Big baby Rba

Status
Not open for further replies.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Basically i didn't want to buy new smok coils (and my vape shop i went today had 0 in stock)
So i bought some cotton and just tried to wick the prebuilt rba in it.
My question is : is this okay or should i redo ?

Coil is rated at .37 smok says between 30-60 watts.
First time wicking and i only had enough money for cotton lolz.

mr8inJC.jpg

JGRy7jF.jpg

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I thought the RBA came with dual Clapton coils (I have to go check mine) and that wire doesn't look like Clapton, at least to me. The wicking looks good. Prime it well, screw the top part back on and see what the resistance is. If all looks good just work your way up in wattage just like any other coil, except this is a lot easier to know it's primed well before use.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
I thought the RBA came with dual Clapton coils (I have to go check mine) and that wire doesn't look like Clapton, at least to me. The wicking looks good. Prime it well, screw the top part back on and see what the resistance is. If all looks good just work your way up in wattage just like any other coil, except this is a lot easier to know it's primed well before use.
So the wicking part looks okay ?
Mod reads at .37 like i said and smok says it's good between 30-60 (will start at 30watts ofc)

Reactions: Eskie

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Just know, if you're new to building, wicking is the art to building. Don't be upset if this doesn't work on the first try. Hopefully it will.
Strangely enough not only did i do it quickly with very shaky hands, i managed to wick it first try.
Been vaping it on and off (it chucks clouds a bit too huge for all day vape :p), no leak for now whatsoever.

Although it does make crackling type sound after like 3 seconds i'm at 42 watts atm. Smok rates the coils up to 60 watts, but using the 0hms law website it says 35 watts..... Which wattage should i use 0.0

There's also a small gap between the mod and tank since i'm using the rba part pretty sure it's not dangerous but thought i'd still add it here.

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
There really can't be a recommended wattage on an rba as you can put nay wire you want to on it. Now, if that's their opinion based on the stock preinstalled Claptons, I still wouldn't feel bad using out of that range. The correct wattage is based on your preference, not theirs. As to Ohm's law, I'm not sure where you're going with that because Ohm's law isn't relevant on a regulated mod. You can set the wattage anywhere within what's for the mod. To make life easy, a 20A battery (a decent one, genuine Samsung LG, Sony) can handle 60W and still be within the CDR. Two 20A good for 120W, and so on. There are 25 and 30A batteries available but you give up a ton of run time as they (30A) can only provide at best 1,500 mAh.

If it's vaping well for you, and it's not leaking, you got off to a great start!:thumbs:

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
There really can't be a recommended wattage on an rba as you can put nay wire you want to on it. Now, if that's their opinion based on the stock preinstalled Claptons, I still wouldn't feel bad using out of that range. The correct wattage is based on your preference, not theirs. As to Ohm's law, I'm not sure where you're going with that because Ohm's law isn't relevant on a regulated mod. You can set the wattage anywhere within what's for the mod. To make life easy, a 20A battery (a decent one, genuine Samsung LG, Sony) can handle 60W and still be within the CDR. Two 20A good for 120W, and so on. There are 25 and 30A batteries available but you give up a ton of run time as they (30A) can only provide at best 1,500 mAh.

If it's vaping well for you, and it's not leaking, you got off to a great start!:thumbs:
Unfortunately i can't use it oddly enough =/ As soon as i plug it in my mod and take a puff the 0hms jumps from .36 to less than .10,so the mod will not fire with the rba in it (google search points towards multiple possible issues)

Edit: think i fixed the low res issue but the rba pops A LOT and it just made a big pop when i first fired it. God i don't think it's a good idea to keep using it.......

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
If you're getting a lot of popping, your coil is flooded. You can try to fire it until it's mostly evaporated, at which time it should calm down. You can also sneak a rolled up paper towel down the chimney to help clean up any excess juice in there. You can also take the tank off, put a paper towel around the airflow slots and try blowing it out.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
If you're getting a lot of popping, your coil is flooded. You can try to fire it until it's mostly evaporated, at which time it should calm down. You can also sneak a rolled up paper towel down the chimney to help clean up any excess juice in there. You can also take the tank off, put a paper towel around the airflow slots and try blowing it out.
that thing chucks big ... clouds and when i inhale fast enough it seems to calm down, could it be the coils are overheating ? Sorry btw if i ask many questions XD i just don't want anything to explode you know :p First time using an rba and whicking after all :lol:

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
Yes,, it comes with Clapton's installed on the deck. Tried them2 days, then changed them out to something like Qc is showing... ( Hey Qc, micro photography is not your thing, friend )
The Clapton's were pushing my old batteries to the limit, like changing them out every 15 minutes..

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
that thing chucks big ... clouds and when i inhale fast enough it seems to calm down, could it be the coils are overheating ? Sorry btw if i ask many questions XD i just don't want anything to explode you know :p First time using an rba and whicking after all :lol:
Try dropping the watts down. Little bits at a time...

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
@Gahh yeah phone is not made to take close ups pictures :p
But why would i drop the watts ? it's pretty cold and still pops if i drop it.

Update: still using the rba (not always but alot of time) chucks quite enormous clouds tbh and has a great cool taste to it but still pops, dosen't seem to be popping abnormaly though, it's annoying but no 0hms jumping or something like that since the other day. I think i see it sometimes having like sparks from the airflow (then again i could be seing things). Overall nothing seems out of the ordinary when i vape the big baby rba.

Reactions: Eskie

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Update: still using the rba (not always but alot of time) chucks quite enormous clouds tbh and has a great cool taste to it but still pops, dosen't seem to be popping abnormaly though, it's annoying but no 0hms jumping or something like that since the other day. I think i see it sometimes having like sparks from the airflow (then again i could be seing things). Overall nothing seems out of the ordinary when i vape the big baby rba.

A few times of rewicking that rba and you'll have it down pat just how you want it.:)

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
As MrStik above says, you can try getting the wick a bit tighter...
What I suggest is,, Wrap a paper towel around the air flow and blow moderately into the drip tip. I've found this to push the wick into the juice ports. Then take several/many hits. This might work for you as it has helped me out 50% of the time.
When you here girgeling and snapping, its cause the wick is saturated fully, ( which is a good thing ) ,, if the wick is perfect , you get great wicking,,, very little girgiling & snapping,,,, and great smooth hits.
Wicking is an art,, especially in RTA's...
As for RBA's ,,, the dripping will keep the cotton wet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Letitia

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
As MrStik above says, you can try getting the wick a bit tighter...
What I suggest is,, Wrap a paper towel around the air flow and blow moderately into the drip tip. I've found this to push the wick into the juice ports. Then take several/many hits. This might work for you as it has helped me out 50% of the time.
When you here girgeling and snapping, its cause the wick is saturated fully, ( which is a good thing ) ,, if the wick is perfect , you get great wicking,,, very little girgiling & snapping,,,, and great smooth hits.
Wicking is an art,, especially in RTA's...
As for RBA's ,,, the dripping will keep the cotton wet.
To be quite frank i've tried the blowing trick even before seing this (i had a bit of e juice in the airflow so blew the excess) Still popping but satisfying vape still. My biggest problem atm is really the fact to me the vapor is too cool but i'm not sure about upping the wattage. Besides the temperature issue it seems good though.

Reactions: stols001

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
All comes down to you being happy with what you have Qc...
Sometimes the happy with what you have gets lost, and you try and try to find what it was that was tuned so perfectly... To learn how to find and repeat it is what makes vaping for me a great hobby as well as putting the cigarettes down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread