• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Books, books and more books!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Biographies, autobiographies, romance and true crime are my favorite reads.

I'm stuck on Nora Roberts lately. Love her trilogies.

It's not the deep reading that you all do but I like it :)

People like what they like. Everyone has different "reasons" for reading. Relaxation, Escape, Information, Letting imagination go to places where they need to spend more time, for vocabulary, for foolish pleasures, for insight into subject matter that interests them......it's a long list. All of that is "deep" isn't it? :)

My best friend is a radiologist and she only reads dime store novels. :) I understand that. Left brained people need to spend more time in right brain, and vice versa.

My Stroke of Insight was a fascinating book. True story about a woman (Jill Bolte Taylor) who is a BRAIN SCIENTIST, and had a stroke on one side, the side where her brain and career spent all it's time........she lost her ability to speak, etc. ......she later came to realize that she never would have rehabbed from her stroke if she had not been FORCED to use the other side of her brain.

So NOT having her brain work on one side, the side she depended on the most, turned out to be her salvation. It was the side she didn't use much, but which was the only side left standing at the time of her stroke, that led to her healing.

My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey: Jill Bolte Taylor Ph.D.: 9780452295544: Amazon.com: Books

I also did not know that as an organ donor, they don't take your brain. She enlightened me about donating my brain (tissue) to the brain bank, it is actually very much needed for research to help research projects that may one day cure those with brain disorders.

Last edited:

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
Deep reading? For me, not so much....science fiction, fantasy and mystery. I like escapism ;). I like the series that Nora Roberts writes as JD Robb -futuristic female detective/cop fiction

About to start reading a mystery by JA Jance.

It is amazing, how capable the brain is of rewiring when it has to. Look up constraint induced movement therapy as a rehab for stroke. (we pretty much use both sides of our brains all the time, even if some processes occur more on one side than the other)

Last edited:

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Deep reading? For me, not so much....science fiction, fantasy and mystery. I like escapism ;). I like the series that Nora Roberts writes as JD Robb -futuristic female detective/cop fiction

It is amazing, how capable the brain is of rewiring when it has to. Look up constraint induced movement therapy as a rehab for stroke. (we pretty much use both sides of our brains all the time, even if some processes occur more on one side than the other)

Eve and Roarke.... In Death series. I have them all :D

celticluvr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Sep 21, 2013
    'bama
    Biographies, autobiographies, romance and true crime are my favorite reads.

I'm stuck on Nora Roberts lately. Love her trilogies.

It's not the deep reading that you all do but I like it :)

Eve and Roarke.... In Death series. I have them all :D
    I Have literally every single Nora Roberts and J.D. Robb novel in existence!!! My most favorite author ever! I am currently reading some of her older books that I haven't read yet.... For a while it was more of "I have to have ALL her books!!!" but now I can enjoy them. I'm in book hog heaven. :oops:

Last edited:

cybercat

ECF Veteran
    Dec 22, 2014
    Greeneville, Tn ,USA
    My problem with reading is i do not get rid of the books i have read. When I do it is lots to the library. LOL Right now I have 3 tall book cases 2 med sized ones over full. Thank goodness for kindle on the computer and phone. I read most sci fi for fun. But I have so many thing I am interested in, from gardening to all my animals plus all my crafts. OK I just read alot. One series I will never get rid of is the Wizard of OZ set my dad bougth me when I was 4 years old. My sci fis are mostly paperback but I have a few hard backs.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 7, 2012
    Treasure Coast, Florida
    My problem with reading is i do not get rid of the books i have read. When I do it is lots to the library. LOL Right now I have 3 tall book cases 2 med sized ones over full. Thank goodness for kindle on the computer and phone. I read most sci fi for fun. But I have so many thing I am interested in, from gardening to all my animals plus all my crafts. OK I just read alot. One series I will never get rid of is the Wizard of OZ set my dad bougth me when I was 4 years old. My sci fis are mostly paperback but I have a few hard backs.

Ohmygosh! I wouldn't get rid of the Wizard of Oz set either!! I didn't know it was a set of books! How cool is that?!?!?!

celticluvr

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Sep 21, 2013
    'bama

My problem is I refuse to get rid of my books! I have over 500 paper/hardback books and roughly 3-4000 e-books. I need help....:facepalm:

not really! :laugh:

I wish! (though i hope that doesn't mean that we'd have to be Eve...cause that ain't never gonna happen :lol: )

Cyber, a full set of the Wizard of Oz from childhood? Wow. that's really neat.

Good to see you, Celticluvr!

You too! :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread