Blow Up - Any Truth To The Rumor That E-Cig's can "Blow Up" ?

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by CanIPlayWithMadness, Nov 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. CanIPlayWithMadness

CanIPlayWithMadness Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Catch on fire, anything like that? At any time, for any reason??

I'm a total newbie. And this is a total newbie question. So please bear with me.

2. wharr

wharr Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

First off welcome to ECF, Yes it is true. There are batteries that are being sold that are not fit for vaping. There are also mods and other things can can cause them to get too hot and explode. I have not experienced this problem due to I purchase from reputable knowledgable vendors. While vaping if you feel your battery or mod getting hot then remove the battery.
    I am sure more experienced members will be along shortly with more accurate answers.

Good luck and again welcome to ECF :toast:

3. Vapoor eyes er

Vapoor eyes er ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Yes if not observing proper battery safety. Never charge batts unattended. ALWAYS buy safe chemistry quality batts and charger from a reputable Vendor. Never overcharge batts. Make sure your Mod has vents/ holes.

4. awsum140

awsum140 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Just to chime in a little...Most of the "horror" stories of batteries blowing up can be traced to user error more than any other reason. Improper charger, "well, it looked like it was the same", improper charging environment, like left in a car attached to a charger in the broiling sun during the summer, and there are other examples.

That said, the lithium based batteries used in e-cigs, mods as well as "stick" batteries, are capable of producing very high amount of power for varying amounts of time. Some common sense, some basic knowledge of batteries and using quality batteries and chargers can probably eliminate most of the possibilities of things going wrong.

Just think about how many items contain lithium batteries today, cell phones, laptops, flashlight, medical equipment used in hospitals, airplanes and the list goes on and on. Statistically, something will go wrong with a battery somewhere, somehow, no matter how careful you may be, but the statistics show it its an extremely rare event.

5. tj99959

tj99959 ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Here's the difference:

A few years ago some Colgate electric toothbrushes blew up .......... result ......... Colgate toothbrushes manufactured between xxxx and xxxx were recalled.

This year a couple of ego clones blew up ........... result ........... nothing, except e-cigs get a black eye. The CPSC chooses to ignore any safety related issues with e-cigs because of FDA involvement.

The irony of it all is that the regulations needed to insure that we have safe products have existed for a long-long time, all they need is to be enforced! ........... by the proper agencies!!!!!

6. Ryedan

Ryedan ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

tj, what is CPSC?

Oh, I just know this is a dumb question :facepalm:

7. CanIPlayWithMadness

CanIPlayWithMadness Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I must say, You bunch of guys have been very quick and informative to the questions of a newbie who might not even be posting here tomorrow. This is very cool and just another reason why I WILL still be posting here tomorrow.

8. D. Waterhouse

D. Waterhouse Ultra Member ECF Veteran

And cellphone and laptops. Lithium chemistry batteries, improperly handled or manufactured, can enter a state known as thermal runaway and vent hot gas and possibly flame.

If you buy good quality batteries, use them within their stated ratings, and charge then on a quality charger, the danger is basically nil.

9. burtonsnowww

burtonsnowww Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

keep your batteries handled well if you are carrying extras ( in a case) and there should be zero problems.

10. tj99959

Consumer Protection Safety Commission.
    CPSC - Home

Their the ones that recall dog food & baby cribs

11. Kaisen

Kaisen Senior Member ECF Veteran

Consumer Product Safety Commission

12. nosaj03

nosaj03 Full Member Verified Member

This is a very excellent question. Any source of power or energy has the potential to explode or ignite. The concern is really the damage and destruction done by the explosion.

13. Sue's Your Daddy

Sue's Your Daddy Full Member

Does all of this apply to the eroll too? The atty on that gets hot, but not the battery. Now I'm paranoid. I had chalked it up to "folklore".

14. Scarey

Scarey Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Yup, so can your phone, or any other battery.

15. tj99959

No, the atty gets hot because there is a HEATING element in it. It get hot exactly the same way your toaster gets hot.

16. asf146

asf146 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

17. DetraMental

DetraMental Vaping Master ECF Veteran

I watched a program on them and it was very informative. The tests they run are so thorough. Things you couldn't even imagine, they do it to protect us consumers. It's quite amazing.

18. tj99959

True, and it is their responsibility to do the same with e-cigs ........... except they don't.

19. NicoHolic

NicoHolic Ultra Member ECF Veteran

20. Fulgurant

Fulgurant Super Member ECF Veteran

I apologize for skimming most of the thread, but I feel compelled to add the following, obligatory note:

It's true that a personal vaporizer can "blow up," but it's also true that you might get struck by lightning. As long as you don't handle your batteries negligently, there's an absolutely negligible chance of anything bad happening. And since the major battery-safety concerns are largely confined to vapers who use advanced items (so-called mods, usually coupled with ultra-low-resistance heating coils, often built by the user), the idea that exploding e-cigs are a concern that's even relevant to the general public is frankly preposterous.

The news outlets that carry scare-mongering stories on this subject should be ashamed of themselves.

Now, does any of the above mean that you should ignore all of the wonderful battery-safety advice you'll find in this forum? Absolutely not. Casual observers should keep the big picture in mind, though.

: vamo, evic, kayfun
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.