Best tobacco for flavor extraction

Status
Not open for further replies.

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
I've had my eye on this one as well... I haven't been disappointed with any C&D as of yet.

Cornell & Diehl Seersucker | Smokingpipes.com

My guess is that it would be in that "light " realm as well. But... I'm gonna need to find out exactly what cigar leaf they use before I jump. ;)

Just had a chance to check out Seersucker at Smokingpipes.com.... they don't mention tobaccos, just a type of cloth. This can't be a great vape, lol..... :confused:

excalibur-x

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2016
So, this is it. I bought 100g of Adiyaman tobacco from a cross the street, Captain Black Royal and some Turkish cigarillos Che Habano. Sum 60TL.

I split Adiyaman tobacco to two jars. One jar will stay put for 2 month, other jar is currently in a hot bath together with cigarillos and Captain Black.

For all this I used 1 liter of PG. I expected much less. For Captain Black 50g I used 250g of PG, for only 8.4g of cigarillos I used 100g of PG. The res was used with Adiyaman. I started with 1:2 but at this ratio tobacco was still dry. Probably I used little too much PG to soak cigarillos, but other tobaccos are just barely covered with PG.

After 30min I turned of heater as I was afraid water will boil. I could still hold my hand in the water for more than 10s but better safe than sorry. I have a lot of time. :D

Tobacco already released some color to PG. Adiyaman PG turned goldish color, cigarillos PG has a green tint and Captain Black is becoming nasty. :D Results will be shown on Sunday evening when filtration will take place.

I expect least from cigarillos. They had no smell. :D I saved one so I can smoke it while drinking some Sauvignon, but if extract tastes similar to smoking, I will be in a happy place.

tobacco_2.jpg

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
Just had a chance to check out Seersucker at Smokingpipes.com.... they don't mention tobaccos, just a type of cloth. This can't be a great vape, lol..... :confused:

Yeah, I'm gonna be emailing them and requesting they keep the "story telling" descriptions in their blogs, rather than a lame excuse to fill the page where a description of the actual tobacco should reside. I find that type of thing very tedious and annoying. :mad:

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Hoping my Sutliff Sunset Rum has a metamorphosis... I'm not too enamored with this one as a solo mix so far... :(

For my taste only a few of the flavored tobaccos produce a good net. The flavorings they use may taste good when smoked but many just don't extract well for vaping. For a hybrid NET I much prefer adding the secondary flavorings myself.

I do like Sutliff's "Black Vanilla" but when extracted the top note they've added doesn't taste anything like vanilla to me. The flavor it does impart enhances the black Cavendish tobacco in a way that tastes great.

Same with the Acid cigars, the herbal flavor infusion enhances the cigar flavor in a way I find tasty.

While not an ADV Sutliff's "Molto Dolce" makes an outstanding flavored NET but only when freshly mixed.

Titiana "Vanilla" cigars make great NET but like Sutliff's black vanilla the secondary flavoring doesn't taste like vanilla to me. I've heard good things about Titiana "Rum" cigars but haven't extracted one myself.

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
For my taste only a few of the flavored tobaccos produce a good net. The flavorings they use may taste good when smoked but many just don't extract well for vaping. For a hybrid NET I much prefer adding the secondary flavorings myself.

I do like Sutliff's "Black Vanilla" but when extracted the top note they've added doesn't taste anything like vanilla to me. The flavor it does impart enhances the black Cavendish tobacco in a way that tastes great.

Same with the Acid cigars, the herbal flavor infusion enhances the cigar flavor in a way I find tasty.

While not an ADV Sutliff's "Molto Dolce" makes an outstanding flavored NET but only when freshly mixed.

Titiana "Vanilla" cigars make great NET but like Sutliff's black vanilla the secondary flavoring doesn't taste like vanilla to me. I've heard good things about Titiana "Rum" cigars but haven't extracted one myself.

I'll second the flavor of Molto Dolce. It is a refreshing "in between vape." :pervy:

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
Pulled out the Rocky Patel and Blondie today that I mixed back in October. The Blondie is still a little much for me as a stand alone, but does make a good mixer for other somewhat bland tobaccos that I've extracted.

The Rocky is a very fine vape. Not an ADV, but very nice for a change of pace once in a while.

Also sampled the Louisiana Red (made 12-26-16) that I had added 1% of high quality Vanilla Bourbon to. I mix my LA Red with Vanilla and Caramel flavoring to begin with and just wanted to see what adding a little real Vanilla would do. What it did was amplify not only the vanilla taste but also the overall sweetness. My original LA Red/RY4 I can vape all day long. With the added Vanilla it's more of a desert vape now. Very good, but very sweet.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Pulled out the Rocky Patel and Blondie today that I mixed back in October. The Blondie is still a little much for me as a stand alone, but does make a good mixer for other somewhat bland tobaccos that I've extracted.

The Rocky is a very fine vape. Not an ADV, but very nice for a change of pace once in a while.

Also sampled the Louisiana Red (made 12-26-16) that I had added 1% of high quality Vanilla Bourbon to. I mix my LA Red with Vanilla and Caramel flavoring to begin with and just wanted to see what adding a little real Vanilla would do. What it did was amplify not only the vanilla taste but also the overall sweetness. My original LA Red/RY4 I can vape all day long. With the added Vanilla it's more of a desert vape now. Very good, but very sweet.

Many of my favorite tobaccos aren't well suited to be an ADV. Some are excellent for a few dripper loads but too intense to vape all day long. That's works out well for me because my ability to taste many flavors diminishes after just an hours enjoyment, that's why I rotate several NETs each day.

L. Red is one of my favorite tobaccos for creating hybrids. I often mix it with a little VooDoo Queen, Elizabethan, or Charlemagne for added effect before adding the secondary flavorings like Vanilla, caramel etc... Acid Blondie is a little too exotic as a standalone but it too is a good mixer IMO. Mixed with Opulence 3 and Rocky Patel V'90, the infused Blondie adds a wonderful flavor nuance and helps create a complex, spicy well rounded cigar NET.

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
Many of my favorite tobaccos aren't well suited to be an ADV. Some are excellent for a few dripper loads but too intense to vape all day long. That's works out well for me because my ability to taste many flavors diminishes after just an hours enjoyment, that's why I rotate several NETs each day.

L. Red is one of my favorite tobaccos for creating hybrids. I often mix it with a little VooDoo Queen, Elizabethan, or Charlemagne for added effect before adding the secondary flavorings like Vanilla, caramel etc... Acid Blondie is a little too exotic as a standalone but it too is a good mixer IMO. Mixed with Opulence 3 and Rocky Patel V'90, the infused Blondie adds a wonderful flavor nuance and helps create a complex, spicy well rounded cigar NET.
Thanks for the tips re the Red and the Blondie.

I too like to rotate thru my flavors. I have 6 mods (in use) and about a dozen tanks with different flavors (all tobacco) in them. The Red/RY4 is probably the only on I can vape for several hours without tiring of it. Although I usually do pick up several of the others throughout the day as well.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
....The Red/RY4 is probably the only on I can vape for several hours without tiring of it. Although I usually do pick up several of the others throughout the day as well.

For -four years- I preferred Vanilla tobacco, Caramel tobacco, RY4 variants, peach tobacco, Blueberry tobacco and other hybrids for my daily rotation, only on occasion would I vape a straight tobacco NET and even then I'd lightly sweeten it. Suddenly, almost overnight I lost my appetite for sweetened NET and then (a few months ago) switched to vaping straight tobacco NETs. o_O Now my hybrids (unsweetened) are a dessert, enjoyed every now and then. I still savor the complex, satisfying flavor of a well mixed hybrid but for some reason straight tobaccos have become my preferred vape. What will tomorrow hold in store.... :)

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
For -four years- I preferred Vanilla tobacco, Caramel tobacco, RY4 variants, peach tobacco, Blueberry tobacco and other hybrids for my daily rotation, only on occasion would I vape a straight tobacco NET and even then I'd lightly sweeten it. Suddenly, almost overnight I lost my appetite for sweetened NET and then (a few months ago) switched to vaping straight tobacco NETs. o_O Now my hybrids (unsweetened) are a dessert, enjoyed every now and then. I still savor the complex, satisfying flavor of a well mixed hybrid but for some reason straight tobaccos have become my preferred vape. What will tomorrow hold in store.... :)
I understand the progression. I was born with a sweet tooth, which was encouraged as I was growing up. Christmas was our time to go *hog wild* with all the different fudges and divinity. One Christmas my sisters made 3 double batches of divinity and had to make more, for the big Christmas dinner, because we had eaten all of it.

I began DIY shortly after starting to vape and added stevia to everything. That changed after being told, during a physical, that my triglycerides were 450 :shock:. I radically changed my diet, lost my sweet tooth and 50 lbs. in the process. :banana: Unfortunately, a couple of years ago, I rediscovered chocolate, found my sweet tooth again (though not as bad now) and about 15 of those lost pounds. :(

I do try to keep the sugar somewhat in check now, and must me doing ok as the blood work came back right in line this year.

I don't vape nor do I like near the sweetness that I used to and do enjoy straight, non-sweet tobaccos. However, I'll probably always have my sweet tooth. ;)

BoilerGuy

Unresolved Status
Sep 13, 2016
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

happy valley

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2016
Up on Bear Mountain

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
I cannot speak about that particular label, no experience with it, but to my out-of-date mind it seems quite high priced. Smoking Pipes claims a bulk Mcclelland is St. James Parrish for considerably less.

I extracted a couple of the "new" Periques that Russ developed. So far, I'm not too impressed. In a couple of weeks I have, among others, three Periques to filter. I think McClelland is one of them as well as a bulk. Yeah, I think the $25 for that is a bit of marketing.

Thanks man!

Boxster

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
Buda, Tx
Did y'all see these? Is $25 for a tin of pure St. James Perique reasonable?: Golden Triangle Collection - Pipes and Cigars

When I saw this e-mail "varietal St. James Periques" jumped off the page.
Wha...what?:blink: From what I knew of Perique, this did not compute, so down the google rabbit hole I went. I found this article by Russ Ouelette that was the genesis of the Golden Triangle and RO series of tobaccos.
New Golden Triangle Perique Series Tobaccos by Russ Ouellette | The #1 Source for Pipes and Pipe Tobacco Information

RO Series - Pipes and Cigars

Another article from Russ
Perique - A Lot of Work, But Worth It

And another article from Russ
An In-Depth Look at Perique

"Because of the environment, Perique is a fairly fragile crop. Diseases, pests, heavy rain or drought can wipe out an entire year’s crop, and can do so very quickly. So, many decades ago, some of the farmers began hedging their bet by buying high-grade dark air-cured tobacco from other regions and processing it in the same manner as Perique. This would then be combined with the real thing to extend the available Perique. This tobacco is referred to as Acadian Perique, versus St. James Perique, which is only made of the actual leaf grown in the region. Due to the high cost, and the very good quality of the Acadian Perique, virtually no one uses straight St. James for blending anymore."

"Isn’t the stuff made with the air-cured tobacco “faux-Perique”? What very few people are aware of is that almost no straight St. James Perique has been sold for more than 40 years. The processors learned decades ago that it was necessary to blend the tobaccos together to be able to meet demand, and to maintain a product that would be of consistently high quality from one year to the next. The term “faux-Perique” applies to tobaccos that have had a flavoring added to tobacco to simulate Perique, but it definitely doesn’t taste the same, and isn’t processed using the same method. The air-cured leaf used by L.A. Poche is handled exactly the same as the St. James leaf, so the result is very hard differentiate from the original. Experts have been unable to tell the difference between them."

Pipesmagazine.com interview with Mark Ryan
The Mystique of Perique | The #1 Source for Pipes and Pipe Tobacco Information

Other links:
Perique has made a fiery comeback due to outside investors who are breathing new life into St. James Parish's uniquely pungent tobacco

There is also a Perique liqueur
Jade Liqueurs Fine Absinthes
Perique Liqueur de Tabac – A Taste of France and Louisiana

St. James Perique Factory Tour Part 1

St. James Perique Factory Tour Part 2

Boxster

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
Buda, Tx
I extracted a couple of the "new" Periques that Russ developed. So far, I'm not too impressed. In a couple of weeks I have, among others, three Periques to filter. I think McClelland is one of them as well as a bulk. Yeah, I think the $25 for that is a bit of marketing.

Thanks man!
Which perique's did you try? I'm thinking of getting the Acadian Vaper or maybe a couple of the varietals.

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Did y'all see these? Is $25 for a tin of pure St. James Perique reasonable?: Golden Triangle Collection - Pipes and Cigars

I got that email too however as others have pointed out several of the big brand blending Periques also claim to be offering authentic "St James" but at a much better price per ounce. An article I read years ago mirrors much of the information Boxter posted. The makers of the original St James Parish Perique went under financially but the business was saved/resurrected by a few big tobacco blenders who needed a steady supply of Perique for their tobacco blends. Most of todays "St James" Perique is actually air cured tobacco that was grown "elsewhere" but fermented at St James Parish in a manner similar to the original Perique. Definitely a more sustainable, higher volume and more profitable process but it's not the same original Perique of old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread