Birth Control pills/products and e-smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I know it is way too early in the game to figure this out, and I apologize if the topic is elsewhere specifically, but I didn't see it.

I really want to know, are the birth control pills not recommended to smokers b/c of the nicotine or the other stuff? Does anyone really know?

I ask as I am "older" lol and avoided the pill cause I smoked, but now I'm looking at trying some methods using an e-cig and wondering if I should not even consider it.

mEtoke2

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2008
Wisconsin, USA
An Internet search provided this statement:

Many doctors recommend that women over 35 who are taking a daily low-dose birth control pill also refrain from using nicotine patch or nicotine gum products. Even though the patch and nicotine gum products are much safer than smoking, they can still present a threat to women who have high blood pressure, or who are diabetic or overweight.

Anyone who smokes more than 15 cigarettes a day should be very careful about using birth control pills. The risks increase for women who are over 35 years of age and for those who smoke a great deal. One study showed that women increase their chances of having a first time heartache 30 times if they smoke 25 cigarettes or more each day while taking birth control pills. This is true whether they are taking high dose pills or the low dose variety.
Even women who are not at high risk, and have not reached the age of 35, should be careful about combining nicotine and birth control pills. If a woman has certain risk factors, including a family history of heart disease, high cholesterol, and high blood pressure, these can be very dangerous when combined with smoking and birth control pills. One problem is clot formation which can occur both in the woman's veins and in her lungs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread