Blood test lab results for nicotine levels!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwarren

Jun 12, 2011
Royersford PA
whats cotinine? (and no. I dont wanna google it!) :)

Cotinine is an alkaloid found in tobacco and is also a metabolite of nicotine.[1][2] The word "cotinine" is an anagram of "nicotine". Cotinine is used as a biomarker for exposure to tobacco smoke and has also been sold as an antidepressant under the brand name Scotine.[1]
Similarly to nicotine, cotinine binds to, activates, and desensitizes neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptors, though at much lower potency in comparison.[2][3][4][5] It has demonstrated nootropic and antipsychotic-like effects in scientific research.[6][7]

HolaAmigos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2011
Texas
I'm still trying to see how this would be a win-win. I think you're assuming that everyone who picks up an e-cig quits cigarettes. There is absolutely no evidence of that. Lots of people are not able to get off of analogs using e-cigs. The reason is that e-cigs are a lousy source of nicotine. It's not even equal to nicotine gum.

For some people it works. For others it doesn't. You may be able to get by with 1/10 the nicotine you did with analogs but many can't.

I'm simply trying to be realistic. You may want to look at this thread
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...0-mg-liquids-since-absorbion-rate-so-low.html

I can see your point...

And yeah, there may be no evidence....BUT I NO LONGER SMOKE.

HolaAmigos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2011
Texas
Wicked self-study happily. Thats great information! Thanks for sharing.

One factor you didin't account for, what voltage do you vape at? As id imagine, higher voltage delivers more nicotine. Im guessing your vaping 3.7v for this study. Now try 7.4v and see what happens? :D

Yikes, forget the 7.4....even at 5.0, I am on :evil:

Phayah

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2009
US
I think it's mostly placebo. It works better than other methods because it's the only one that mimics smoking so closely. It is also quite tasty and fun to mess with. =D

Also, others may have it harder because of genetics/heredity, exposure to prenatal smoking, starting young, or certain health/behavioral/neurological problems.

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
Okay, you guys and gals can pat yourself on the back all you want, but I'm still not buying it.

It appears as if you have to chain vap the strongest liquid out there to get your nicotine level up to 2 mg nicotine gum. That sounds a whole lot more like a smoking cessation program rather then a smoking replacement program. It's the real achilles heal of e-cigs.

It would also point to a high rate of failure. It's just not enough nicotine to be a good long term replacement for cigarettes.

Try not to take this the wrong way, though you already have, I'm not against e-cigs. I just don't think it's a good smoking replacement for the masses. The average Jane and Joe just doesn't have the time to suck on an e-cig for 8 hours a day to try and keep there nicotine levels up to acceptable levels. Most people actually have to work for a living.

If anyone actually took the time to read the link I posted above you can see that I'm not alone in this. Until the manufactures can make some liquid that has a much higher absorption rate e-cigs are doomed to a second rate niche product. Not-quite-ready-for-prime-time. It's very easy to cut back on nicotine if that's what you want to do, just cut your nicotine level or use it less often. Unfortunately, with the current state of the art in e-cigs, you can't push it any higher if need be.

I think the e-liquid manufactures need to get on the ball and give the rest of us what is needed.

Cotinine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Cotinine is an antidepressent. Even though there is very little in the OP's read-out, there indeed it is. Combine this Cotinine with the excitement of quitting smoking plus the excitement of joining a new community of supporters, and bingo. Many quit smoking the first day, the first week. Until stress enters our life. Some remember to buy snus, some grab a pack of smokes. There isn't enough Cotinine to help us through when the excitement wanes and stress enters our world once again. Purchasing new gadgets, new Mods, becoming obsessed with the entire vaping happening is our self made Cotinine of sorts. If the Nicotine were higher, the Cotinine would be higher to help combat during the stressful times. In short, I agree with your statement. It's also one that Elaine Keller mentions often. The MoAI puzzle. Oh sure, we could always go to big pharma and purchase their version of it, called Scotine and so forth, but god knows what else is in their recipe. We prefer our nicotine and shouldn't have to beg big pharma for their version of it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread