Bitter taste invading my mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny55

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2013
London UK
I'm at a bit of a loss as to what my problem is but I think I have an idea.

For the past year or so I've vaped pure 100% VG and nicotine, no PG, no flavourings. The only side effect was clearing my throat quite a lot. Not bringing up phlegm, just clearing it and swallowing.

I've gone back to flavoured vaping now, VG/PG 70/30 and after a few vapes I always end up dveloping a nasty bitter taste in my mouth which can take a day or two to clear. It came on again last night. What I've noticed is that I'm still clearing my throat but when I do that, I noticed my mouth starting to taste bitter and then it's impossible to taste any liquid properly. It's like clearing my throat is bringing something into my mouth, and I have a suspicion it's PG.

Today I woke up and my mouth still had a bit of that bitterness. I haven't vaped today yet and as I've been clearing my throat, my mouth has gotten that bitter taste again and the front of my tongue has started to feel mildly sore, like it's got an acidic coating. Water isn't helping that much. The taste is quite overwhelming.

The taste is like the taste of the most bitter coffee you could imagine or perhaps what I'd imagine drinking a bottle of nail varnish might taste like. This surely has to be PG?

But how is this happening? If it's the thick VG that I'm clearing from my throat, could that be holding PG residue and bringing it into my mouth? But why wouldn't I be able to wash it away easily?

I've bought a whole load of DIY supplies and this will give me the chance to experiment with ratios. I honestly don't know what ratio to start with. 50/50 might work as there's less VG to hold PG in my throat. Higher PG might work as there's hardly any VG and the PG might just not stick in my throat. Or max VG might work with just the PG in my flavour concentrates. Maybe 100% PG, no nic, no flavours to see if it's PG or rule it out. Any suggestions? I somehow doubt it's the flavours creating this bitter taste?

The main bitter taste emanates from the back of the mouth, from the top soft palate to the throat.

One other thing to mention. I've noticed liquid sometimes around my lips and liquid inside the chuff cap of my rda. Could it be I'm getting droplets hitting my throat?

Last edited:

czarina

Nov 23, 2015
Oh thank goodness! There's someone else experiencing this. I thought it was just me!

When I mentioned it at the vape shop, the lady looked at me like I was some kind of freak that belonged in a cage to be examined. (I didn't like her very much)

She had no explanation. I do have a theory. Everything Danny55 said is true for me, too. Including noticing some ejuice around my mouth.

My theory is it the nicotine. I know that nicotine is very bitter. I am only 5 days analog free, and pretty darned miserable.

But, since I started vaping, I have had this hidious taste in my mouth, that doesn't go away.

I am not enjoying vaping. No matter what flavor I use, very rarely can I taste it. I am using sweet flavors. I am using 18mg nic
and I have even tryed combining an 18 with a 6mg. But it doesn't help.

Hopefully, someone will have an answer.
This bitter taste is hidious. I do admit to doing almost constant vaping, only 5 days cigg free.

czarina

Nov 23, 2015
At least for me, thats not it. As a nurse, I run around the hospital, to all my friends, once a year, and do kinda a self physical, and then take the results, (EKG, labwork, etc), to my Dr. to look over. So , for me, I'm sure my blood sugar is good, and the few times I do get heartburn, like after eating jalapenos, I pop a Pepcid.

I justvknow that I haven't been able to really enjoy vaping, cause of this nasty taste, Every once in a while, I get a little touch of flavor, and am hoping to be able to keep this up!

I have been giving my tongue an extra rigorous brushing each day, to make sure sure its clean.

I really have no idea. Hopefully I will transition out of this stage.

cng114

Dec 6, 2015
Check your blood sugar. This symptom is experienced by people with high blood sugars. Maybe go to doc, get labs done, then take omeprazole over the counter as directed. I bet it's acid reflux.

Wow,.. I do get some bad acid reflux at times. I got blood work done less than a year ago, and the doc said all was good. I think I will look into the omeprazole stuff you suggested. Thank you

cng114

Dec 6, 2015
At least for me, thats not it. As a nurse, I run around the hospital, to all my friends, once a year, and do kinda a self physical, and then take the results, (EKG, labwork, etc), to my Dr. to look over. So , for me, I'm sure my blood sugar is good, and the few times I do get heartburn, like after eating jalapenos, I pop a Pepcid.

I justvknow that I haven't been able to really enjoy vaping, cause of this nasty taste, Every once in a while, I get a little touch of flavor, and am hoping to be able to keep this up!

I have been giving my tongue an extra rigorous brushing each day, to make sure sure its clean.

I heard that you can vape plain juice or menthol vapes to trick the part of the brain that controls taste ( more like the smells that creates taste) into a reset. That I'd what I'm doing now. I sure hope it works

cng114

Dec 6, 2015
I'm using White Walker by Seduce Juice now, which is 50/50 and 6ml. I also DIY'd some 70vg/30pg at 6ml. It taste fine. Very flavorless, but great clouds and it still feels like vaping. Just doesn't taste like anythings in it. I started this afternoon and plan on vaping these two for at least 48hrs.

To go off your first post, I thought it was my coils. Only problem with that was I use three mods with several different tanks and rda's. I still switched out one coil but, no go. All my devices taste the same with different juices that are not menthols. Idk. I gotta try somethin

Nimaz

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2015
Check your blood sugar. This symptom is experienced by people with high blood sugars. Maybe go to doc, get labs done, then take omeprazole over the counter as directed. I bet it's acid reflux.

I am not to sure to follow you on this one. people with high blood sugar or with diabetes will experience many more severe symptoms than just a bitter taste including, fatigue, constant thirst, lost of weight, frequent need to urinate, constant hunger especially for sweets, acetonuria which is associated with bad breath due to acetone. Acetone may promote a bitter taste, but this symptom would be overwhelmed by the others and would not be the only one. No need to be alarmist if the described bitter taste is not associated with the other symptoms specific to diabetes, including acid reflux.

Last edited:
Reactions: Katmar

cng114

Dec 6, 2015
I am not to sure to follow you on this one. people with high blood sugar or with diabetes will experience many more severe symptoms than just a bitter taste including, fatigue, constant thirst, lost of weight, frequent need to urinate, constant hunger especially for sweets, acetonuria which is associated with bad breath due to acetone. Acetone may promote a bitter taste, but this symptom would be overwhelmed by the others and would not the only one. No need to be alarmist if the describe bitter taste is not associated with the other symptoms specific to diabetes, including acid reflux.

Where do you think the bitter taste is coming from, and do you think it's something that will pass?

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Many flavorings taste bitter or chemical to me. I have the bitter gene. I cannot tolerate any commercial ejuice I have tried except for a couple of cheap tobacco flavors.
I started DIY early or I would have went back to smoking.
I also cannot tolerate artificial sweetners.
I can tolerate the Capella flavorings best but not all of them. My current all day vape is CAP Vanilla Custard at 4% in 50/50.

Pg not VG taste bad to me. But most flavorings will just kill my taste buds and actually make my mouth feel puffy inside, but no swelling.
Artificial sweeteners are bloody horrible to me I will go thirsty before I will drink a diet soda.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com

In your case, 5 days smoke-free, your tastebuds are still mostly comatose -- it can take 6 months or more to really be able to taste even the most highly-flavored ejuice. When I first started, I vaped nothing but Virginia tobacco flavored, and I think it was very mildly flavored, but everytime I tried to taste other stuff at the vape shop, I just couldn't taste it... till I'll been smoke-free for QUITE a few months.

You may continue to experience very weird tastes and smells and lots of other strange symptoms for 3-6 months after quitting. It's a lot more to do with the quitting, than the vaping.

Andria

Nimaz

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2015
Where do you think the bitter taste is coming from, and do you think it's something that will pass?

Honestly, I am clueless... but associating this bitter taste to diabetes is too big of a jump for my taste, and if it's diabetes it's therefore vaping unrelated. In your position, I would try to go by elimination first questioning whether it is strictly associated with my vape or possibly something else or a combination. If it's clearly associated with vaping, I would stop vaping and see how the symptom goes and if it goes away then I will test each ingredients VG, PG, Flavors, nicotine and batches' origins. You can also take the reverse approach and eliminate one by one each ingredient and see how it goes. The tank, mod, coils, the wick or even the wattage might also be questionable. It's easier to say than to do and it takes time but I had horrible vape for weeks recently and it took me quite some tests and time to figure out the issue. I even had to significantly drop vaping for a while. Hopefully someone will have a specific answer to help you out.

Reactions: Danny55

cng114

Dec 6, 2015
Honestly, I am clueless... but associating this bitter taste to diabetes is too big of a jump for my taste, and if it's diabetes it's therefore vaping unrelated. In your position, I would try to go by elimination first questioning whether it is strictly associated with my vape or possibly something else or a combination. If it's clearly associated with vaping, I would stop vaping and see how the symptom goes and if it goes away then I will test each ingredients VG, PG, Flavors, nicotine and batches' origins. You can also take the reverse approach and eliminate one by one each ingredient and see how it goes. The tank, mod, coils, the wick or even the wattage might also be questionable. It's easier to say than to do and it takes time but I had horrible vape for weeks recently and it took me quite some tests and time to figure out the issue. I even had to significantly drop vaping for a while. Hopefully someone will have a specific answer to help you out.

That's all great stuff. Thank you very much for your input. I'll see if I can't figure this thing out.

ManiacMedic

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2015
I am not to sure to follow you on this one. people with high blood sugar or with diabetes will experience many more severe symptoms than just a bitter taste including, fatigue, constant thirst, lost of weight, frequent need to urinate, constant hunger especially for sweets, acetonuria which is associated with bad breath due to acetone. Acetone may promote a bitter taste, but this symptom would be overwhelmed by the others and would not be the only one. No need to be alarmist if the described bitter taste is not associated with the other symptoms specific to diabetes, including acid reflux.

Being in the medical field, I think the worst first. Check you blood sugar, which is probably fine, and then after which, it's probably a bit of Reflux. Omeprazole should solve the issue but talk to your doctor.

Reactions: Danny55

Nimaz

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2015
Being in the medical field, I think the worst first. Check you blood sugar, which is probably fine, and then after which, it's probably a bit of Reflux. Omeprazole should solve the issue but talk to your doctor.

Been in the medical field, you should also understand that you cannot diagnose a disease without having the full set of symptoms. Even though taking a blood sugar test is not a big deal, suggesting diabetes over a bitter test is too much from my stand point, unless as I said, this is associated with the other symptoms specific to diabetes. You should also be aware that taking medication when it's not required is better avoided. Please, don't be alarmist when it's not necessary, people get worry over it and it's not good either. Staying properly hydrated may just be enough to resolve this issue. Just saying...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread