• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Books, books and more books!

Status
Not open for further replies.

moondragon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
I have a 4th generation Kindle DX that has the voice to text on it.. so now Audible and Amazon are paired together where I can buy the e book then get the audible added... "decided to give it a try .. pretty cool you can read as they talk and it even turns the pages for you..

How cool is that for like kids..... :)

I had not heard of that version of the Kindle, before, but I'm not really up on Kindle's at all. We don't have one, but my daughter has thought one would be good for my DH so that he could read in bed without his reading glasses on.

PatriciafromCO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 26, 2009
Colorado
I had not heard of that version of the Kindle, before, but I'm not really up on Kindle's at all. We don't have one, but my daughter has thought one would be good for my DH so that he could read in bed without his reading glasses on.

I purchased mine in 2010,, 3G with the keyboard with a book cover and it has been worth the money for being trouble free. chose it because of the 9.7 inch display ( I was mistaken about the immersion audio and text from audible books on the DX...) you can down load audible books to the DX to listen to as individuals but not use them together at the same time. also mp3's and Pdf can be sent to the DX... The DX does come with text to speech to read the e books and change their pages automatically and it's not a bad computer generated voice to listen to.

The DX needs an added light to read in the dark... is the only thing I would change.
DH love his new paper white it has an internal light to read in the dark he likes the touch screen.. and likes the smaller lighter size over my DX

baseballmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2013
SE PA
sincemylastcigarette.com
Even if I didn't have a teen-I'd have read hg trilogy, uglies series, divergent series, unwind series(good grief that is the creepiest series ever and I am so awaiting the next book unsouled-my son does NOT have interest in this!)-but he got me reading some carl deuker, Friday night lights, and he introduced me to the giver series(not sports related for once ha ha-school requirement) Some YA is really good, and some is pretty ugghh....before I die is one of most heart wrenching YA books EVER, for older teens so he's not reading yet. I was disappointed by 13 reasons why-so i'd say Neil shusterman's unwind series and before I die are my fave and most moving YA books

Fudgey

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2010
Oklahoma
I like almost all mystery type books, I am going to start re-reading the Alex Delaware series by Jonathan Kellerman. I like Janet Evanovich's books, the Stephanie Plum series is pretty darn funny.....if you can get past the repeating info about her family.

I'm also a big Stephen King fan!

PatriciafromCO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 26, 2009
Colorado
Stephen King(s) Dark Tower Series was really good,, very time travel, mystical fantasy, with rich characters and story line.. unfortunately it hit a weird too far out there section (typical SK) and I lost my momentum getting through the series.. I would like to start again on it. Maybe even read the prequal he has out now on the main Character..

Chapter 7 on the restorer holding my attention with the story line of events... wish reading didn't make me fall asleep lol lol lol ...

Last edited:

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
The Jack Reacher series is really good.

The Dark Tower series did lose me partway through. The last book was worth it though. I really liked the ending, and i almost never like the way Stephen King ends his books. 11/22/63 was very good also.

If anyone reads the Bill Pronzini, Nameless Detective series, there's a new one out

(I ended up reading all 3 of the books in the Restorer series over the weekend. Thanks for the tip Patricia)

baseballmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2013
SE PA
sincemylastcigarette.com
unwind-unwholly-unsouled and I think I heard the fourth is going to be named unbroken-i'm not 100% sure-and there is a mini kindle version book about levi's adventures with the people of chance and why he became a clapper I think-I didn't download it. Definitely a book that makes you think and fearful of future possibilities. I heard there's a new ya dystopian series out about a girl who tests into some group-haven't read that one and forget the name off hand.

Equus5O

ECF Veteran
A few more names came to me; John Sandford, Harlan Coben, James Patterson.

And for the e-reader, I only download free books. If I had to pay for them, forget it! I'd be broke in a minute. Every day, on Facebook, I get several selections of free e-books. Some of them downright suck and I can't get past the first page. But hey, it didn't cost me a cent so who really cares. The notifications can also be received via email, rather than Facebook.

Ereadernewstoday.com

Pixelofink.com

Bookbasset.com

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
@CES are all the (Graveyard Queen) books related or separate stories? Am liking all the details in the "Restorer" chapter 25, am sure I'll come close to finishing it tonight.. It's flooded and still pouring hard.. nothing better then a good book listening to the rain...

it's a series- same main character. we learn more about her as she learns about herself, and what she can and shouldn't do. I hope that it's an ongoing series.

Hope the rain stops soon (it's ok to sit and read on sunny days too) Colorado is getting hammered- i hope your road holds up.

PatriciafromCO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 26, 2009
Colorado
Patricia, I hope your flooding isn't as bad as what I saw on the news last night in Boulder! Nothing like Mother Nature to remind us we're mere mortals!

Thanks everyone main property and the animals are on higher ground.. It's open range pasture for miles so the water sheds off to the east. The dry-wash on each side of my main property takes on the water from the mountain west of us that usually takes a beating as it flows "over" my road.. sigh "fixable" but we always safe from the water.. :) Was in the city getting supplies during a down pour and it was within minutes the roads and sections on the interstate were flooding and rushing water.. "crazy scary how high and fast the water got.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread