1. Win Vaping gear! The ECF 15 Millionth Post contest

We are fast approaching the 15 millionth ECF post and we have a contest to celebrate this huge landmark and amazing prizes to give out to our members! Head over to the official contest thread to see the rules and check out the prizes generously pledged by our registered suppliers on the prize announcement thread.

Books, books and more books!

Discussion in 'The Women's Room' started by Gogga, Aug 26, 2013.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Gogga

Gogga Full Member

Being a new mom I spend a lot of time feeding my little peanut. To past the time I read a lot. Any good book suggestions?

2. Equus5O

Equus5O Senior Member ECF Veteran

I've always been an avid reader. But now, I can't tell you the last time I actually held a book! Most of the new stuff I've "read" are actually audio books for my one hour plus commute. I'm also a Kindle-holic. I subscribe to a few free e-book sites on FaceBook.

3. Catmom

Catmom Vaping Master ECF Veteran

I mostly read free e-books too. I don't think I've read a "real" book since I got my Nook. The books I read are mostly "the kind that drug stores sell" which is fine since I read them to make myself sleepy. Now try to get that song out of your head! :D And if you don't know the song, well I'm just gonna post it in the Music Anyone? thread! :p

4. CES

CES optimistic cynic Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I like books and reading- library books, e-books. I mostly read mystery and science fiction. Maisie Dobbs is the protagonist of an interesting series that i read recently. The first book is called Maisie Dobbs.

5. moondragon

moondragon Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I used to read a lot more than I have the past few years - I spend a lot of the time I used to be reading being online instead! However, lately I have been re-reading some of my James Michener books. A month or so ago I watched the (old) movie "Caravans" which was an adaptation of one of his books. About halfway through the movie I had to go and get the book out, because I was not remembering the story presented in the movie as being the same (or as good as) the book. I ended up rereading the entire book. I'm now reading his book "Spain" which isn't a fiction story, but I love his descriptions and observations about his travels there, along with the history about the areas. I don't know that I will ever be able to travel there myself, so I'm traveling vicariously.

6. Catmom

Catmom Vaping Master ECF Veteran

I love James Michener. It's been many, many years since I read any of his books though. I don't own anyway, the ones I read were from the library. I particularly enjoyed Centennial and Hawaii.

And I also spend a lot of the time I used to spend reading online!

7. moondragon

Supporting member
    I can't remember if I read Hawaii or not. I'm going to need to look for that at the library. Also, I need to correct the title for the one I'm reading now - it is "Iberia", not "Spain".

We're supposed to be having a hot spell over this coming weekend, so I should probably turn my laptop off and sit out in the yard (in the shade) and just read.

8. PatriciafromCO

PatriciafromCO Ultra Member ECF Veteran

love love my kindle,, :).. am hooked on the "Hunger Games Trilogy" Read through so fast the first time to just find out what was the end and since then has re read 2 more times to pick up all the details.. don't think I will tire of reading it . Eternity Road by Jack McDivitt is a favorite. My husband got me stuck on the Pelbar Cycle Books by Paul O Williams ... :)

9. Equus5O

Equus5O Senior Member ECF Veteran

I listened to The Hunger Games, all three.

10. PatriciafromCO

I have a 4th generation Kindle DX that has the voice to text on it.. so now Audible and Amazon are paired together where I can buy the e book then get the audible added... "decided to give it a try .. pretty cool you can read as they talk and it even turns the pages for you..

How cool is that for like kids..... :)

The Restorer (The Graveyard Queen) interesting story line for the character,, she grew up helping her Dad who was a graveyard restorer,, and since she was real little she could see ghost, and her father could to and when he realized his young daughter could see them too. He gave her some rules to follow to protect herself.... No spoilers here... it was keeping my attention until I fell asleep .. so will have to go back.. as it was still interesting when I woke up hearing what was going on... :)

11. Kristin0624

Kristin0624 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

What genre do you prefer? :)

12. CES

Supporting member

cool!

this is why i love e-books. People recommend things and i forget by the time i get to the library. But i just looked up and borrowed the Restorer from my library :D

13. CES

Supporting member

I like mystery, science fiction, and fantasy (especially urban fantasy lately....but i'll read almost any fiction

I read Mitchner's books years ago and liked them - his descriptions are great

What do you like to read?

14. PatriciafromCO

sci-fi of all areas,, especially love paranormal and historical type events :)

15. PatriciafromCO

cool Book club group...

16. Kristin0624

Kristin0624 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I read pretty much everything except for the really sappy romances. My favorites are usually true crime, crime fiction, or memoirs. Right now, I'm reading: "The Damned Summer" by Scott Weaver. Book One of The Ruin Trilogy

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 2

17. CES

Supporting member
    that looks interesting too :)

18. baseballmom

baseballmom Ultra Member ECF Veteran

I love to read too, mostly dystopian genre, crime both fiction and non-fiction. also some ya because I read the books before pass off to my 13 yo to make sure I find appropriate(he reads a lot of sports stuff-fiction and non), and I actually enjoy many of his books. my kids are always snitching my kindle fire to play games, and toddler cracked the screen but still works) so I rarely have time to use that and have been reading non digital books

19. CES

Supporting member
    I like real books too, BBmom. And young adult fiction can be pretty good (and i have to admit that i read it sometimes since i don't have teenagers to give me an excuse ;) )

20. moondragon

Supporting member
    I like historical, mysteries (but not with lots of blood and gore descriptions), a little sci-fi, some fantasy... One really good series which both myself and my DH really liked was the "Dragonriders of Pern" series by Anne McCaffrey. Very entertaining. It's been quite awhile since we read those - I may need to put them on the list to re-read.