Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2015
North Charleston, SC
So, I read some reviews and watched a couple of videos about the Blu Plus+, most quite positive, and was intrigued by the system. However, I didn't want to spend $40 on a starter kit that I'm not likely to use regularly. Blu then came out with the $15 Plus Xpress kit that basically doesn't include the portable charging case. So, I picked one up from a Walgreens with a coupon for $8 off. Taxes and all, it cost me under $8. It also came with a $10 off coupon for a three pack of tanks. I picked up a pack of Vivid Vanilla and paid just over $5. It all totaled just a bit under $13. Not bad for a 510 battery and charger (both of which I needed to replace in my arsenal anyhow) and five tanks.

So, quality wise, it's standard Blu fare. The battery lasts me about 2 and a half hours between recharges and takes about 40 minutes or so to recharge. Not great, but not too bad. The charger works fine, nothing special there. All siad, though, Blu REALLY has stepped up their quality with the 510 batteries. A couple of hours out of a tiny, 62mm battery is not too shabby.

Really, the big "thing" here is the Blu tanks and that they don't use a polyfill cartomizer. It's apparantly a miniature clearomizer or glassomizer... without the clear or the glass parts. A tankomizer, if you will. Is all the hype deserved? I'll say this: they DO chuck out a lot more vapor than any cartomizer I've ever used with a stick battery. Flavors come in really powerfully, for better or worse, and a tank lasts me (moderate to heavy vaping) just about a whole day. Not bad for a tank that's the size of a carto. It keeps the length of the ecig at about 100mm, or about the standard size of a cigarette.

Here's an issue, though. The flavors: if you don't like the Blu flavors, you probably won't like these too much. They taste just like any other Blu flavor, just stronger. The Vanilla is perfectly fine and tastes like a vanilla flavored cake. Pretty pleasant, actually. I've always liked the Blu Cherry Crush, and those are still just as good in the tank format. Blu has a few new flavors for the tank system, too, but I haven't heard anything about them or had the opportunity to try them. The two included tobacco flavored tanks taste like cheap vending machine coffee, but so did the old cartos and the disposables. It's not horrible or even rbad, per se, but not particularly pleasant, either. Just kind of there. And I know from personal experience that the menthol flavor tastes like spearmint flavored cheap coffee. Taste is subjective, but there my opinion is.

If you can find a flavor you like, it's actually quite a nice system. Much nicer, even with the PCC that I didn't get, I'd imagine (it rapid charges the batteries in 20 minutes). However, there's one HUGE gripe that there's no getting around: The cost of the tanks. They're $15 for a three pack. Five bucks a piece. Five bucks a day for me. That's pretty ridiculous for what has to amount to something like 0.5 to 0.8 milliliters of juice. And, unless you're willing to get a drill out and cut a hole into the side of the tank, there's no way to refill these. That's pretty shady... and expensive. Oh, and no bulk discounts on the Blu webpage, either. Poo.

I really do like the kit for what it is and how it performs. It's really an awesome starter kit, especially the kit with the charging case. However, the price of those tanks is flat out obnoxious. I'm going to try my hand at drilling out and refilling a used tank with my own juice and see what the results are. It won't affect me too much since I don't have the PCC (the hacked tanks don't fit in the PCC once they're refilled, negating a whole lot of the usefulness of the case). Maybe I'll like it better if I can easily refill the tanks and can do it multiple times before the coils and/or wick burn out.

For now, though, even though it's a really nice system and certainly the best performing standard length cigalike on the planet, I really can't recommend the Blu Plus+ system... it's just too bloody expensive to replenish. We'll see if my opinion changes when I attempt to refill the spent tanks.

Last edited:

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2015
North Charleston, SC
Cost is a relative thing dependent on where you live. Around here butts are hovering around $10.00 a pack so for a PAD smoker using one Blu+ tank a day instead - that comes down to cutting their costs in half.
Agreed, but there are FAR more cost effective ways to vape.

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2015
North Charleston, SC
Nope. Those are the gas station disposables. The quality of the hardware in the Plus kits is much higher. However, the quality of the juice will vary by the taste of the user. Basically, I got a good 510 stick battery (the new blu batteries really are much higher quality than just a year or two ago) and a charger for $7 plus tax. I needed them anyway, so I basically got two free crappy juice tanks (or not, if you like stale, cheap vending machine coffee) and then purchased 3 tanks with what is actually a pretty decent flavor for $5. I can't say I'll purchase any more tanks, only because of the price. That said, though, the battery will work fine with any standard 510 carto and seem to last a couple hours or so between charges. It's a shame about the price... these micro tanks really perform great and are TONS smaller than the Kanger cigalike tanks... just to bloody expensive compared to cartos or the Kanger clearomizer. Like I said, I'm going to try drilling the empty tank out and I'l see how many refills a tank can survive before it poops out.

dreamerjosh

Nov 6, 2012
Puerto Rico
It is nice to read this review. I used the blu premium kit a year ago. It was really decent. And I liked the fact of their size. Actually, that was my first system to keep off from smoking. What I didn't liked was the fact that here, in Puerto Rico, there are no retailers but Walgreens, and the cartridges, almost everytime 3 out of 5 came defective. And yes, it was reaaaally expensive for me. I changed to an EVOD battery and a clearomizer, and that was good until the battery died. So then I bought an iTaste battery and have been using that for more than six months.

Anyhow, I missed the convenience of the blu PCC, so I decided to check out their website to take a look, and found the new blu Plus. So, I bought it, the whole thing, and a pack of Cherry Crush tanks. Oh wel... it should arrive on tuesday or wednesday, so until that, I will not know if they're any good. BUT... I will have to buy the tanks online because over here, there are no retailers for blu.

And now that I've been reading on this forum, I've discovered the smokeless image volt, and I don't know which one would be better... If you guys have any other recommendations for cig-a-likes, let me know... I've been vaping for two years, and since here (Puerto Rico) vaping is not that well known, I have no knowledge of cig-a-likes.

Hasta luego! (See you later.)

PS: forgive any spelling errors above, English is not my native languague.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread