Best tobacco for flavor extraction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxster

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
Buda, Tx
I just freeze filtered some Nightcap. Who wants to lick the spoon?

image1r.jpg

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
Gonna start filtering this weekend:

I'd love to know how the McClelland Perique turns out! I've got a 6 month old batch of C&D Perique I'm chomping at the bit to filter... mix that up with a little 84 Turkish... mmm boy! ;)

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
I'd love to know how the McClelland Perique turns out! I've got a 6 month old batch of C&D Perique I'm chomping at the bit to filter... mix that up with a little 84 Turkish... mmm boy! ;)

I'll let you know. I've got that and regular blending Perique. Curious about both.

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
Did a little completely unscientific mixing tonight. My John Cotton's Smyrna was ready after two months so I loaded up a bottle. The lightness and spiciness made me think to mix it with the Black Irish XX so, 2/3s Black and 1/3 Smyrna (shaken not stirred.) Gives the Black XX a nice topping.

Also, I need to retract my thoughts about Russ's Perique blends not having flavor. I put the #23 in tonight. Lighter than the 41. White pepper spice. Not getting much espresso yet though. Both of the Periques are headed to being very good blends.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Hello everyone. Sitting here with maybe 20 extractions, using an Aeropress and 2 micron filters for final filtration. I got a lot of help from threads like this one when I started out, so thanks everyone.
I find that I am liking milder, sometimes 'flavored' extractions, which is consistent with the way I used to purchase NET's. Just mixed three 100ml bottles of my favorites - Peter Stokkebye 84 Turkish, Lane 1-Q, and Decatur Black Cherry. The last one is really popular with people I have shared with.
Never did acquire a taste for Latakia, and I am moving away from the VaPer blends, but to each their own. Next on my "Try Next" list is McClelland Mellow Apple and Sutliff Molto Dolce. Gotta keep searching, right ?

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
Hello everyone. Sitting here with maybe 20 extractions, using an Aeropress and 2 micron filters for final filtration. I got a lot of help from threads like this one when I started out, so thanks everyone.
I find that I am liking milder, sometimes 'flavored' extractions, which is consistent with the way I used to purchase NET's. Just mixed three 100ml bottles of my favorites - Peter Stokkebye 84 Turkish, Lane 1-Q, and Decatur Black Cherry. The last one is really popular with people I have shared with.
Never did acquire a taste for Latakia, and I am moving away from the VaPer blends, but to each their own. Next on my "Try Next" list is McClelland Mellow Apple and Sutliff Molto Dolce. Gotta keep searching, right ?

I for one really like the Molto Dolce for a great change of pace from the tobacco flavors, so does my taster... ;)

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Found out today that Rocky Patel, V90, plays very nice with Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake. :) Gonna have to order a few more of the Rocky's. (Got plenty of the Virginia.)

:) One of my favorite tobaccos for flavor extraction but not as a standalone, I like it as a mixer. I use extract of RP V90 as the base flavor for my blended cigar NET. It plays well with many other extracts like "Louisiana Red" and further enhances the cigar note in "Billy Bud". P&C ran a 40% off flash sale on RP cigars last December, I took advantage and stocked up. I hope they repeat the sale again this year.

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
Okie dokie... final additions to my cellaring list are complete and in hand. This should last me until the cows come home. ;)

Told myself, if I run out after this lot... I'd have to start growing my own tobacco. :confused:

IMG_4226.jpg IMG_4227.jpg IMG_4228.jpg

Thanks to all the folks who gave their opinions on what they've used and what they'd cellar; I've gleaned and feel I've made wise choices thanks to you lot.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
My current list of favorite Tobaccos in no specific order;
(* = Top ten)
  • Drew Estates ACID "Blondie" * - (cigar)
  • Drew Estates ACID "Opulence 3" * - (cigar)
  • Rocky Patel "Vintage '90" - (cigar) *
  • Rocky Patel "2008 Autumn Reserve" - (cigar)
  • Cornell & Diehl "Orion's Arrow" * - (great base for Hybrids)
  • Cornell & Diehl "Billy Bud" * - (Moderately robust with cigar leaf)
  • Cornell & Diehl "Mississippi Mud"
  • Cornell & Diehl "Old Joe Krantz" *
  • Cornell & Diehl "Pirate Kake" - (an oily mess but very robust)
  • Hearth & Home Signature "Virginia Spice" * - (a VaPer with cigar leaf)
  • Hearth & Home "Louisiana Red" - (great base for Hybrids)
  • Seattle Pipe Club "Mississippi River" *
  • Tsuge "Ryujin" - (heavy hitter)
  • Sutliff Private stock "Charlemagne" *
  • Sutliff Private stock "Molto Dolce" - (for my sweet tooth)
  • Sutliff "Black Vanilla"
  • Sutliff "Voodoo Queen"
  • Peter Stokkebye "84 Turkish" - (great base for Hybrids)
  • Samuel Gawith "Black XX" - (heavy hitter)
  • Samuel Gawith "Full Virginia Flake" - (great base for Hybrids)
  • Samuel Gawith "St James Flake"
  • Dunhill "Elizabethan Mixture" * - (soon to disappear from the market)
  • Dunhill "Nightcap" - (soon to disappear from the market)
  • The Smoker "St James" - (no longer available, one of my all time favorites)

Mr Steeps

Feb 5, 2017
My current list of favorite Tobaccos in no specific order;

Thanks for the update Str8, there are quite a few I'd like to try on that list although not too many of them are available in the UK unfortunately.

I do have the following macerating as I type though...
  • Cornell & Diehl "Orion's Arrow" * - (great base for Hybrids)
  • Cornell & Diehl "Old Joe Krantz" *
  • Peter Stokkebye "84 Turkish" - (great base for Hybrids)
  • Samuel Gawith "Full Virginia Flake" - (great base for Hybrids)
  • Dunhill "Nightcap" - (soon to disappear from the market)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread