• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Bill To Be Introduced To Tax Vape Gear at 24%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
A member of the state house and the state senate have sponsored a bill in response to the AG's call to crack down on e-cigarettes.

The Hoosier Vapers are teaming up with the AVA and the Vape Militia to ask folks to write their representatives. The Hoosier Vapers FB page is posting guidelines and there is a link posted to find your state representatives if you don't already have the information.

The bill is reported to also define juice as tobacco and vape gear as tobacco smoking accessories, require shops to have a tobacco retailer license, require child proof caps, and make sales to minors illegal. (Yes, Indiana already has a law that requires someone to be 18, or older, to purchase vape stuff, but apparently out attorney general and state representatives don't know that.)

Link to Hoosier Vapers Facebook page is in my signature, as always.

dstncllns

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
New Albany, Indiana, United States
What bill is this? I'm having issues finding the bill, who introduced it, and what not.

EDIT: Never mind I found the bill. I am friends with the author of the bill and he is my state representative. I am reaching out to him to find out some more details about it.

Last edited:

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
The bills are starting to drop.

Vape 24mg? Indiana Senator Brandt Hershman thinks you should pay the state an extra $5.98 for a 30ml bottle. (This does not include sales tax, nor does it include the bill that is supposed to be introduced soon that tacks a 24% tax on also.) See the bill. CASAA's Take Action against SB384.

Like sampling juices at your favorite vape shop? Representative Clyde Kersey has introduced a bill that will make that illegal. See the bill. Yes, you read that right, that bill would make vaping and smoking exactly the same thing under state law. CASAA's Take Action against HB1169.

dstncllns

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
The bills are starting to drop.

Vape 24mg? Indiana Senator Brandt Hershman thinks you should pay the state an extra $5.98 for a 30ml bottle. (This does not include sales tax, nor does it include the bill that is supposed to be introduced soon that tacks a 24% tax on also.) See the bill. CASAA's Take Action against SB384.

Like sampling juices at your favorite vape shop? Representative Clyde Kersey has introduced a bill that will make that illegal. See the bill. Yes, you read that right, that bill would make vaping and smoking exactly the same thing under state law. CASAA's Take Action against HB1169.

My representative has promised me a call back today.Hoping to get a sense of where things are at.

dstncllns

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
No call, but just got a Facebook Message from him and he will call this week, just got wrapped up at the statehouse.

I work in politics day to day and just some tips for anyone who may call
1)If you can set up a constituent meeting- Face to face talks always work better
2) even if you can't get a hold of your rep/senator leave a message with an address so they know you're a constituent and ask them to oppose the bills
3) Also write them an e-mail too.
4)STAY RESPECTFUL

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
I have to add...
The first B&M in Evansville, opened in a liquor store, where you had to be 21 years old to enter!!
Regulators advised the owner to move the ecig business out of the liquor store, so he did. Duh, now they are worried about "children".
I started smoking analogs at about 14 years of age, so I'm not sure e-cigs are a real threat.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
John, owner of Vapor Bank, in Evansville kinda' disconnected from Hoosier Vapers awhile back. One of his employees started a facebook page, Indiana Vapers, and used our Hoosier Vapers logo. (Much to the chagrin of the guy on the Hoosier Vapers' council who made it.)

He has not responded to any emails, so I do not know if they are aware of what kind of hammer is coming down with these new bills being introduced. Might see if the Indiana Vapers FB page is still going and if there are any posts about this stuff on there?

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
John, owner of Vapor Bank, in Evansville kinda' disconnected from Hoosier Vapers awhile back. One of his employees started a facebook page, Indiana Vapers, and used our Hoosier Vapers logo. (Much to the chagrin of the guy on the Hoosier Vapers' council who made it.)

He has not responded to any emails, so I do not know if they are aware of what kind of hammer is coming down with these new bills being introduced. Might see if the Indiana Vapers FB page is still going and if there are any posts about this stuff on there?

I looked at that FB page. First image is pretty disturbing. i don't expect much from them. Motorhead mentality.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
OK, we have a battle plan. Worked it out yesterday at the meet in Beech Grove.

We are getting a petition and letter put together and will get them out into shops we have contact with. We had a couple of folks there that have long histories working inside the Indiana legislative buildings and learned a number of helpful things.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
Copy of email we sent out to store owners:

Hoosier Vapers and local political insider Evan McMahon would like to invite you to a gathering on Sunday, January 25 at the Antelope Club in downtown Indianapolis. The purpose of this gathering is to discuss ways to organize and fight the introduced and yet to be introduced legislation.

This event is open to all vapers 18 and over, no special invite needed. Food and beverages will be available to purchase.

State politicians have been invited and we expect a few who support our cause to be in attendance.

Antelope Club
615 N. Deleware St.
Indianapolis, IN 46204
3pm - as late as we need

We hope to see you all there,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread