Blow Up - Any Truth To The Rumor That E-Cig's can "Blow Up" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

madqatter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
Virginia
Sub-ohm vaping is another subject altogether when speaking of battery safety. Most of the IMR and hybrid batteries commonly available to mod users are not capable of sustaining the amps necessary for the RBA/RDA users who make coils less than 0.6 ohms. This requires using special IMR or hybrid batteries that have a 20 amp continuous discharge rating.
I don't think this can be posted often enough in the New Members forum: PSA: Cloud Chasing is Dangerous.

I have become particularly critical of some of the vapor shops in southern California who are selling novice vapors a mechanical mod topped with a sub-ohm coil as their very first e-cigarette, with no precautions or warnings, only go home and make some clouds. These novices have no clue on battery safety nor do they own or know how to use a multimeter to test their coils. This is criminal negligence as far as I am concerned. If this practice is any clue to judge a vape shop salesman, then they fail the test big time.
One of the things that concerns me when I visit vape shops is that nearly all the mods on display are mechs. Some do carry some VV/VW mods such as the eVic or MVP2, but there are lots and lots and lots of pretty mechs. The "feel" of these environments is "This is the cool/BA way to vape. If you're at all serious about vaping, this is the direction you will go." I own mechs, I love mechs, but I often wonder whether customers are being advised about mech safety and, if so, what's being taught.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I don't think this can be posted often enough in the New Members forum: PSA: Cloud Chasing is Dangerous.

One of the things that concerns me when I visit vape shops is that nearly all the mods on display are mechs. Some do carry some VV/VW mods such as the eVic or MVP2, but there are lots and lots and lots of pretty mechs. The "feel" of these environments is "This is the cool/BA way to vape. If you're at all serious about vaping, this is the direction you will go." I own mechs, I love mechs, but I often wonder whether customers are being advised about mech safety and, if so, what's being taught.
I have not found that to be so of the vape shops in my city, most are regulated mods. But if vape shops are pushing mechanicals in your area, I'd be a little concerned about that, too. Hopefully they are educating customers on safe useage, and encouraging them to research more on their own. Educational handouts would be a nice idea.

I started my most recent blog on batteries with a commentary of my feeling that mechanical mods are not the ideal first mod for a novice:

Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries

JaneB

Unregistered Supplier
Nov 1, 2013
Colorado
vapeshop.com
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

Steam Turbine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Montreal Quebec Canada
I just so happen to be in Cali right now so, I (of course) went to Vape Rev. Super nice place, extremely nice gear, super friendly staff. Most of every things are mechs and rba's, they have a tiny section of VV stuff and some clearos.

I bought a King mod and a Kayfun Lite right off the shelf:

-Thank you sir... Have a nice day!

No warnings.... no making sure I knew what I was doing. Disappointing.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I just so happen to be in Cali right now so, I (of course) went to Vape Rev. Super nice place, extremely nice gear, super friendly staff. Most of every things are mechs and rba's, they have a tiny section of VV stuff and some clearos.

I haven't gone window shopping for RBA's in a long time, but when I bought my AGA-T2's from Discount Vapors several months ago, half of the page was warnings that this was an advanced device and meant for only those customers experienced with RBA's. This warning made me be sure that I knew what I was getting into and do my homework.

I wonder how many customers choose an RBA tank off the shelf in a vape shop primarily because it looks cool, bring it home and wonder where the cartomizer goes. :blink:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Seeing those pics, I'm kinda scared to upgrade... ><

My intent in providing those pics was in no way meant to discourage people from upgrading to a mod. My intent was to enlighten people's awareness that these batteries are extremely powerful, capable of destruction and harm if not used properly. Used in the proper manner, they are reasonably safe to use in mods.

There have been more reported battery incidents with eGo batteries and chargers venting than replaceable batteries. Most battery incidents can be traced to user error.

Nikkita6

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
New York
Seeing those pics, I'm kinda scared to upgrade... ><

Don't be scared, just get educated, and don't act wrecklessly ...

The whole sub ohm thing ... I don't know why people need to go to such extremes. I mean, whatever happen to some good ole 100% VG juice dripped on a well made atty at normal resistance?? Were these clouds not good enough?? ... I think they were.

I will probably get a Mech Mod soon, but there will be no sub ohm vaping for me .. I have safe chemistry batts that are capable of a 25A draw, which makes me feel extra safe being that I don't ever require more than 2.5A with the way that I vape.

Steam Turbine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Montreal Quebec Canada
Don't be scared, just get educated, and don't act wrecklessly ...

The whole sub ohm thing ... I don't know why people need to go to such extremes. I mean, whatever happen to some good ole 100% VG juice dripped on a well made atty at normal resistance?? Were these clouds not good enough?? ... I think they were.

I will probably get a Mech Mod soon, but there will be no sub ohm vaping for me .. I have safe chemistry batts that are capable of a 25A draw, which makes me feel extra safe being that I don't ever require more than 2.5A with the way that I vape.

I'm not telling people to jump head first into sub ohming.... But a safe sub ohm coil is a very easy and possible thing to do.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada

I'd think these could cause the charger circuits to overheat because they reduce the air flow around it.

Good point NicoHog. I have a lipo charging bag that I bought for use with my model airplane lipo packs. The difference with those batteries compared to ours is that they have a wiring harness attached which my charger's wiring harness plugs into. That means there is a cable between the charger and the battery pack so the pack goes into the bag, without the charger.

I tried once putting my Xtar WP2 charger at 500 mA into the bag and it worked out fine. I suspect the charger must have got a bit warmer at least in there, but it was not significant. Now the Xtar is a good little charger and the temperature rise is only a few degrees without the bag, so I wouldn't assume this to be the case with all chargers.

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
Lipo charging bags are a good idea; they are a bit of an inconvenience, but worth the extra hassle. A bit off topic; but still relevant...I own a micro helicopter and purchased extra high end batteries for said copter. One day while charging all the batteries I noticed that a few has swollen, I decided best to set aside and replace them. On the trip to get replacements I noticed that my pocket I had put the batteries in was terribly warm. When I arrived at the store I showed the batteries to the owner and said me thinks these are in a bad way, you may want to put these in the metal container. He grabbed them noting how hot they were and gently tossed them into the safety container they use to dispose of batteries (just emptied that morning thank goodness) and when he tossed them into the container they caught on fire.

Now I ALWAYS charge lipo batteries in a safety bag, be it the helicopter or the e-cig batteries, I do however use the laptop in the standard way. I have heard that these bags are not the best of the best for safety, but they beat nothing. Should a blow out happen at least it is mostly contained in the bag and less likely to burn through the counter or floor. I have thought of making a safety container of my own using a fire proof safe and some fire proofing compound where the cord would enter just haven't found time.
Question..when they swelled up..where you "fast charging" them?

Most if not all e-cig batteries are a very low charge at CC/CV, Li Ion are chemically designed to slow charge and FAST discharge, pushing too much voltage or too much current can result in a vent

madqatter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
Virginia
Most of every things are mechs and rba's, they have a tiny section of VV stuff and some clearos.

This is exactly the kind of thing I get concerned about in vape shops....

Not long ago I went into a shop where almost all the mods on display were mechs. All the staff members I've seen vaping were vaping mechs. I got into a brief conversation with an employee about tanks. He prefers plastic because he's broken a glass one, I prefer glass because I don't want to worry about juices that might damage plastic. That's when I learned he'd never heard that there are juices that may damage plastic tanks. And I thought, This person advises people about batteries. Or doesn't. Either way, I'm kinda uncomfortable about that. I realize that he may know a helluva lot about batteries and just not use very many different juices, but it still worried at me....

CanIPlayWithMadness

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2013
Hollister,Ca.USA
Here's the difference:

A few years ago some Colgate electric toothbrushes blew up .......... result ......... Colgate toothbrushes manufactured between xxxx and xxxx were recalled.

This year a couple of ego clones blew up ........... result ........... nothing, except e-cigs get a black eye. The CPSC chooses to ignore any safety related issues with e-cigs because of FDA involvement.

The irony of it all is that the regulations needed to insure that we have safe products have existed for a long-long time, all they need is to be enforced! ........... by the proper agencies!!!!!

Yes. This makes sense, I am not surprised.

The reason I started this thread was because I am completely new to this whole vaping E-Cig stuff. Total newbie.

You guys should have seen the questions I had when I first got my new computer with Windows 98. Phew. Thank god this isn't nearly as annoying and screwed up as Win 98.

Also, because a friend asked the question and I had no idea so I thought that I would ask all of you.

So, thanks again, guys. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread