Status
Not open for further replies.

RedhatPat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2012
Lancaster, Pa
I got my first bottle of Boba's Bounty last week and have been vaping it non-stop ever since. The flavor is exactly the type of thing I was looking for as a new vaper. (I would be very open to any suggestions on the other flavors to try that might be in the same category)

Anyway, I like it so much that I've develped a problem with my current set up: It gums up the coil in my Kanger Protank in less than a day, eventually to the point where the protank doesn't vape well anymore.

Currently, I have my Protank on a 1300mah eGo standard eGo battery while I await some VV goodies in the mail.

While I wait for these items to show up, I've been repeatedly cleaning/burning/replacing the heads on my Protank.

Is this a Protank problem, voltage problem, Boba's Bounty problem, or all of the above?

Currently, what I am trying is firing the protank off for a few seconds before I vape....seems to be working better.

Short answer, there are no alternatives to BB because what makes BB so good is the same thing that makes it a pain in the .... on your equipment. Basically any juice that has more than 50% VG and then those ejuices that have a high sugar content (real sweet) real dark flavours and NET (naturally extracted tobacco) tobaccos. The coil will get real gunky and dirty. If using a cartomizer you will notice it choking up and gets hard to take a draw. If you use a wick type of atomizer you will actually see the coils get blackish and the taste will get sort of harsh or burned tasting.

image_zps6550a5ad.jpg

Solution for me was to revert to direct dripping and get a Reo which is a bottom juice feeding box mod. I went to the source and asked Ben himself what his tried 'n true setups were (at the time he said he used vivi novas and Reos). I also bugged the hell out of folks like Baditude, thinking maybe my problems were user error. And they all agreed, direct dripping juice to coil is probably your best bet.

Here's what Ben had to say earlier in the year..
Good post! Another option I'm working on is creating a line of similar flavors that are thinner through e-liquid magic (thinner flavors additives, possibly some PG, and distilled water) to work alongside finicky devices like the Vivi Novas and Kanger Type systems. Just to be clear though, this is something I'm just recently beginning to look into. I'll need a whole palette of flavors tested and approved before I put them online for that purpose.

EDIT: so we'd have say Boba's Bounty listed as always, but lower on the list there would be some sort of "tank approved juices" (or something to that effect) With a Boba's flavor derivative that thins the juice, as well as, making it unique and separate from the Boba's recipe (e.g. a Boba's/Sweet Tart Hybrid -- a current favorite of mine for tank use.)

When asked what to mix BB with (either to stretch out your stash or thin it) Ben said..
Too many to enumerate. For most people the recipe is "% what I like with % what I also like". I could offer up quite a few but some will like them and others won't. The best thing to do is experiment with flavors you already have a good disposition towards.

To address your protank issues. You should inhale before you press the fire button. Also inhale after you let go of the fire button. This helps it wick better. You will see bubbles float up which lets you know you're doing it right. Other Bobaholics have suggested you re-wick your heads with cotton instead of the silicia it came with. Obviously this isn't as easy as just removing the flavor wicks that sit on top of the coil but it's also not rocket science either (Phil Busardo has a video on it). So if you are deadset on Protanks and removing the flavor wicks aren't cutting it then rebuilding the heads is the next best thing you can do.

So in conclusion, if you are a bobaholic, get a VVG. Or spend a month and a lot of coin, like I did, to arrive at the same conclusion. And so I don't step on any toes, it doesn't mean I'm saying you cant enjoy BB on a provari with any slew of delivery devices. I was addressing a long-term low-maint way to be a functional bobaholic. I've been using my VVG for 6-7 months now and have since switched to other juices, primarily non-NETs but anything that can consistently handle BB can handle what's out there in my opinion.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/392249-reo-me.html#post8934592

some background info:
20+ yrs, 2-3 pack a day smoker, cowboy killers
vaping since sept 23, 2012 with a provari
became bobaholic feb 2013
first reo march 2013
vaper iq: moderate (at time of decision)
main rig for the foreseeable future: Reos /w BB and Provari /w BFC

RHP

Talyon

Vape 4 Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2013
Toronto
I've been using the protank2 with my bobas from ave, the only change I've made is to replace the flavor wicks with cotton, very simple. I do this daily, takes about 2 minutes. I always have 9-10 coils ready to swap out, 1 per day.

Don't see it being a task at all.

GL OP as any 100% VG juice well gunk up a coil fast.

I suggest trying ave 555 I really like that one to.

You've tried both? Yet here you state you've never ordered from AVE.

Every single post you've made so far has been an attempt to discredit AVE. I'd suggest backing off and reading up on the forum rules. Thank you.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-forum-rules/51178-forum-rules.html

I have not discredited AVE, just said I'd never order from them because of thier variety and lack of products. ( of my interest anyway ). And I have tried both as my friend orders from them. So what rules have I broken? For that matter what about all the attempts to discredit Alien Vapors? When all I have had was very good experiences with them, I'm just stating my opinions about both companies.

Lol, if this wasn't ECF, i would have a few choice words for you sir.

Enjoy buying products from an opportunistic thief, [moderated]. Carry on.

I was just stating my opinion of both companies. Everyone else is bashing the company that I use on a regular basis. Good experiences everytime. I agree with everyone saying boba's from AVE is the real thing, and I agree that they offer a better boba...but this shouldn't discredit the whole company. There are so many companies with similar names and also product names. Ex.( Ry4 ) thats all.

Enjoy the vape! I smoke butterscotch tobacco and I love it?!

The OP is using a Kanger Protank. The heads/coils on these are easily replaced-- just unscrew the one you're using and screw in a new one.

But they can also be cleaned (through rinsing and "dry burning") for a while before they're unusable, and the unusable ones that need to be replaced could be rebuilt rather than simply thrown away.

There are many decent YouTube videos about cleaning and dry burning Kanger BCCs such as the Evod, Protank, and Mini Protank, such as this and this. If you're interested in learning to rebuild coils for Kanger BCCs, I recommend searching YouTube for videos such as this and this.

Thank you!

Kim

Sent from my Motorola RAZR M now Free

I got my first bottle of Boba's Bounty last week and have been vaping it non-stop ever since. The flavor is exactly the type of thing I was looking for as a new vaper. (I would be very open to any suggestions on the other flavors to try that might be in the same category)

Anyway, I like it so much that I've develped a problem with my current set up: It gums up the coil in my Kanger Protank in less than a day, eventually to the point where the protank doesn't vape well anymore.

Currently, I have my Protank on a 1300mah eGo standard eGo battery while I await some VV goodies in the mail.

While I wait for these items to show up, I've been repeatedly cleaning/burning/replacing the heads on my Protank.

Is this a Protank problem, voltage problem, Boba's Bounty problem, or all of the above?

Currently, what I am trying is firing the protank off for a few seconds before I vape....seems to be working better.
try alien vision vg hype!

Fred Garvin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I have been vaping BB as my daily for 10 months. I use a ProTank with 2.5 coils and Apollo 900mah batteries regulated to 3.5. I have no issues at all with gunking or burning.

Daily - dump the last bit of thickened dark juice. With a folded pipe cleaner, clean out the inside of the tank. Wipe everything down and refill with fresh BB. Run a pipe cleaner through the tube. Reinstall Coil/base assembly and fresh battery.

Once a week I replace the coil. They're only $5 for a pack of 5.

Simple....thick clouds of satisfying BB goodness.

AngiBe

Vapeaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
Indy, IN
I heard Gorilla Juice is basically BB w/banana added..is this true? This GJ has grown on me and I'm now "bananas" for it, ok sorry for the dumb pun.

The GJ does not gunk up my tanks at all so I'm wondering if the banana thins it out a little. I got it in a PIF swap and the bottle does have Alien Visions on it so I hope/assume its from AVE. I want to order more so just checking info to be sure...thx

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Face down in the gutter, USA
Where do you get just the wicks at? Everything I have seen for the evod is a coil head not just spare wicks

Make um out of 100% cotton sterile/boiled organic cotton balls, use peaches and cream yarn or butchers twine, or use bulk silica of various sizes.

You can also try removing one or both of the flavor wicks on the protank coils for thicker juices. Boba's is my favorite too but I don't use it in my protanks. If you like banana, try the AVE Gorilla Juice. It's basically Boba's with banana and I find it nice to swap back in forth with Boba's.

Can you do this to the coil of an EVOD tank as well? I'm vaping my Boba's in an EVOD tank, 1.8 ohm and an 1100mah EVOD battery (constant 3.7 volts) and I keep getting a burnt/chemical taste after just a few drags. The first few drags taste amazing and then the bad taste sets in. If I take the top wick out, will this taste go away or should I try to get higher resistance atomizers like a 2.0ohm or 2.2ohm? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I'm new to vaping so if this question as already been asked I apologize.

VaperGlock

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2013
KCMO
I'm a little late to this post but I use 2 coils I use in my Protank with Bobas. One in the tank and the other I'm either dry burning (carefully) or recoiling. I just pull all the cotton out of it. Dry burn with 3-5 sec bursts until it's glowing good. Then rewick and set it aside until the other coil goes south. Repeat. Usually every other day I'm switching out the coil heads.

For cotton wicks in my Protanks I use Peaches & Cream 100% cotton yarn from Wally World. Buy a gallon of distilled water with it and boil it in 1/2 the gallon for about 15 min then ring and rinse with the other 1/2 gallon. Let dry then roll it up. It'll prob be a tangled mess but it's worth the trouble. You'll have wicks for a long time!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread