Blu Disposable Menthol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newbz

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2010
US
I managed to forget my trusty Riva during my travels one day which led to me stopping by a gas station and purchasing a Blu disposable.

The package promised over 400 puffs of menthol goodness, and so for $7, I was in.

My expectations were pretty low. After all, this is a product that is meant to either introduce you to the world of vaping or to get you by for a day or two at the most.

The unit was fairly attractive looking. It was all black with a matte black design pattern of some sort embossed on it. As an auto e-cig, it's activated by taking a puff, and the end glowed in the Blu signature color. I would say it was about the length of a king size cigarette. Weight wasn't bad in my hand and the integrated cartomizer was comfortable enough in my mouth.

What was the PG/VG ratio or nicotine content? Not really sure as the package had no real info on it. Just basic instructions of how to use the PV, which was simple enough, put in mouth, take a drag.

I choose the menthol flavor. The flavor reminded me of milk of magnesia mixed with dusty dried lawn clippings. While that might seem like faint praise, it's far from the worst e-liquid I've ever had and an initial puff confirmed that I could make due. Vapor was fine, leading me to believe that it had to have at least some VG in it.

Sadly, I only got about 20 puffs out of the thing before it died. In terms of how long I actually used the thing, I'd guesstimate I owned this very attractive and yet ultimately useless device for about 10 minutes before it was spent. IOW, I paid about 35 cents per drag. Pretty spendy for a milk of magnesia vape.

Now, I do not post this review because I'm somehow shocked with the level of quality I received from a disposable (although I did have an expectation that I'd get at least an hour or two out of the thing) but more as a reminder to:

A. Don't forget your PV at home. Seriously, who does that?!?!? ;)

and

B. If you're thinking about getting one of these things for a smoker friend/ family member in hopes that it will turn them on to vaping, this might not be the best model for a first time experience. Even a super cheap starter kit is going to be a better performer than this thing.

I give this product a thumbs up for it's availability in most any gas station, but it gets three thumbs down for being DOA. Blu needs to work on its packaging to keep the disposable from firing in the package and thus lasting less than a half hour once purchased.

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
I had pretty good luck with Blu's once I got past the advertising and realized the limited number of draws (and learned how to refill their cartomizers). They're a pretty well engineered product. They did seem to have a rash of bad charger pac's -- but they stood behind their product and accepted exchanges at the retailers. And they got me to quit cigarettes.

Last edited:

Newbz

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2010
US
I had pretty good luck with Blu's once I got past the advertising and realized the limited number of draws (and learned how to refill their cartomizers). They're a pretty well engineered product. They did seem to have a rash of bad charger pac's -- but they stood behind their product and accepted exchanges at the retailers. And they got me to quit cigarettes.

Ah, glad you had good luck with the rechargeable Blu product. The best brand after all, is the one that got you off the smokes. :)

However, this review is specifically for the Blu disposable e- cigarette, which does not re-charge, the cartomizer does not come off of the battery, nor is it refillable, and there are no refunds on this particular product. This item is on the same shelf as traditional cigarettes at many gas stations. You open the blister pack, take a drag, and use this model until it dies and then you toss or recycle the PV. Hope that clarifies.

Newbz

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2010
US
not sure how it is now, but a year ago i remember asking them (blu) about their liquid vendor and they told me everything came from johnson's creek. also, JC made special blends available only to them.

Ah! Now that you mention it, I remember hearing that somewhere along the line too.
I reviewed the entire JC collection awhile back. Here's what I had to say at the time about their menthol:

"Arctic Menthol 18 mg
Maybe it’s just how they make their mint and menthol blends, but this has the same milk of magnesia taint that Wisconsin Frost has. My brain is telling me I should be enjoying this creamy cool blend, but my tongue is convinced I’m guzzling from the blue Phillips bottle.
Purchase again? No."

So yeah, *that* was the flavor. Wonder how I managed to forget that. ;)

I've been vaping for about 4 years now. My current setup is my favorite - Atmizoo Roller with a Stormrider Steamboy atomizer (velvet vapors organic juice) BUT - I was able to quit smoking b/c of Blu.

I owned the starterkit, quickly grew out of that and moved on to Mods and DIY Geni style Atomizers. I recently bought a Blu Classic Tobacco disposable (impulse purchase). I had low expectations, but I was happily surprised! The disposable tasted good (to me, I always liked their classic tobacco flavor), it lasted longer then I expected (3.5 days light/med usage) and the vapor performance was average to good.

Because I had such a decent to good experience with the disposable I bought another at a liquor store by my work. This time the consistency was different. The second disposable was not as good as the first. I thought that the vapor production was less and the battery lasted a bit less. I did notice that the cover on the carto was black vs the first disposable - it had a white cover..? I'm curious as to why one was white and the other was black??

Over all, I think this an okay purchase, a bit pricey (anywhere from $10 - $15) but a great replacement if one forgets their regular Mod or e-Cig at home or for a night out.

moondog8985

Apr 18, 2014
United States
wow you had even worse luck out of your blu menthol disposable than i did! wanted to give vaping a try so i grabbed one from the gas station on my way home thursday, used it all that night, and it died on me friday morning! (id say medium usage maybe :<) i thought it tasted okay personally though, even if it really was pretty hard to notice most of the time.

Still pretty annoyed that their "Equivalent to a pack and a half" cig didnt even last a full two days for someone who was using it fairly casually. theres a 10 dollar lesson that i should have just got a rechargeable kit in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread