Status
Not open for further replies.

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
I have some CAP blue raspberry cotton candy. I mixed it up at 15% yesterday (as a stand alone ) but it's not quite right. Any suggestions on what percentage I should use?
Thank you!
e6c144a2badb7606183651d7f2aa4221.jpg

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
Stand alone recipe recommendation calls for 12% but I (personally) feel that even thats quite high, especially for a CAP stand alone. I dont have that concentrate so all Ive got is my gut feeling on this one but Id probably have started it at around 7% and see how that went. Just a total ballpark guess. Hopefully someone else here has that flavor and can give a better suggestion.

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
Stand alone recipe recommendation calls for 12% but I (personally) feel that even thats quite high, especially for a CAP stand alone. I dont have that concentrate so all Ive got is my gut feeling on this one but Id probably have started it at around 7% and see how that went. Just a total ballpark guess. Hopefully someone else here has that flavor and can give a better suggestion.

Thanks for stopping by and offering your suggestions![emoji4]

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
Cotton candy flavoring is typically mostly (or entirely) Ethyl Maltol... I use the stuff at less than 1% personally. I haven't tried that particular brand/flavor though. I have the TFA one.

Totally agree about it being EM based, but presuming this has the blue raspberry as the primary flavor then Im guessing it should be a bit higher. Thoughts?

Reactions: ChelsB

Rin13

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2011
Ohio
www.youtube.com
Totally agree about it being EM based, but presuming this has the blue raspberry as the primary flavor then Im guessing it should be a bit higher. Thoughts?
Yeah... I don't know. With the Cotton Candy circus, I don't really detect an additional flavor specifically. All I know is too much ethyl maltol tastes disgusting to me.. It's bitter and heavily artificial.
According to ELR, that flavor has a median of 4%... Maybe start there?

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
Ive used it that way. Are you not liking it as is?

I can say that Ive been surprised at some juices that I thought were shake and vapes and how much better they were with steeping and reduced percentages.

Thanks, ur very helpful! Just finished mixing it. Will update in a few!

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
Actually had a huge victory with the "half it" method. I had made a Banana Danish that was like drinking banana concentrate. I also had a Cinnamon Danish stand alone that I made the same day and steeped for 2 weeks as well....Mixed the 2 together half and half and now I have a pretty decent banana danish!

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
Actually had a huge victory with the "half it" method. I had made a Banana Danish that was like drinking banana concentrate. I also had a Cinnamon Danish stand alone that I made the same day and steeped for 2 weeks as well....Mixed the 2 together half and half and now I have a pretty decent banana danish!

Can't wait to see if it works. Thanks for joining on my adventures in cotton candy!
Update: tasted much better but still isn't quite there yet. The halving method brought it down to 3.5%. Should I bump it up a tad? Or maybe add some sweetener?

Last edited:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
According to ELR, that flavor has a median of 4%... Maybe start there?
I checked the Blue Raspberry and I thought I saw 12% as the median. That's what lead me to believe that it might work better at around 7% (ish).
You are BOTH right:
upload_2017-2-20_19-10-42.png

And since we are talking about that site; @ChelsB do you click on the "notes" bar to expand and read the comments? It will give you a better idea of how individuals are using it and can reveal some worthwhile descriptions. One user (MintyMods is the name) has a good write-up for this CAP flavor. He/she mentions using 4% single flavor and giving it a 28 day steep before they got a good feel for it.
Is cotton candy generally known as a shake and vape?
I have always thought of it as such, but after reading the "note" I just mentioned, I am wondering.
If you insist!
No, I'm happy to make more!
I hope you mean you are simply cutting it with unflavored base and not making a complete fresh mix:). It saves on your flavorings. If it were me; I would also be doing it to only a portion. If I had a 10 to 15mL trial batch to start, and I thought I wanted to try it at a lower percentage, I might only take 5mL of the original and add 5mL of my unflavored base to it. That way, if it is no better (or worse) I have only 10mLs of "oh well" instead of 20 to 30mLs.

Also, if you don't like it right away, and if you have enough spare bottles, I wouldn't be afraid to park it for a week or more and then revisit it later to see if it has changed at all. I know you have mentioned your impatience in other threads so I understand this can be challenging!;) But it really will help you understand your concentrates better.:D
The halving method brought it down to 3.5%. Should I bump it up a tad? Or maybe add some sweetener?
Sweetener on sweetener (EM)? That wouldn't be my first thought... but I have seen (and mixed) recipes that do use both (Sweetener/sucralose and Cotton Candy/ethyl maltol) with success. If I were going to try that; I (again) would try it on only a portion. I also wouldn't do a lot of tweaking until I saw how time (steeping) was going to affect it. If I "needed" a "right now!" ballpark idea of percentage I would use the Flavoring Chart, that @Bill's Magic Vapor shared some time back, and I think I shared with you in another thread (of course this method will not tell you how the flavor changes over time). It may "seem" like too much work, but honestly, it is no more time consuming than what you are doing right now and a lot more methodical/thorough than the "lets go up some/lets go down some/lets start over" method and uses a lot less of your ingredients. Just a suggestion... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread