Best tobacco for flavor extraction

Status
Not open for further replies.

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
wondering if using PG takes some of the edge off?

Guess that depends on the maceration process one chooses. For my tastebuds, I've had a pretty good outcome with PG extractions doing a heat assist start for no more than 8 hours at 150 degrees and then the cool month steep. For the most part, I can bank on 15% in the mix for the majority of my extractions. However, there have been a couple of tobaccos which needed a higher or lower percent in the mix.

It would behoove me to start doing more PGA extractions to get a cleaner product. ;)

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
Getting ready for Thanksgiving and Christmas

I wanted to go ahead and put some cigars in the Mason jar so that they'll be ready by the holidays. I prefer strong, rich, chocolatey, leather, pepper flavors. The ones i've tried so far are the 1881 Perique and the Partagas 1845 Extra Oscuro - Pipes and Cigars. Shopping through P&C for strong cigars I came across this one Oliva Serie 'V' Melanio - Pipes and Cigars

What are some others y'all can recommend?

Thanks!

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
Getting ready for Thanksgiving and Christmas

I wanted to go ahead and put some cigars in the Mason jar so that they'll be ready by the holidays. I prefer strong, rich, chocolatey, leather, pepper flavors. The ones i've tried so far are the 1881 Perique and the Partagas 1845 Extra Oscuro - Pipes and Cigars. Shopping through P&C for strong cigars I came across this one Oliva Serie 'V' Melanio - Pipes and Cigars

What are some others y'all can recommend?

Thanks!
Something like this? La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero - Cigars International

I used to smoke the regular La Flor (mild-medium strength) cigars before I started vaping. Sadly I sold my supply, along with a very nice humidor, before finding out I could have made NET's from them. :(
At the time, I didn't want ANY tobacco around to tempt me to smoke again.

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
Something like this? La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero - Cigars International

I used to smoke the regular La Flor (mild-medium strength) cigars before I started vaping. Sadly I sold my supply, along with a very nice humidor, before finding out I could have made NET's from them. :(
At the time, I didn't want ANY tobacco around to tempt me to smoke again.

That La Flor sounds right what I'm looking for and i found singles La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero - Pipes and Cigars

Ouch, for tossing those out. I remember when i stopped drinking in '86. I made a scotch drinking buddy very happy.

Thanks Rick!

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
I remember when i stopped drinking in '86. I made a scotch drinking buddy very happy.

You beat me by 9 years. :thumb: Mine was beer and I remember keeping what few I had left in the fridge for several weeks, just in case I changed my mind. Fortunately, I didn't. ;)

Mr Steeps

Feb 5, 2017
I've mixed NET with NT's ACB and Frenilla, both are quite good. Also liked mixing with Charlie Noble's Pistachio RY4 and Tripoli. Yet another to try mixing with is Ahlusion's Caramel Wild wood, the only synthetic juice I could actually vape as a standalone flavor (no NET). :)

For a true DIY hybrid NET add some Flavor West "Caramel Candy", TFA "Acetyl Pyrazine" and DIYFlavorshack "Holy Vanilla" to a NET, makes a great RY4.
Hey Str8, I've finally got a bit of time on my hands and want to try mixing some hybrids.. what sort of percentages would you suggest as a starting point for this RY4?

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Depends on the NET in play and your taste buds but I'd start with this and adjust to taste;
  • FW "Caramel Candy" 4%
  • DIYFS "Holy Vanilla" 4%
  • TFA "AP" 1%
Just add it to some well aged NET, the AP takes time to fully develop but it's pretty tasty freshly mixed. I also enjoy a good caramel tobacco and for that just add 6% FW Caramel Candy to a NET.

Mr Steeps

Feb 5, 2017
Depends on the NET in play and your taste buds but I'd start with this and adjust to taste;
  • FW "Caramel Candy" 4%
  • TFA "AP" 1%
Just add it to some well aged NET, the AP takes time to fully develop but it's pretty tasty freshly mixed. I also enjoy a good caramel tobacco and for that just add 6% FW Caramel Candy to a NET.
Fantastic! Thank you sir.. I'll mix some up later today. I have a ton of other flavours left from my pre-NET days so will be experimenting with a few other ideas too and will report back if I find any winners :)

Mr Steeps

Feb 5, 2017
Don't toss that Virginia!

One of my first extractions was Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake. Like you, I found it to be very grassy, even after several weeks of steeping. I did leave it in the cupboard and pretty much forgot about it for several months. One day I thought I'd try it again, just cuz. WOW, was I pleasantly surprised. It had turned into a very sweet vape, with only a slight hint of grass. It's not one I vape a lot of but do pick it up from time to time and really enjoy it, now. ;)
So.... this turned out to be incredible advice as a month down the line I sampled the Kendal No.1 Gold Coarse Cut Straight Virginia again and the grassy notes have all but disappeared, giving way to a delicious tape.

I now concur with the group that patience is definitely the key to this NET game as I also dripped the rest of my original PG/heat extracted NETs that are now approximately 3 months old and each one has improved immensely over the last month. I could happily vape each one as a standalone now and am about to try a few blends and hybrids to see if I can create some magic...

Kendal Scotch Cake Broken Flake Pipe Tobacco
Gawith Hoggarths Cyprian Latakia No.7
Gawith Hoggarths Kendal Black Cavendish
McConnell Oriental Turkish Blend
Gawith Hoggarth Perique

Thanks once again to everyone on here for the priceless information. This wonderful journey continues :)

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
So.... this turned out to be incredible advice as a month down the line I sampled the Kendal No.1 Gold Coarse Cut Straight Virginia again and the grassy notes have all but disappeared, giving way to a delicious tape.

I now concur with the group that patience is definitely the key to this NET game as I also dripped the rest of my original PG/heat extracted NETs that are now approximately 3 months old and each one has improved immensely over the last month. I could happily vape each one as a standalone now and am about to try a few blends and hybrids to see if I can create some magic...

Gawith Hoggarth Perique

Thanks once again to everyone on here for the priceless information. This wonderful journey continues :)

I have some clunkers I aged about 10 to 12 months. What we said about steeping is "golden," as they turned 180 degrees and are real winners now. Don't ever give up the ship before a years time! :pervy:

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
Even if they stay clunkers they can sometimes be improved by adding something else to it.

One of my first NET's was Bright Leaf Virginia (from whole leaf tobacco). Pulled it out today for the first time in months and it was still a clunker. Well, not really a clunker just not much flavor. I added a little Blondie to it (which is WAY to spicy for me as a stand alone) and it's now a very pleasant vape.

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
Does the "steeping clock" start ticking after you complete the extraction or after you have mixed the final juice? Note that I am doing only PGA extractions only so there is no PG or VG present in my NETs.

Actually, I mix the juice and check it out every 3-5 days after the initial mix until I find a sweet spot or it remains rough for the first 4 or 5 weeks. If I find a sweet spot before a month goes by, well, it is good to go.
If it is rough after the first month, THEN the clock starts ticking. This is MY way of testing. Others will test somewhat similarly, I assume, but it is subjective and entirely up to the individual.
No rules exist......

yourgurnard

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2015
London
Gawith Hoggarth Perique

Where are You getting Your 'baccy from M8?....& in what quantities, 25g.s?
TIA!

Reactions: Mr Steeps

Mr Steeps

Feb 5, 2017
Where are You getting Your 'baccy from M8?....& in what quantities, 25g.s?
TIA!
I bought all those listed above (and quite a few others since) from thebackyshop.co.uk at 25g. I also ordered 10x 20g of different leaves from wholeleaftobaccoonly.com and several budget cigars from cgarsltd.co.uk

Mr Steeps

Feb 5, 2017
  • FW "Caramel Candy" 4%
  • TFA "AP" 1%
Wanted to report back quickly to say that the RY4 is already delicious after an overnight steep... off to mix up a bigger batch!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread