Better results from releasing vacuum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Learning_Curve

Aug 11, 2016
Hello, i have a theory that vape store people deny as plausible. I'd love some opinions.

After having months of dry hits from even 2 day old coils on a kanger mini, i noticed by loosening the tank from its base until air bubbles come up that the vape would be much thicker and full of taste. I hated that kanger. I then got a Hercules sp? That was waaaay better. Rarely had dry hits. But it would sometimes taste weak or produce less vape occasionally that would be fixed using the loosening until aor bubble idea.

These were all bottom fill tanks, so i wasnt sure exactly the source of air bubbles as it could be coming from outside of the tank.

Now i have a TC setup with an isub 5 which is top fill tank. No dry hit issues, great quality compared to the kanger mini i hated so much. But like the Hercules, it can taste weak with little vape production occasionally. By unscrewing the top of the tank, airbubbles still come up from the bottom.

So are we creating a vacuum that is preventing our liquids from easily flowing into the coils? Are there any tanks with the ability to vent negative pressure from forming?

I have yet to find anyone with any experience or thoughts on this. Vape store people look at me like im crazy when i ask about the subject. One guy suggested that i could end up losing the prime on the coil.

That kanger tank was a nightmare for dry hits, sometimes coils would last two we, other times i would never have a good hit even after soaking it before installing it and letting it sit all night upright. I'll never get a kanger again after that experience. Although im sure they're products are great or have been updated, i just loved the price and results of the Hercules and isub 5.

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
Hello, i have a theory that vape store people deny as plausible. I'd love some opinions.

After having months of dry hits from even 2 day old coils on a kanger mini, i noticed by loosening the tank from its base until air bubbles come up that the vape would be much thicker and full of taste. I hated that kanger. I then got a Hercules sp? That was waaaay better. Rarely had dry hits. But it would sometimes taste weak or produce less vape occasionally that would be fixed using the loosening until aor bubble idea.

These were all bottom fill tanks, so i wasnt sure exactly the source of air bubbles as it could be coming from outside of the tank.

Now i have a TC setup with an isub 5 which is top fill tank. No dry hit issues, great quality compared to the kanger mini i hated so much. But like the Hercules, it can taste weak with little vape production occasionally. By unscrewing the top of the tank, airbubbles still come up from the bottom.

So are we creating a vacuum that is preventing our liquids from easily flowing into the coils? Are there any tanks with the ability to vent negative pressure from forming?

I have yet to find anyone with any experience or thoughts on this. Vape store people look at me like im crazy when i ask about the subject. One guy suggested that i could end up losing the prime on the coil.

That kanger tank was a nightmare for dry hits, sometimes coils would last two we, other times i would never have a good hit even after soaking it before installing it and letting it sit all night upright. I'll never get a kanger again after that experience. Although im sure they're products are great or have been updated, i just loved the price and results of the Hercules and isub 5.

I went into a vape store about 6 months ago and the store owner said you have to burp the tank by unscrewing the glass and letting the bubbles rise to the top.......don't know if this really helps or not but he said it .............I just turn my power down so as not to boil all the juice from my coil in one hit..........

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
As a matter of fact, air bubbles pop up after a couple of hits. I'm really surprised there isn't any products that have vent function on top. I know it wouldn't be ideal since it'll probably leak when its upside down.

Yes air bubbles coming up after a hit means that eliquid is making it's way to the coil.......................

The_Learning_Curve

Aug 11, 2016
You say that so matter of fact. Im just trying to wrap my head around why this isnt considered by manufacturers or enthusiasts. Of all the 'dry hit' forums ive read over the last couple of years this is the first Ive heard of anyone else acknowledging the issue of negative pressure preventing adequate liquid flow to the coil. We need public awareness commercials, we need Sarah McLachlan songs playing over frustrated and crying vapor users warning people about this madness!

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
You say that so matter of fact. Im just trying to wrap my head around why this isnt considered by manufacturers or enthusiasts. Of all the 'dry hit' forums ive read over the last couple of years this is the first Ive heard of anyone else acknowledging the issue of negative pressure preventing adequate liquid flow to the coil. We need public awareness commercials, we need Sarah McLachlan songs playing over frustrated and crying vapor users warning people about this madness!

The problem with this.... Vaping Hobby is that you will run into other Vapers who have the best vaping experience with vacuum in the tank and then you will

meet the other half of the civilization who say's no this is not true at all............lol........it is all what you have the best luck with............

Reactions: seminolewind

The_Learning_Curve

Aug 11, 2016
Yea, true. I was one of the unlucky with my first rig being that kanger mini. Unfortunately I'm also bothered by little things, so now i feel the need to develop a way to release vacuum without manual intervention. Might try notching the upper o ring little by little until i see results. I don't keep my unit in my pocket or set it down in any way but upright, so i might beable to cope with minor leaking occasionally for the sake of convenience.

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    You need the vacuum to keep the tank from flooding/draining.
    Take a top fill tank, open the juice and air flow, take the top fill cap off, wait a few minutes.
    You will find all your juice has flooded the coil and drained through the air hole.
    I've had better luck with the Kanger STM, using the RBA.

The_Learning_Curve

Aug 11, 2016
    Im thinking of maybe a spring loaded valve that is built as a button rather than regulating. Every couple of hits let it burp. Although a hands free regulator would be nice.. I was also thinking about a flex tip mouth piece that when you flex it in any direction it would lose its seal.

I wish i had a spare tank. Just broke my herakles trying to get a new coil to work. Was getting the check atomizer message. Cleaned, inspected, kept tightening until threads broke...

Reactions: seminolewind

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I was part of the E2/CE2 evolution. Which was the First (and eventually the Last) true Top Coil Clearomizer.

What People learned Early On with the CE2 was that to avoid Dry Hits, you needed to Tilt your Mod up while taking a Hit. This caused the e-Liquid to pull at the Coil. I ran CE2's for a Long Time. And this Style of Vaping with the Mod pointed up because Second Nature to me.

Fast Forward to the Modern World of Today's Top Fill Tanks.

A Friend of mine was having problems with her Top Fill Tanks with High VG e-Liquids. Leaking Problems and Dry Hit Problems. And She asked me if it could be a Vacuum Issue. Because wicking didn't seem to be the Issue if you can get both Leaking and Dry hits from the Same Build.

I told Her I had No Clue if it was a Vacuum Issue. But to Try Tilting the Tank when She took a Hit. Because She uses the Same Tanks as I do. And uses about the Same PG|VG Ratios as I do. Everything is about the Same. But I don't have Problems with my Tanks and she Does. And I tilt the Tank when I take a Hit, and She Doesn't.

So She tried Tilting the her Tanks. And guess what? Her Problems went away.

So is the Solution as Simple as just Tilting the Tank when you Vape? Probably Not for all Tanks with every e-Liquid. But for Some Tanks used with some e-Liquids it might just be.

seminolewind

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 5, 2009
    Corydon Indiana
    I went into a vape store about 6 months ago and the store owner said you have to burp the tank by unscrewing the glass and letting the bubbles rise to the top.......don't know if this really helps or not but he said it .............I just turn my power down so as not to boil all the juice from my coil in one hit..........

I just posted the same problem today. Seems it's just my minis. They may build pressure faster. It happens with a Kanger or Aspire atomizer on mine.

Anyhow, I think you've solved the problem for me. And using more pg is probably a good idea too. What's really funny too is how quickly I need to "air" the top out. Then it's good again. I'm good to go! Thanks

The_Learning_Curve

Aug 11, 2016
    I haven't notice much benefit yet tilting. Iight not have the specific setup that it should work for.

I've had great luck with my isub 5 and tc with burping. But its really odd that a different liquid seems to eliminate any good performance It had. It doesn't taste burned, but it definitely doesn't taste normal and full. But in wattage mode is seems to be much better.

Tge weirdest part is that the liquid that wicks better is thicker. While the liquid that is more viscous has an off taste most of the time. Both liquids are vaped at the lowest temp or wattage range on the rig.

When it comes to how hard you draw on it, I've always assumed the harder you draw and the more closed the air control is the more the liquid would be sucked into the coil. I've never had consistent results from doing that though. But have noticed airbubbles coming up seconds after a dead pull while covering the air flow completely, i'm assuming it creates a positive pressure in the tank and when i stop it reverses and a little bit air is released into the tank.

I have also wondered what the repercussions are for vaping below recommended wattage and temp. Any input would be nice.

VapJak

Aug 21, 2016
    Yes, it is a build up of low pressure within the tank - which needs to be released because it get too low (vacuum) which leads to drop of flavour and then a dry hit

All tanks work on pressure difference:

When you fill the tank - there is atmospheric pressure inside the tank
    The cotton is there to wick the juice to the coil - it is ALSO there to act as a slow leak seal

When you vape, the movement of air through the coil produces low pressure under the coil. So the higher pressure inside the tank encourages juice to flow to the coil (ALL GOOD)

As the juice is used inside the tank, a slight vacuum (low pressure) is created inside the tank

When you stop vaping, atmospheric pressure return under the coil, and this higher pressure should then leak through the cotton back into the tank - you should see a bubble or 2

Then you create low pressure again when you vape etc etc

As the cotton gets carbonized around the wire coil, this seal then gets blocked, and the tank cannot recover from the vaping phase, so the low pressure remains inside the tank

Eventually the low pressure created from vaping is unable to be lower than the pressure inside the tank, so the juice stops flowing to the coil

With the coil starting to go dry, you then get a burnt taste

This is why releasing the pressure, solves the problem

The other quick fix, is to cover the airflow with your finger, DON't fire the mod and take one long pull on the driptip - then flutter your finger over the hole. This is the method we used to use for priming - often called a priming pull

What this does is to emphasise the low pressure under the coil - juice flows and more vacuum is created - Then there is enough difference that when you stop sucking air filters through the cotton releasing the vacuum

Reactions: thetrucker

seminolewind

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 5, 2009
    Corydon Indiana
    My problem was solved by unscrewing the top a bit every 4 vapes. Hmmm. Then I noticed that my atomizer had 2 holes, so I switched to 4 (BVC), and the problem went away. Now it just tends to give a wetter draw when the tank is low.

Now , why is it that the cheapo BVC mini aspire (plain) seems to be more enjoyable than the Nautilus x? I'll have to investigate.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread