Better than Provari???

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by wsu99999, Nov 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wsu99999

wsu99999 Full Member

I need some help. I have a provari, and while it works as advertised, it's not the right PV for me. First, I use Dual Coil cartos and a tank setup. The Provari won't let me vape above 4v with the DC's which is a well known problem. Second, I ordered the chrome version, and while I've not dropped my Provari, the chrome is flaking off all over the place. Very frustrating spending 200 bucks on something that the chrome won't stick to. Third, the power from my simple vv box mod far outperforms the power from the Provari. Not that I vape that hot, I still like the ability to do so if I wanted to.

I'm looking for something new. Will probably sell the Provari to fund it. Is there anything out there that blows the Provari away? If not, what is the best constructed VV box mod on the market? My box mod has stopped working (from Madvapes) and I need something reliable.

Thanks for your help!

2. my4jewels

my4jewels Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    IMHO, the best constructed VV boxmod is made by Krimson Kustom. His attention to detail is unsurpassed, and you can choos your led color, button color, as well as other options. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...oltage-evercool-quality-look-great-price.html

Or you could go for one of the more expensive handcrafted wood boxmods. There's the Grip from SweetVapes, the Hogmod, or the Redsky. You can search any of these. The only downside is that they are very popular, and there is usually quite a wait list.

3. Jeremy-WI

Jeremy-WI Senior Member ECF Veteran

The voltage limits are not a well known problem, its a design feature to keep people from destroying atties/cartos and it does help the batteries. I think the Provari limits amps to 2.5 and under, at 4 volts a 1.5 ohm load is about 2.66 amps.

You might want to look at a darwin, they have a dedicated user group similar to those of us that like the provari, I think the darwin allows you to adjust amps, but I haven't read a lot on them and I don't have one

4. Big Screen D

Big Screen D Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Buzz Pro or Ipro will run a LR carto/atty up to 4.7v. Well built mods, and are priced right.
    Notcigs

5. Chinner

Chinner Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

+1 for Darwin. God I love that thing!

6. ambientech

ambientech Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

LR came out so low voltage devices could vape more like high voltage devices. A VV device doesn't use LR well because it wasn't designed for it nor does it need it. Why not just get a 2.5 ohm dual coil carto and run it at 6 volts on your provari ? That should be plenty to satisfy just about anyone unless taste is a priority then even a lr carto wont. As for the chrome flaking that sucks and I would be upset also. I bet provape would take care of you if it is still under warranty.

7. NatureBoy

NatureBoy Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Can you please tell me something? The metal underneath the chrome that's flaking off, is it stainless steel as they claim?

8. washvap

washvap Vaping Master ECF Veteran

9. revmax

revmax Full Member Verified Member

That being the case, is there any advantage to using DCs with Provari at all?

Hmmm... mystified

10. wsu99999

wsu99999 Full Member

There isn't an advantage, except, for the fact I have about 50 of those type of cartos. I know that if I wasn't so lazy, I could either slot my regular single coil cartos to use with my tank system, but as it stands now, I can't use them with my tank. The tank setup I have is amazing, and has completely changed the way I vape. I don't think I can go back to filling a carto 30 times per day. I've tried it just for the simple fact of using the provari, but its a pain.

I can't verify if under the chrome is stainless steel, but it is metal, and it is "silver" looking. Just a dull chrome color. Half of the reason I got this is because it's a beautiful unit. Mine looks like crap and half the time I use it I walk away with silver flakes on my hands.

The kicker... I've only had it like a month, maybe 45 days max!

11. StotheK

StotheK Ultra Member ECF Veteran

I have a black chrome version. It scratches very easily, but it doesn't flake off. I was hoping the Lavatube was dumb enough because its so inexpensive not to notice low resistance devices, but it does and kicks the voltage down to 3.7 with dual coils. The only things I have that push dual coils at high volts is a cheapie box mod and a couple of mods that can run at 6v with stacked batteries.

For the most part, I use the 1.7 ohm single coil xl smoktechs in my tank, those perform pretty well at 3.9v

12. Huffelpuff

Huffelpuff Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    IMHO would let the people at ProVape know that you are having an issue. They may be able to help. I have a black chrome and do not have issues w/ flaking or scratching and love it. A mod that rivals the Pro but handles Low Resistance is the Darwin, also very highly recommended.

13. hairball

hairball ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

14. Jeremy-WI

Jeremy-WI Senior Member ECF Veteran

So what is so bad about using it at under 4.0 volts when they were made for the ego, riva and other lower voltage devices?

I use my provari and 2 ohm boges with chibi tanks and try to keep it around 4V, although I have gone up to 4.4.

Take some pictures of the flaking and email provape, they will probably make it right if you are willing to send it back to them

15. Str8V8ping

Str8V8ping Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

The darwin and buzz pro can handle more watts than the provari . I like the provari but it just cant handle the power i vape my fav juices at either . I sometimes like vaping juices at 5-6v on a sr or lr boge or a 1.5dc at 5v and the provari cant do that .

16. Devonmoonshire

Devonmoonshire Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

I second this, I own one myself and it is much smaller than most Box Mods and it also delivers a serious Kick with my 306 atty's.

As far as the DC's that is all I use on my Provari with the added convenience of a Dual Coil SS MAP Tank. I do however use 2.0 Ohm and 2.5 Ohm dual coil cartos on it and with either one I can crank it all the way up to 6V with Zero issues. So before you sell your Provari definitely give the higher Ohm Dual coils a shot. You may change your mind very quickly.

As Far as the Flaking, if you e-mail Provape and let them know about it I have never known them not to make it right.

Hope this helps;
    Nate aka Darth Vapor

17. Scottinboca

Scottinboca Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

In my mind as far as advanced devices it is #1. The only other thing would be a spaceship. Although, they aren't the prettiest. I would pass on the fancy stuff and go w/ a Provari. I'm broke so I enjoy my VV Foxy Box Mod. I love it.

18. wsu99999

wsu99999 Full Member

Well, I emailed Provape, and they are going to send a new one once I get my old one into them. Good news! I honestly hadn't even thought about trying to contact them.

19. matador

matador Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

I totally agree.. Buzz Pro or Infinity Pro -- get em from notcigs

They dont have an LCD like the Provari, but you dont need it. It has a dial that you turn to increase/decrease voltage. Just dial it in till you get the best vapor and taste. Easy, Simple, Reliable, Affordable....

20. Dougiestyle

Dougiestyle Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I had a HP (High Power) VV Sabertouch up for sale over the weekend. I run DC cartos @ 5v+ on it all day if I wanna. With the 5amp circuitry, it blows all others away.

I took the FS thread down. No interest and it's almost brand new. Some new batts are in order, but this thing rocks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.