kept them fully charged.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA

kushka

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2010
Marietta, GA

juicejunky

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
gone
The KR808-D1 passthrus have no batteries in them and run at a steady 5V (come with curly cords too). I used one extensively when I started vaping and was using KR808 stuff. I still keep one in my car for on the road vaping emergencies. While not elegant, with a 808 to 510 adapter on them, you have a 510 5V passthru. 2V wall worts and car adapters are essential.

Vapor4life.com sells them and the car adapters. Electronic Cigarette Car Adapter - Charge a battery or use a USB passthrough while on the GO! | Vapor4Life

73ckn797

Resting In Peace
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2013
Care Freeville
This the same type device I was asking about.
The KR808-D1 passthrus have no batteries in them and run at a steady 5V (come with curly cords too). I used one extensively when I started vaping and was using KR808 stuff. I still keep one in my car for on the road vaping emergencies. While not elegant, with a 808 to 510 adapter on them, you have a 510 5V passthru. 2V wall worts and car adapters are essential.

Vapor4life.com sells them and the car adapters. Electronic Cigarette Car Adapter - Charge a battery or use a USB passthrough while on the GO! | Vapor4Life

n7-cl-usb-passt.jpg This is it.

Last edited:

tonyorion

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
Michigan
The mini usb would not be a bad vv device for use in a car or at a desk (but only with at least a 2 amp output usb power supply), but ergonomically it is a disaster. If you use it with a tank of any kind, the device is ungainly to hold since it is so small. Using a tank (carto or RBA like vivi's, drunkar, AGA T+, etc.) with it would seem the natural thing to do since you just fill them up and do not have to worry about fiddling with battery changes, but most carto tanks and RBA tanks are much bigger than the mini usb pass through. It also gets very hot since there is not a lot of metal there to act as a heat sink. I cut up an old e power tube and epoxied it in, and it is much easier to hold. It also takes care of the cable coming loose (can also be fixed with some glue). There are a whole bunch of newer ego style vv semi pass throughs that are not bad at all (KGO, Salibo, and Lord knows who else). They are not true pass throughs since they run off the battery, but you can use them while they are plugged into the usb charger. Unless you are vaping continuously and uninterruptedly, that should not be a problem. They seem to be hard to get right now, but that will change with the Chinese New Year being done with. For around $30, you get a true ego style portable battery and variable voltage with a display as well as some pass through capability.

73ckn797

Resting In Peace
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2013
Care Freeville
I just bought a "Stubby" pass through. Variable voltage 510/eGo USB passthrough It is fine at my desk. I use a power converter in my car to keep a laptop and camera battery charged through the day. I could plug in the stubby power supply = 2 amp, but then I cannot also charge the laptop or battery due to the size of the wall charger interferring with the ability to also plug in the laptop plug. The power converter has a USB socket but not enough output to use the stubby.
The mini usb would not be a bad vv device for use in a car or at a desk (but only with at least a 2 amp output usb power supply), but ergonomically it is a disaster. If you use it with a tank of any kind, the device is ungainly to hold since it is so small. Using a tank (carto or RBA like vivi's, drunkar, AGA T+, etc.) with it would seem the natural thing to do since you just fill them up and do not have to worry about fiddling with battery changes, but most carto tanks and RBA tanks are much bigger than the mini usb pass through. It also gets very hot since there is not a lot of metal there to act as a heat sink. I cut up an old e power tube and epoxied it in, and it is much easier to hold. It also takes care of the cable coming loose (can also be fixed with some glue). There are a whole bunch of newer ego style vv semi pass throughs that are not bad at all (KGO, Salibo, and Lord knows who else). They are not true pass throughs since they run off the battery, but you can use them while they are plugged into the usb charger. Unless you are vaping continuously and uninterruptedly, that should not be a problem. They seem to be hard to get right now, but that will change with the Chinese New Year being done with. For around $30, you get a true ego style portable battery and variable voltage with a display as well as some pass through capability.

Faylool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Sweet Home, Oregon USA
What is the life expectancy of these mini passthroughs. Unless you do that special stuff like posted on first page of this thread these little pass throughs must have a battery which is chargeable to output the power required to run ecigs Once the rechargeable battery gets old and no longer holds enough charge you will be throwing it away and keeping it plugged in always is not going to prevent the charging capability rom diminishing...Get it? It's still throw away stuff. Just in case anyone is unclear. But it might makethe size of it last longer.... I do not know

Last edited:

73ckn797

Resting In Peace
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2013
Care Freeville
I have read that the batteries will prevent over-charging and bypass the battery, allowing continued use of the pass through effect.
What is the life expectancy of these mini passthroughs. Unless you do that special stuff like posted on first page of this thread these little pass throughs must have a battery which is chargeable to output the power required to run ecigs Once the rechargeable battery gets old and no longer holds enough charge you will be throwing it away and keeping it plugged in always is not going to prevent the charging capability rom diminishing...Get it? It's still throw away stuff. Just in case anyone is unclear. But it might makethe size of it last longer.... I do not know

Faylool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Sweet Home, Oregon USA
So this device will last as long as a what? Any power cord? What ohm cartos doped they make to go with this non VV device?nothing wrong with having the cartos that fit it or Attomizers. So then at this price what's the big deal with buying a 5v (usually preferred over 6volt) mechanical battery? Just people don't want the power cord trailing out aesthetically? Wen I first looked for passthroughs I never understood why we can just plug something in the wall because my experience with batteries they always die when you need them! ( joke. True) the link is not working btw but the site has them for sale. Now I want one but just want their Atties, and cartos or what ever. Is that going to be a dead end street? I'd just attach them for car vaping. Why wouldn't these be all over the place for sale? Cartos are still disposable. Do these just break instead of die?

Last edited:

Faylool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Sweet Home, Oregon USA
Let us know if you buy it what ohm carto setup you like with it. Is 5 volt just too much for cart/tanks?im not sure. I'm never sure about half thus stuff. I bought the vaper4life Passthrough and adapter just to try the technology out and would be a good unit to leave in the car so if my batteries get low I can put my delivery device on the "cars" unit. But the pearly looks pretty substantial. Might last for forever!
I'm also looking for a decent VV PT, but I use 1.5 ohm cartridges, and most I've found don't support higher voltage with the LR carts. I've been checking out the Pearl VV from Vaprlife. A little $pendy, but if it works, I'll spring for it. Coupon code for vaper4life on their form site .todays is x25% off or 35% depend on how much order goes. Cust25 for under $50 and cust35 for over. Helps cover shipping. I can't seem to find much in the way of reviews though. The Pearl PT

Last edited:

Faylool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Sweet Home, Oregon USA
Got the 5 volt Passthrough. Using 1.5 amp charger when t requests to use 2.00 amp but works. Thin and light and they recommend to unplug when not with it. I can say my vaping has just simplified nicely for my grab the keys and a go run an errand times because I won't bother deciding which device to take or how many. For day tips I'll still have to decide. I like it. I got automatic and it's a nice little change. Busy mouth puff puff stuff. Got the adapter for my 510 stuff. Cartomizer vaping with the 801 d size. Long time no do. Either I chose the wrong juice for carto vaping or it hits harsh with the 3.00 boge cartos I was generously given. Going o play with my 510 stuff when the adapter arrives. They forgot to pack it! Good customer service though. The skinny somewhat short size of it has me interested in their other non regulated rechargable batteries and PCCs momentarily but I'm good with eRoll for quite awhile so won't follow thru

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread