Beware of the Quit Smoking Purists

Status
Not open for further replies.

wazzup592

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2011
Ohio USA
To each his own. Some points made are ok I read through two pages. They are right in the fact that they want to.be nicotine free, but the main arguer had quit 8 months ago.. maybe during the nicotine struggle they would have considered an alternate, safer way to wean themselves off of nicotine. They are just up on a highhorse. I'm sure they would love this nicotine delivery device. Who wants to send that ....... a starter kit :p

bwood12043

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2008
East Texas
Well, I just checked back in that forum and see where those of us who posted are now being accused of being "the same poster" under different usernames, or that our posting is some sort of initiation into the ecig forum family.

I guess this should serve as an example of how mean and testy "exsmokers" can be.

That forum seems to only support those who have quit any type of smoking, vaping, inhalation of any kind. While our forum here supports any and all who come here, either for info, to share experiences, or get a friendly response of support.

If I could place a bet, I would bet that the majority of those folks will resort back to smoking cigaretts within the near future, or in a year or so. Most do.

I, on the other hand, have not had a cigarette in over two years, and have no craving to have one. No withdrawal, and find myself able to go for longer and longer periods without vaping. However, I do not intend to completely quit vaping anytime in the immediate future, as first, I do not WANT to, and second, I fear that I would at some point be around smoking in a situation where I might be tempted, so I will keep on vaping, keep on enjoying it, and keep on being pleased with what I am doing for myself and my family.

One last comment, I am so happy to be not smoking, but yet have NOT turned in to an anti-smoking nazi. That was one of my biggest fears with quitting, did not want to torture my smoking friends like other "nazis" tortured me. With vaping, I have my pleasure, my cravings were resolved, and I have not become one of "those"....

Reactions: DC2

sizemore2000

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2010
Tahlequah, Oklahoma
I thought it was a great post on their site. I think you could go back after a year and post, and they would still flame you. I'm happy they could quit cold turkey, and I'm happy I've got my ecig and my sanity! Sounds like the offended exdrinker needs a shot! Chill out. He was just trying to share a healthier alternative to smoking. I was offended by your offense!

bwood12043

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2008
East Texas
As an ex drinker myself I find my statements about this right on point. Don't take it out of context. This too was an example of how his argument was silly. It has nothing to do really with alcoholics just like the above had nothing to do with harm in air or vapor.

Tell me.. Exactly in what way does this offend you. Give me details because I am clearly not seeing how I was offensive to ex drinkers in any way.

Better yet, since you seem so easily offended by so little, I suggest you stop reading my threads. I wish not to offend you further and it seems that you not reading my threads would be the best way to accomplish this.

John, I too am trying to see where your statement could be found offensive to a recovering alcholic, and I cannot see any offensive reference at all.

I know that some people can find offense in any comment, but I see where you were going with that comment and I think you did a good job with it.

John Phoenix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2011
New Orleans
John, how long did it take for your first post to show up ? Mine still has not, so just wondering, it's been over 3 hours, but maybe takes longer than that.

It was at least a couple of hours. It was getting late in the evening and perhaps it was slow for the mods.. I dunno. I haven't been there since early this morning so I haven't seen the posts show up but I'll go look now.

John Phoenix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2011
New Orleans
wow i just seen that John where they sell quit smoking products.And what is funny to me is they have a ecig listed for sale on that page.Looks similar to a 510 or disposable Ecig but comes with no nicotine although they do sell cartridges that has different level of nicotine in them to gradually decrease your intake up to 90 percent.

Having trouble finding this.. can you give me a link?

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I'm trying to post there, but can't register because it says my User ID already exists.
And I can't log in because it says my User ID is inactive.

I guess I must have registered there awhile back when another electronic cigarette thread was being discussed.
I'm waiting for the email on instructions to reactivate my User ID.

The last post is about us all being trolls because we all signed up today.
I want to post a link to this thread so they can see why we all signed up today.

If anyone else wants to do so, please feel free, otherwise I will once I figure out how to get reactivated.

John Phoenix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2011
New Orleans
The last post is about us all being trolls because we all signed up today.
I want to post a link to this thread so they can see why we all signed up today.

If anyone else wants to do so, please feel free, otherwise I will once I figure out how to get reactivated.

If you want to post this about thread go right ahead. I do want the members over there to read this thread carefully and know that I did not ask one single person from here to go there and post on my behalf. People took it on their own to do that.

Perhaps if any good comes from this is will hold up a mirror to those people and they will see how ugly they are being. Perhaps they will actually study and do some real research so they will know many of their beliefs about e-cigs are either wrong because they are lies, claims that have no hard scientific data, or hearsay. If they are going to be in a quit smoking forum the need to know the facts and present them accordingly. God forbid their attitude and ignorance causes someone to keep smoking and not to quit.

TNT

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2009
York, PA
Um... when I quit smoking for "real" some years ago, e-cigs were pretty much unknown, but there were a wide variety of quit forums. They ranged from "whatever keeps you off cigs" to one where you were instantly expelled for taking a single drag off a friend's smoke even if the was the first time in years. really, I didn't feel the need to debate the issue. I found where I (thought) I was comfortable and didn't bother the people with other views.

Bottom line... while I'm not against healthy debate (I still won't guarantee anyone e-cigs are safer than tobacco), I'm not in a mood to crash someone else's party. If people from the other forums find out about e-cigs and gravitate here, good. If people -- and there are some -- who decide it's better to quit e-cigs and go completely inhale-free, they'll gravitate there. And the people who decide to be both inhale and nic-free have their place, too.

I really don't want the various quit forums going into a flame war with each other.

(Random aside: Not sure where the Amish come into this all this... most of the ones I know grow cigar tobacco and are very good at it... along with being great business people. Trust me: it's a huge mistake to confuse "The Plain People" with "The Cheap People" or "The Poor People." No one walks away from a deal with an Amish farmer saying, "I really ripped off that dude.")

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Bottom line... while I'm not against healthy debate (I still won't guarantee anyone e-cigs are safer than tobacco), I'm not in a mood to crash someone else's party. If people from the other forums find out about e-cigs and gravitate here, good. If people -- and there are some -- who decide it's better to quit e-cigs and go completely inhale-free, they'll gravitate there.
I wonder if anyone from their forum would ever come here and post.
And if they did I wonder what would happen.
:)

John Phoenix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2011
New Orleans
That being said CD2, I wonder myself. My intention on telling you guys about that experience was not to start a flame war or and crap between purists and e-cig users, just to get advice on how to deal with that mindset.

I posted my story in a forum made for that purpose and I did not spam or troll anyone or try to force my views on anyone. When I posted outside of that thread, I did so without mentioning my method just so I could give general quit smoking tips from my point of view. Other threads I did post about e-cigs in, had to do with e-cigs to begin with. If they come here, I hope they show the same respect as I have done them.

jbilod1

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2011
Charleston, SC
I read all the posts, I had some down time. It only confirms what I already believed, there is a segment of the ex-smoker population that are some of the most self-righteous, narcissistic .......s on the planet. I didn't register to post a reply because I would not want to hand those types of people a soapbox to spew their pharmaceutical induced nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread