Big Bear RDTA help pls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coruen

Apr 25, 2017
Hi yesterday my new RDTA atty, the Big Bear (2 chamber from Ehpro) came in. I am fairly new to DIY attys, so at first I used the coils that came with it. I wicked it with cotton (a fair amount, it nearly touches the glass), primed it and waited a bit so it could soak in. But when i fire the mod, all I get is this nasty-burnt-mixed with flavor in the tank-and something disgusting I can't describe flavor. I also tried my own SS316L coils, with 5 and 8 wraps, the Kanthal ones that came with it, the Alien Clapton, and changed the cotton every time, so I would be sure it's not the cotton/coil. But it happens every time. Also the flavor is not bad, I tried it in my TFV8 baby and it tastes great. Am I doing something wrong here? Or the atty might be faulty and I should send it back for another one?
EDIT: I have been trying to make this work about 12 hours, would be nice to know if I am doing something wrong or just wasting my time on a broken piece.
18159764_1437627952966418_1125707715_o.jpg 18119682_1437627939633086_1285180072_o.jpg 18159286_1437627919633088_1999354329_o.jpg

Coruen

Apr 25, 2017
1. What is the resistance of the build?

2. What mod and mode are you running?

3. Did you wash the tank prior to building?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
The total resistance is 0.264, it's a dual coil build. I am using the SMOK Alien 220W, mode Watt. I washed the tank two times, took it apart, replaced the o-rings (except the main one that isolates the chambers, that one I can't get to because it's under the build deck)

Coruen

Apr 25, 2017
I can't immediately see anything wrong with your mod or your process, but I can't picture the tank being bad... are all the hotspots removed?

Note: I do not have this tank, but I do have 20odd RDTAs... none with a split reservoir, but...

Umm... Gonna have to look at this tomorrow, gotta go to sleep. Thanks for now, will let you know tomorrow.

Coruen

Apr 25, 2017
I can't immediately see anything wrong with your mod or your process, but I can't picture the tank being bad... are all the hotspots removed?

Note: I do not have this tank, but I do have 20odd RDTAs... none with a split reservoir, but...

Okay, I took a video of heating up the coils, I don't see any hotspots, but take a look for yourself
dropbox.com/home?preview=VID_20170426_231005.mp4

VictorC

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Ontario

Coruen

Apr 25, 2017
This link works, and I don't see any major issues with your coils, glowing from inside out, no hot spots. May be coil/cotton material affects the taste?
Well as I said in the first post:
I also tried my own SS316L coils, with 5 and 8 wraps, the Kanthal ones that came with it, the Alien Clapton, and changed the cotton every time, so I would be sure it's not the cotton/coil.
I'm pretty sure at least one of the coils would be good, because not all of them can be bad, even the factory ones, right? And the cotton, I've went through atleast 15 cm of cotton, I don't think the whole package can be bad.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Nope... not seeing any hotshots. Your batteries are WAY out of balance, though...

Honestly, I'm at a loss... as I stated before, I have a lot of RDTAs, and I love 'em. I can't picture the RDTA being the problem. You say the juice tastes fine in your Baby Beast tank? Maybe try a Baby Beast type build in the Big Bear... Dual 26 AWG Kanthal A1... 3 mm, 6 wrap... around .35 Ohms between 43 and 66 watts.

Coruen

Apr 25, 2017
Nope... not seeing any hotshots. Your batteries are WAY out of balance, though...

Honestly, I'm at a loss... as I stated before, I have a lot of RDTAs, and I love 'em. I can't picture the RDTA being the problem. You say the juice tastes fine in your Baby Beast tank? Maybe try a Baby Beast type build in the Big Bear... Dual 26 AWG Kanthal A1... 3 mm, 6 wrap... around .35 Ohms between 43 and 66 watts.

Well the batteries are cause I have only one-slot charger and I forgot to charge the second one.
Umm yeah, that might be a problem cause in the BB i have the Q2 coil, not RBA. Anyway I don't have the kanthal, I only have 316L SS, 0,5mm.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
If you forget to charge your second battery, don't use them until you do. You want a married pair, charging and discharging together. You really should get a 2-bay charger (at least) if you've got 2 battery mods, which you do. 4-Bay Nitecore chargers are like 20 bucks on amazon, and I assume a 2-bay is less.

Honestly if you've tried all these different configurations I would lean on something being wrong with the tank. What that is, I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread