Status
Not open for further replies.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Thanks for clarifying. So, what happens when you push 20A through a 10A CDR batt, then?
Well, for starters, it generates a lot of heat. This could be your first indication that something is wrong. If the battery continues to drain at that same rate then the heat will build up to a potential failure, but this will take many times longer than the almost instant failure arising from a dead short, which pulls literally hundreds of amps with its near-zero resistance (3.7v / 0.01Ω = 370A, for example).

7sixtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
the hinterlands
Well, for starters, it generates a lot of heat. This could be your first indication that something is wrong. If the battery continues to drain at that same rate then the heat will build up to a potential failure, but this will take many times longer than the almost instant failure arising from a dead short, which pulls literally hundreds of amps with its near-zero resistance (3.7v / 0.01Ω = 370A, for example).

Gotcha. So, I wasn't wrong. Some imbeciles will indeed ignore that excess heat to the point at which the battery will fail, and vent.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Sorry, Baditude.

I have to completely disagree with this.

There's a marked degree higher risk with a hobby level RC.

In 2012, for example, there was an incident where a world renowned competition 3D flyer took the top of his head off when he lost control of his heli for a couple milliseconds killing him instantly.

And there are hobby aircraft that break the sound barrier.

And hobby cars are nearing the 200mph mark.

At these speeds and with limited range, either by controller or sight limitations, the vessel and its battery is never more than a couple seconds from impact of the person controlling it or an innocent bystander.

And the controller in your hand will likely have several cells in it, more often the more unstable lipo.

Tapatyped

Electric power aircraft Hovering under tremendous load - tail touch:

giant-scale-3D.jpg

Mine is about that size, well 1, 1 is larger.........but I currently do not fly.

7sixtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
the hinterlands
That was a "statement", not a "suggestion".

Don't play games. You know very well I was referring to this, (which you said was a "suggestion"):

vape shops could require a mandatory course on mod building and coil safety before first sale. Kind of like they do when you go to a firing range for the first time.

...as well as your support of the onerous Deeming Regulations regarding e-liquid.

Reactions: gofishtx

k2zs

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2014
Rochester, NY
I live in the next town over. I've heard from the local shops that he had a .17 22ga build on a no name clone mech with a no name clone RDA and a no name clone battery. Of coarse it's gonna blow up!!! Mech mods are perfectly safe in the hands of anybody with the least bit of intelligence! Been vaping for 2 1/2 years now and 95% of the time it's been on a mechanical. Never vented a single battery and still have all my digits. I get really upset when I hear people blame this crap on the device and not the idiot behind it!!!

And yes, he was just 17, maybe child protective services should be talking with the parents. In all of the news stories aired here, not a one of them said anything about him being an under aged user. His mother sat right there in the interview and acted like it was all natural for her son to be vaping...

Sorry for the rant but common people, show some intelligence....

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I live in the next town over. I've heard from the local shops that he had a .17 22ga build on a no name clone mech with a no name clone RDA and a no name clone battery. Of coarse it's gonna blow up!!! Mech mods are perfectly safe in the hands of anybody with the least bit of intelligence! Been vaping for 2 1/2 years now and 95% of the time it's been on a mechanical. Never vented a single battery and still have all my digits. I get really upset when I hear people blame this crap on the device and not the idiot behind it!!!

And yes, he was just 17, maybe child protective services should be talking with the parents. In all of the news stories aired here, not a one of them said anything about him being an under aged user. His mother sat right there in the interview and acted like it was all natural for her son to be vaping...

Sorry for the rant but common people, show some intelligence....

Well that explains it...............Clones:facepalm:

Maybe a To low build on a Re-wrap battery of a damaged Battery?

I have dozens of Clone Mods and RDA's and several Clone RTA's The Hardware does not cause the Explosion - The conditions do.:glare:

* Something important to take away from this is - THE BOTTOM of the BATTERY Violently Exploded Blowing the switch out of the Mod.
The Top was still intact(well, mostly)
This would indicate a poor switch connection to the battery with an already low load.(hot switch)

Also the Build is NOT visible and could have become Shorted.

Reactions: beckdg

k2zs

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2014
Rochester, NY
Well that explains it...............Clones:facepalm:

Maybe a To low build on a Re-wrap battery of a damaged Battery?

I have dozens of Clone Mods and RDA's and several Clone RTA's The Hardware does not cause the Explosion - The conditions do.:glare:

* Something important to take away from this is - THE BOTTOM of the BATTERY Violently Exploded Blowing the switch out of the Mod.
The Top was still intact(well, mostly)
This would indicate a poor switch connection to the battery with an already low load.(hot switch)

Also the Build is NOT visible and could have become Shorted.
It's not just a clone though Dag Nabbit!!! It's .17 ohms! Why??? Physics Man! .17 Ohms!

People don't get it! That is just barely above a DEAD SHORT on a 20 amp (in the best case scenario) battery! As long as there are fools willing to temp fate like that, there's gonna be news stories... :facepalm:

Last edited:

TruSound

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2011
Granada Hills, Ca
The problem is- most outside of vaping will read this as "another youth suffers from lack of regulation"

We'll never stop kids from being kids, and can't expect them to research like we all do. I think we need to focus on what can be done aside from blaming the user. Not sure what the answer is, but blaming a 17yr old for using something that he didn't think through doesn't seem like the answer.

This has nothing to do with research, it's about a mother letting her 17 year old vape...why didn't the news reporter ask his mom what he was doing with an ecig in the first place. It's bad parenting...period.

Just Want To Quit

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2015
San Fernando Valley, So-Cal
And this kid paid how much for that mech online? Surely that is a mistake right? Either way, I'll be staying away from mechs. Not because of this article though, but because I'm happy with my safe regulated mods.

Maybe one of these blue moons I'll have some time to read up about ohms law if this hobby aspect ever kicks in for me but right now I'm just happy being off the stinkies to be honest! :thumbs:

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
It's not just clone though Dag Nabbit!!! It's .17 ohms! Why??? Physics Man! .17 Ohms!

People don't get it! That is just barely above a DEAD SHORT on a 20 amp (in the best case scenario) battery! As long as there are fools willing to temp fate like that, there's gonna be news stories... :facepalm:

Then add they were probably using an over ratted battery, like a "Fire" something or other.
After the last thread on this turned into a cluster f:censored:I'm not going to delve deep into this one, just the one post.
Around here, you need to be 18 to buy anything ecig related. I agree, call CPS, mom is obviously and idiot as well, the kid had no business using one to start with.
I also agree, no name clone, no name battery, possibly an unknown build, there are a :censored: ton of things that went wrong. He wanted to be like the "cool kids" and blow clouds like his buddies. It's not my fault he wasn't smart enough to do some SIMPLE research, he was too busy being cool.
As for mechs, if you can't operate one safely, I can't honestly say you are able to vape safely anymore. It's not rocket science and I'm seeing more and more people using regulated mods, with multiple batteries, that don't have enough sense to keep matched sets ("married") batteries in it. That's just as, if not more, dangerous than a mech! Figure each battery is the equivalent of 1/4 stick of dynamite in the WRONG conditions, put two or three of them in a confined space and things go wrong, let me know how that goes for you!
Nothing about this is "safe and secure", wrap your heads around that! We ALL have to know and understand certain things to vape safely. No mod, mech or regulated is any safer than the amount of grey matter between your ears you are willing to apply to it! I've used them for years, never had a single problem, no venting, no bulging, no blow ups. Is that because I'm so safe with them? Nope, I'm one of the worst with batteries you will ever meet! I leave batteries on chargers for day, I charge batteries over night, I don't store batteries in plastic boxes, I'm bad, I know it. BUT, I don't push things to the limit, I double and triple check my mods and builds.
So once again, we have an under age "KID" using a product he shouldn't be legally able to obtain, that didn't do the research to use it safely and had a problem with it. I've no idea how that could go wrong. (Lots of sarcasm)
Have fun with this fight, I'm out of this one.

Big Me

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2014
England
This has nothing to do with research, it's about a mother letting her 17 year old vape...why didn't the news reporter ask his mom what he was doing with an ecig in the first place. It's bad parenting...period.
I read in the article that she allowed him to vape in an effort to get him away from using chewing tobacco.

Did you miss that bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread