Status
Not open for further replies.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
My Spire says SI v1.8

That is what I thought it is a sigelie board. I asked beyond vape if it was a sigelei and they tried to deny it..
At any rate it is a nice looking v3 and I wonder how they will stand up to thier claimed 1 yr warranty. They would be the only company offering over a 90 day warrantee on the v3 in the us. I guess if you can get it replaced when the button acts up badly or the board shifts it may be close to worth the 100.00. ... Well technically 3 times in one year is really what I expect and then your making out.

The sigelie v3 is a good pv and I just fix mine myself. But the switch is misfiring heavily after 4 months.. Will be breaking it down again to fix or replace the switch.

There are sigelei v3's with metal buttons now. The metal button makes no difference. It's the switch they use that's the problem.. Look at my recent posts in the sigelei v3 thread. You'll also find repair tips in that thread too, Starting at post 814 or 864 ?

Last edited:

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Flint, Michigan, United States
That is what I thought it is a sigelie board. I asked beyond vape if it was a sigelei and they tried to deny it..
At any rate it is a nice looking v3 and I wonder how they will stand up to thier claimed 1 yr warranty. They would be the only company offering over a 90 day warrantee on the v3 in the us. I guess if you can get it replaced when the button acts up badly or the board shifts it may be close to worth the 100.00. ... Well technically 3 times in one year is really what I expect and then your making out.

The sigelie v3 is a good pv and I just fix mine myself. But the switch is misfiring heavily after 4 months.. Will be breaking it down again to fix or replace the button.

There are sigelei v3's with metal buttons now. The metal button makes no difference. It's the switch they use that's the problem.. Look at my recent posts in the sigelei v3 thread. You'll also find repair tips in that thread too, Starting at post 814 or 864 ?

It appears they are after a fix for the rattle rather than the switch itself. Too bad.

Last edited:

xyanide

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
The Netherlands
Perhaps that's why the Spire has the metal button. I will say the plastic button looks cheap on the Zmax versions. The tubes are well made. Why cheap it out there? It has made me wonder if they had intended to do a back light on the button at some point.

The outside of the button tells you absolutely nothing of the actual switch and contacts that are in there. That's just a cover, sigelei could've done the same thing as the Spyre and it would've still performed poorly. That's why I would like to know.

As an example here's something like sigelei might be using in their Zmax:
attachment.php

There is often a buckling disc inside that does both the job of making contact and springing back. I know for a fact that you can get these for several lifespan ratings, depending on how often you need to use them. If it's just a button for a PCB prototype like a reset switch, you'll only be using it a few times so it won't have to last.

I just read other people had button issues with the Spyre. I'll settle with my Zmax for now. I'm really enjoying the performance it gives me, but as soon as I save up some money I think I'll go straight for a semovar or DNA.

Last edited:

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Very close to it zyanide. Actually that one looks a little better.

Here's a photo of my sigelie v3 board. The spire is the same. You can easily shine a small light, phone flash light is great, into the screen and see
The switch.

null_zps10157c27.jpg

Sure wish it was easy to remove this unit. The switch would be rather easy to de-solder and replace.

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
I've had my Spire for a month now, using it almost exclusively (I use a compact 18350 mech mod for "on the go"), and haven't noticed any degradation yet. The button fires like a charm with no rattle and the exterior still looks like new including the engraving.

I don't think there is any doubt the custom exterior is a great improvement over the factory Sigelei. They look great!

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Sure wish it was easy to remove this unit. The switch would be rather easy to de-solder and replace.

It is very easy to pull the board out, especially if you have a heavy stainless steel atty, like an oddy or term. Or drop it and have the top pop loose. This thing is really indestructible. The sigelie v3 thread has it all.. My break down starting at post 813 ..

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
It is very easy to pull the board out, especially if you have a heavy stainless steel atty, like an oddy or term. Or drop it and have the top pop loose. This thing is really indestructible. The sigelie v3 thread has it all.. My break down starting at post 813 ..

If I am lucky this fix will not be needed!

olefolks

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2013
Lewisville, TX, USA
Or, have your son throw it across the room. LOL!

Albantar

Oct 16, 2013
Loenen, GLD, NL
After some 6 months of heavy use:

- The body still looks very good. A few scratches on it, which is to be expected, but most scratches are perfectly masked by the brushed finish.

- All the threadings still work perfectly.

- The "tattoo" engraving is still in pristine condition.

However.......

- The coppery parts (little ring on the bottom cap and fire button) are losing their finish.

- Most annoyingly: the firing button is starting to behave erratically. Sometimes it works fine, but then it will suddenly require me to press really hard or it will "flicker" instead of firing steadily causing the device to inadvertently scroll through the menu.

Especially the fire button issue is a very unpleasant surprise. I would have expected an expensive VW mod like this to last more than 6 months... :/

So... I've ordered a 69 clone, a VW kick and a few 18500 batteries from FastTech (all of those with hundreds of good reviews). I figure, since I hardly ever touch the settings of the Spire anyway (I just leave it on 8.0W almost all the time), I would get the same vaping performance from a mech mod + kick, with the added advantage of a (hopefully) more reliable fire button. Plus, everything combined including the batteries is half the price of just the Spire mod without batteries...

Conclusion after 6 months: the Spire is still an awesome mod but they really need to do some more for the durability of the electronics (especially the fire button).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread