• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Books, books and more books!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PixieSkull

Aug 4, 2014
North Dakota, USA
Gimme cheesy paranormal romance (JR Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood series currently) for insomniac nights. Not too much to think through and the characters are entertaining.

Otherwise, I love reading Anthony Bourdain's books. His voice just comes through in his writing and he writes extremely well. If you like watching him, read Kitchen Confidential.

PixieSkull

Aug 4, 2014
North Dakota, USA
I like almost all mystery type books, I am going to start re-reading the Alex Delaware series by Jonathan Kellerman. I like Janet Evanovich's books, the Stephanie Plum series is pretty darn funny.....if you can get past the repeating info about her family.

I'm also a big Stephen King fan!

Kellerman's great for either his fiction or serial killer non-fiction. I'm a psychology nerd, so true crime's always been an interest.

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
I like books by both Jonathon and Faye Kellerman :)

I just recently caught up on the Anna Pigeon series by Nevada Barr. I hadn't realized that I'd missed several over the past few years.

Charlaine Harris (author of the sookie stackhouse books-which are much better than the TV series, and the aurora teagarden mysteries) just started a new series. The first book in that series is called "midnight crossroads"

PixieSkull

Aug 4, 2014
North Dakota, USA
I really like Harris' writing style, but I'm a bit on the fence on continuing the "True Blood" series. I have the bad affliction of comparing authors and their works and constantly prioritizing the books I'm going to read. Lots of shuffling and re-organizing. But, when I start a series, I feel compelled to finish and then my brain's at odds with itself. :unsure:

I know which book I'm starting next, before continuing with Cassandra Clare's (hopefully not as excrutiatingly-cringeworthy) second book... "She's Come Undone" by Wally Lamb. I was ripping it apart for an altered book project while reading some pages and regretted it. Now to find an inexpensive paperback.

daleron

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Apr 16, 2013
    Arkansas, USA
    I read at lot but I read in spurts. Sometimes a lot and sometimes nothing. I like several author besides Stephan King. There's the Kellermans,James Patterson,John Grisham,Michael Connelly, Sandra Brown,Janet Evanovich etc etc.

Nice! I've read books by all of the one's you mentioned :)
    My favorite type book of all is medical thrillers tho', not a whole lot available anymore that I haven't already read tho' :(

Racehorse

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 12, 2012
    USA midwest
    I am on a book swap, I highly recommend. :) I read a lot and this allows me to recycle and get different books I want. I tested out several clubs and stuck w/this one now for 4 years:

works on a credit system, you mail out a book, you get a credit, you can use for any book you want. In the bazaar, you can also bundle books and have 2 for 1 sales, like that. Sister site has DVDs and CDs.

Enjoy~ Let me know if you need an "invite". You can get free credits that way.

I admit to being a literature "snob" though, :laugh: so my friends give me all their mass market paperbacks, and I trade them for pulitizer prize winners and classic literature and poetry, and also recipe books, but that's the fun of a swap.

What is touching is that I've received books that belonged to somebody's family member who cherished certain books and then passed away, it's such a pleasure to own and read books that meant a lot to another person! Reading all of Annie Dillard right now...she is very thoughtful.

Traded for a book on marathon running I gave to a friend for christmas, too. :)

Last edited:

CES

optimistic cynic
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2010
    Birmingham, Al
    A book swap sounds fun. Except that i rarely buy books so i don't have many to swap. I'm really lucky, because we have an excellent library system here

I was in bookswim for awhile, was supposed to be a netflx type of thing for books. But unlike netflix, it took a week or so for the next book to come after you mailed one back. :facepalm:

Racehorse

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 12, 2012
    USA midwest
    A book swap sounds fun. Except that i rarely buy books so i don't have many to swap. I'm really lucky, because we have an excellent library system here
    We have a tiny tiny library and there is mostly just things that people donate, I don't think I've ever been in such a small library before. So I have to look outside.

Oh, and I just finished The Greater Journey: Americans in Paris by David McCullough. It was fabulous!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1416571779

I'm "attempting" Gödel, Escher, Bach, but it is very difficult reading, and takes a lot of time, "entertaining meditation on human thought and creativity.....points of contact between the music of Bach, the artwork of Escher, and the mathematics of Gödel. " Not sure I can get thru it, we'll see.

http://www.amazon.com/Gödel-Escher-...=1419772848&sr=1-1&keywords=godel+escher+bach

THIS one is getting a lot of great reviews, might try it next: almost 7,000 mostly positive reviews
    The Boys in the Boat:
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Boys-Boat-Americans-Olympics/dp/0143125478/ref=zg_bs_books_20

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread