Best TC Mod/Tank Combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCP1991

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2017
Hello, All

I hope it is alright to seek some information from the great council of experts and I really do appreciate any feedback you might have to offer. I've been vaping for about a month now and am really really enjoying it. I haven't smoked a cigarette since beginning vaping, feel a LOT better, and actually enjoy vaping more than I did smoking.

The first mod I purchased was a Innokin Cool Fire IV TC 100 w/ Innokin I Sub Tank. I also picked up a Smok V8 Stick w/ Big Baby Beast for "on the go". I really enjoy both mods but recently I've been drawn to the Innokin with SS coils in temperature control mode. I enjoy the consistency of a temperature controlled vape and I find the clouds and flavor to be very similar to a vape in wattage mode. I have a birthday coming up and everyone's been asking me what I want, a good friend works at a vape shop and said he can get me a pretty decent discount on most kits. So, I was thinking, perhaps I could upgrade to a nicer TC set up -- or at least find another nice TC mod so that I can have one at the ready. I was really excited about the Smok Alien with the Big Baby Beast tank but the tank doesn't seem to accept any TC coils. I am not ready to build any coils yet so I am hoping to get some opinions regarding the best tank and mod set up you have found for TC. If it was a starter kit that would be awesome but I can also get the mod and tank separately.

Generally speaking I would like to see some of these features:
- Large ml. capacity tank
- Ability to use coils that will do TC while maintaining higher wattages (~80 watts) -- and ideally SS coils
- Easy availability of coils for replacement/maintenance.

Thanks!!

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
The Alien is a nice mod. I have one and have used it in TC SS (setting the TCR to 92) with decent results. for a tank I'd go with a Tobeco super tank. Extremely affordable, uses Atlantis style coils, so there is a ton of SS factory coils out there that will fit. Tobeco even has their own 0.3 ohm SS notch coil that works great in TC.

If you want more, especially TC, then go with a DNA based mod. More money, but really the standard for TC these days (the high end YiHi is quite good too). A Win software package from Evolv called eScribe will let you customize the mod just about any way you can imagine.

The only question is why you want to use 80w in TC? The power is dependent on the temperature you select. The wattage only matters in providing enough to get to temp. Even my large dual coil Clapton builds at ~0.2 ohm only need 20-30W to stay at 450F after a 1 second preheat of ~100W.

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
My favorite TC mod is the Lost Vape Thereon 166 (DNA250). Excellent quality, virtually unlimited customization, looks great, and feels good in hand.

I only use RTA"s so I'm no help when it comes to tanks that take store bought heads.

My favorite RTA is the 25mm, 7ml Aromamizer Supreme. Good luck in your search.

PS I completely agree with @Eskie. I never use 80 watts in TC. With the DNA mods preheat is adjustable. I only use around 35 watts even with my Claptons to maintain 420F after around around 75 watts of preheat for 1 second.

Cheers,
Steve

RCP1991

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2017
Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm going to make myself look like the newb I am but I was hoping someone might be able to clue me in on what makes the Therion 166 such a hot item. I'm assuming it has something to do with the way in which the chipset is able to maintain tc. I must admit, I do run into some issues with my Innokin Coolfire TC 100. I find that when running in tc I get a nice vape about 3/4 of the time. The other 1/4 of the time I get a very soft airy tasting vape that is not satisfying at all. I've found that when I am getting the unsatisfying vape the mod is not firing anywhere close to the 45 watts I have it set at. As in, typically the mod will fire at the 40ish watt range and then ramp down as I am pressing the button but when I am getting the unsatisfying vapes it will hit at 20 watts to begin with and then taper down from there. Is this something that could be solved with getting a better mod? The Therion might be a bit out of my price range. Are there any solid contenders in the $50-$75 area?

Finally, as far as the wattage, I think I might be referring more to ramp up wattage / preheat than anything else (although there is no such thing as ramp up wattage on the tc 100 so I am just guessing what that is). Generally speaking I would just like the vape to hit a little harder off the start and get to the temperature I am set at so I can take shorter more condensed vapes.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
A DNA board will do preheat in TC. The Therion is popular because of the board and the look and feel. It's very comfortable mod to hold, and looks like something that costs more. There other DNA250/166 mods out there you can also look at including Finder Vape, Hcigar, Vapor Shark, Boxer, and others to look at as well.

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
A DNA chip is What you want! there are a lot of mods that have DNA chips in them.
The only variable after the chip is build quality of the mod, 510 connector battery contacts ect.
With E-Scribe & a DNA chip you can set your preheat watts & time limit.
I set my pre heat to 100 watts for the first 3 seconds, after that Temp Control takes over & keeps my coil below 450 degrees.

A Therion is just a personal preference of some, you could just as easy buy a VT167 for less money.
It will perform just as well, has the same chip (DNA250) also Hcigar's build quality is reasonably good :)
Here's a link to a good buy $89.50 *SALE* Authentic HCigar VT167 167W TC VW APV Box Mod - 1-167W / 200-600'F(100-300'C) / 2*18650 at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Reactions: Eskie

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Is FastTech reliable??

Reliable? Yes. Fast? No.

I will toss this out there if you're sorta new to this. A DNA mod, even at FT prices, isn't cheap. If there's a problem FT isn't known for their ease of obtaining warranty service. The board itself is warrantied by Evolv, but if the problem is something else like a bad 510 connector it might be an issue. I prefer making my mod purchases from a US vendor I know so should there be an issue, I know I'll get service. I know I'm paying a premium rather than the lowest price, but it's worth it for my sanity. Having said that, the VT167 is a very nice mod. You can price compare, but that's likely close to the lowest you'll find. The best I see is VaporDNA (very reliable to buy from) for $110 on Vapecrawler (didn't click through for stock status).

Edit: clicked through, in stock

mongo74

I'm your huckleberry.
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2016
Ωhmsville
For TC: as stated above, DNA or Yihi. Omni boards are contenders, they just lack the customization and precision upper echelon DNA and Yihi boards posess. Lost Vape is churning out winner after winner in the DNA 166/250 category, and they are a bit more affordable than custom lipo DNA250 box mods and high end Yihi mods.

Tanks are subjective. There are some really impressive RTAs out there, and equally killer RDTAs and RDAs...it boils down to personal preference.

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
Is FastTech reliable??

I like FT! For me here in Canada, it's as good as it gets. Normally 14 day from the time it leaves China to my mailbox. You need to be careful with your shipping options, don't choose Sing Post :( it's the slow boat. I choose E-Packet shipping usually only a buck or two more Well worth it :)

Lets face it if some thing goes wrong no matter were you got it from, it's going to be a hassle.
FT has the best prices, selection & service. Why pay more!

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
I like FT! For me here in Canada, it's as good as it gets. Normally 14 day from the time it leaves China to my mailbox. You need to be careful with your shipping options, don't choose Sing Post :( it's the slow boat. I choose E-Packet shipping usually only a buck or two more Well worth it :)

Lets face it if some thing goes wrong no matter were you got it from, it's going to be a hassle.
FT has the best prices, selection & service. Why pay more!
That's not necessarily true. I recently had an issue with a mod from FT and they wanted me to jump through numerous hoops before they were willing to accept it back. On top of that, the mod was OOS and they wanted me to wait instead of issuing me a refund. Terrible CS imo. I'll never buy another mod from them.

Reference that to a place like WNY Vapes. I had an issue, they Emailed me a return label and I had a replacement within a week.

Cheers,
Steve

The Therion is approximately the same price (I paid $126 shipped and received it in 2 days) and my orders from FT take 3 weeks to a month to get to me in the States (part of that is probably customs)

RCP1991

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2017
Hey Guys,

So here's a question. After doing some research it seems like the only way to really get the most off of something like the Therion is to build on it. The fact of the matter is that with my lifestyle and other interests, I just don't have the time or interest in getting into building coils, checking ohms, wicking, exc. At the end of the day, whatever mod I am using is going to be running a tank with premade coils. At this point it looks like the Tobeco Super Tank would be a great bet as it has a lot of premade coil offerings that can run TC. BUT, since I'll be using prebuilt coils, do you think it is really worth it to go to something like the Therion or would a cheaper mod be able to give me the same performance where I would be running it? I'm happy to spend the money but if the prebuilt coils are going to be hamstringing my performance from the getgo I'd rather save some money. Thanks!!

mongo74

I'm your huckleberry.
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2016
Ωhmsville
Hey Guys,

So here's a question. After doing some research it seems like the only way to really get the most off of something like the Therion is to build on it. The fact of the matter is that with my lifestyle and other interests, I just don't have the time or interest in getting into building coils, checking ohms, wicking, exc. At the end of the day, whatever mod I am using is going to be running a tank with premade coils. At this point it looks like the Tobeco Super Tank would be a great bet as it has a lot of premade coil offerings that can run TC. BUT, since I'll be using prebuilt coils, do you think it is really worth it to go to something like the Therion or would a cheaper mod be able to give me the same performance where I would be running it? I'm happy to spend the money but if the prebuilt coils are going to be hamstringing my performance from the getgo I'd rather save some money. Thanks!!

An Alien/Tobeco combo may be your best bet. If you can find one for a steal of a deal, maybe even a Hohmtech Hohmwrecker or Hohmslice (single 26650) mod might be right up your alley.

RCP1991

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2017
An Alien/Tobeco combo may be your best bet. If you can find one for a steal of a deal, maybe even a Hohmtech Hohmwrecker or Hohmslice (single 26650) mod might be right up your alley.

That's what I was thinking especially since the Alien has TCR. Obviously not even close to the same amount of customization offered by some of the other mods but, given that I'm using some pretty basic off the rack coils, the performance might be pretty close. Any other thoughts? I really appreciate the help.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Hey Guys,

As earlier, I'm using a Super tank on an Alien right now with a good vape. I could put the same tank on my Therion and also get a good vape. It's a question of what you want to invest in. The Alien is terrific for the money, and the Super tank and mini are great. Would I throw my dual fused Clapton builds on my Alien? I could, but they shine on my Therion.

Me? I'd go Alien Super tank. Things go well for you with vaping, you now know what the next step up would be. good luck!

Reactions: mongo74

Cosmic_Glaze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2016
If money is not an option then go for the DNA mods, if it is then I would get the Wismec Predator..$39 for the mod alone ( need to buy batteries) or for a bit more you can get the kit with the ELabo tank as well)... The mod is next on my list... there's a link to take a look at it. Cheapest I've seen it.. YouTube just released a few reviews on it this week check it out.. Everone is raving about it... and comparing it to the Alien....Alien vs. Predator simmilar mods but the Predator is getting better reviews..as far as build quality... the Predator is Mac and PC compatible for updates.. many mods are only PC compatible if that makes any difference to your situation.

Wismec Predator 228 With Elabo Kit / Mod Kit $39.99

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread