• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Books, books and more books!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
Try Overdrive. It's made by adobe. It's the one i usually use for library books, and i think you can set it to do a search in your local library if they have e-books. .

I also have Kobo, but haven't used it for a long time. Google also has a book app (google play). I dunno if iBooks is available for anything other than iPhones/iPads.

(all the apps i listed are free, and have access to some free e-books)

Last edited:

celticluvr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Sep 21, 2013
    'bama
    Hiya, I don't know if y'all like her but Nora Roberts is my favorite author... I even read her pseudonym J.D. Robb... Great stuff.

I read thousands of books a year and reread them. I had a pretty rough time in school with bullies and the school wouldn't do any thing but make it worse... So I introverted into the one thing that really helped, being a book worm. My mama taught me to read when I was four years old and I haven't put down a book/e-book since. The first time I got in trouble in school was in pre-k when I hit a boy over the head with a book because he took it from me. :facepalm::laugh: I own over 500 paper and hard backs and over 3000 ebooks. I am getting a kindle fire hd for Christmas, I am so excited! my fiance accidentally squashed my regular kindle early this year and I am having severe book withdrawal!;)

Catmom

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 25, 2011
    Blue Ridge Heaven
    I know I've read Nora Roberts, can't think of a specific title. But then, I can't remember the name of the book I'm reading on my Nook, LOL. Sorry you got into reading for all the wrong reasons, but I actually feel bad for anyone who doesn't enjoy reading. They're missing out on one of life's greatest pleasures, IMO. Let us know how you like the Kindle Fire HD. I'm considering that as my next ereader. My Nookcolor is about 2-1/2 years old. I don't know what the average life span is for ereaders, but I imagine I'll have to replace it eventually, and the kindle fire hd is at the top of my list.

CES

optimistic cynic
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2010
    Birmingham, Al
    Hi in here too Celtic :)

I like the J.D Robb books, but haven't ready many Nora Roberts books.

Sorry about the circumstances that pushed you to read, but glad you found it. I love to read too, but don't own many books. I get most of my books from the library, including ebooks. I LOVE ebooks, and not having to get up off the couch to get the next book. :laugh:

We have a chat thread in here too http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/womens-room/293564-no-topic-just-ladies-chat.html

celticluvr

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Sep 21, 2013
    'bama
    I know I've read Nora Roberts, can't think of a specific title. But then, I can't remember the name of the book I'm reading on my Nook, LOL. Sorry you got into reading for all the wrong reasons, but I actually feel bad for anyone who doesn't enjoy reading. They're missing out on one of life's greatest pleasures, IMO. Let us know how you like the Kindle Fire HD. I'm considering that as my next ereader. My Nookcolor is about 2-1/2 years old. I don't know what the average life span is for ereaders, but I imagine I'll have to replace it eventually, and the kindle fire hd is at the top of my list.

I completely agree. Reading can be used as an escape from reality if only for a short time. At least, that's how I see it. I can picture a story in my head as if I were watching a movie... Does that sound weird? I hope not:blink:, I think it sounds perfectly normal.:laugh:

I can't wait for my Kindle... It's like waiting for vapemail. :p

CES

optimistic cynic
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2010
    Birmingham, Al
    I completely agree. Reading can be used as an escape from reality if only for a short time. At least, that's how I see it. I can picture a story in my head as if I were watching a movie... Does that sound weird? I hope not:blink:, I think it sounds perfectly normal.:laugh:

that's exactly what i do. It's more like watching or being there than reading words.

Catmom

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 25, 2011
    Blue Ridge Heaven
    I picture stories in my head too. Not weird at all. I always have a mental picture of what the characters look like, the places I'm reading about, etc.

I can get really engrossed in the story line when I'm reading a book. With a really good book I'll think about it when I'm not reading it and be anxious to get back to it!

PatriciafromCO

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 26, 2009
    Colorado
    Got my new Kindle Paperwhite 6" 3G next generation ,, love that I can turn off the lights and read, it's one step up from reading on your phone for the 6" screen just perfect from too small and too big to be pocket size, plus you can dim the back light to what feels easy on your eyes so your not blinding yourself in the dark ... lots of ways to organize your books and how the kindle looks.. My only thing is it feels heavy in hand .. I don't remember my DH's paperwhite which is a before model feeling this heavy .. that would be the only Con, everything else is just awesome... The book cover for it is really nice just fits right into the cover and I love the touch screen as the DX had the buttons to press..

am reading Enders Game Loved the movie so wanted to read the details the movie didn't have enough time to include..

CES

optimistic cynic
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2010
    Birmingham, Al
    There is a whole series, but even though i like almost everything that Orson Scott Card wrote, IMO the first two were the best: Ender's game and Speaker for the dead.

I just finished the second book in the 'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children' series (Ransom Riggs). It's clear that there will indeed need to be at least a 3rd book.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread