Testimony by

William T Godshall, MPH
Executive Director
Smokefree Pennsylvania
1926 Monongahela Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15218
412-351-5880
BillGodshall@verizon.net

I’m Bill Godshall, founder and executive director of Smokefree Pennsylvania. Since 1990, we’ve successfully campaigned to ban smoking in workplaces, stop cigarette marketing to youth, increase cigarette tax rates, and require the FDA to impose a regulation for large color graphic warnings on all cigarette packs, which the FDA doesn’t deem important.

In 2010 we filed an amicus brief with other public health advocates opposing FDA’s import e-cig ban with the DC Court of Appeals, which upheld Judge Richard Leon’s 2010 ruling striking down FDA’s ban as unlawful.

Since 2011, we’ve opposed the FDA’s proposed “deeming” regulation because it would ban >99.9% of nicotine vapor products, protect cigarettes, increase smoking, threaten the lives of several million vapers and tens of millions of smokers, and create a huge black market for totally unregulated vapor products.

For disclosure, neither Smokefree Pennsylvania nor I have ever received any funding from any tobacco, drug or vapor product company, nor from any government agency whose policy is to ban vapor products, which is also a conflict of interest.

The scientific and empirical evidence consistently finds nicotine vapor products are 99% (+/-1%) less hazardous than cigarettes, have never been associated with any disease, and pose no known risks to nonusers.

Nicotine vapor products have already replaced >3 Billion packs of cigarettes, and >99% of nicotine vapor products are consumed by smokers or by ex-smokers who switched to vapor products, which are more effective and pose fewer risks than FDA approved smoking cessation drugs.

Adult and teen surveys consistently find that smokers and ex-smokers account for >90% of past 30 day e-cig users. It appears that >99% of daily vapers are smokers or ex-smokers who switched to vaping, but DHHS funded surveys still don’t inquire about daily vaping or even if nicotine was vaped, which has only served to bury the truth.

Two recent surveys found that 3 and 4 million US smokers respectively are no longer regular smokers because they switched to vapor products. Thus, it is mathematically impossible for vapor products to harm overall public health, even if every nonsmoker in America began vaping daily.

And yet, there’s no evidence vapor products have created daily dependence in any nonsmoker, nor is there any evidence vaping has served as a gateway to daily cigarette smoking for anyone.

But since 2009, the FDA and CDC have made many false and misleading fear mongering claims to confuse, scare and lobby to ban these lifesaving products under the deceitful guise of protecting children and public health. Dozens of DHHS funding recipients have also misrepresented the scientific evidence to scare the public to lobby to ban vapor products and/or vaping, including most presenters and panelists FDA has invited to speak at its three so-called public workshops on e-cigarettes.

The FDA should stop protecting cigarettes, and begin to protect public health.

Last edited:

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
Excellent! :) They needed to be called out. I wonder if they know by their deceitful actions on vaping as well as in other situations that their approval rating is right DOWN there with the House and Senate..... and the Veterans Admin., IRS, State Dept., Immigration Services......and are not trusted as far as we can throw them.

They think of smokers and vapers as isolated people who couldn't possibly be connected to anyone else outside of those groups. Somehow or another by their way of thinking, we don't have family, friends, work associates, church affiliations, etc. who do not smoke who couldn't possibly have anything to do with us because we do. Our vaping affects many outside of the smoking and vaping sphere and they are also beginning to see that these awful people are in it strictly for the money!

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I wonder if they know by their deceitful actions on vaping as well as in other situations that their approval rating is right DOWN there with the House and Senate.....

I'm guessing they do but they also know what percentage of the incumbents get re-elected.

reelection.jpg

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
Thank you :) and yes, Kent C. It's the same as my dog or kid "would never do that" blindness......my school is the best there is, my reps (if they even know their names) is looking out for me!

OTH, there are people in gov. who are not voted in nor can be voted out who hold a great deal of power. Kind of like the White House house staff. They know secrets and have information that can be used. Huge bureaucracies are a force of complicated regulations and run by frustratingly incompetent people with "lifetime" positions!

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
OTH, there are people in gov. who are not voted in nor can be voted out who hold a great deal of power. Kind of like the White House house staff. They know secrets and have information that can be used. Huge bureaucracies are a force of complicated regulations and run by frustratingly incompetent people with "lifetime" positions!
You mean like everyone who works for most of the agencies/depts in this list : List of federal agencies in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The fed gov has a list too, but the wiki one is arranged better and puts it all on one page so you get the full impact of just how bloated our federal gov't is.

Reactions: Sundodger

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
I'm sorry @choochoogranny - didn't mean to ruin your day! :(

As far as getting them to cut it out - only 2 ways I know. Starve the beast (de-fund everything - push for laws that won't allow a budget deficit or adding another penny to the debt); elect honest (!) politicians who will try to dismantle some of the worst offenders (Ron Paul was pretty good at that when he was a Rep - I miss him!!)

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
I'm guessing they do but they also know what percentage of the incumbents get re-elected.

reelection.jpg
this why they delegate authority to write regulations to the appropriate
agencies involved.
come election time its the same old caveat.
"i didn't intend for these reg.'s to go that far or not far enough.
i was thinking of the chillin'."
;)
regards
mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread