BOOM WIRE?? anybody heard of it/have experience with it?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cr0tchF4i

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
San Diego, CA
Im pretty sure its the shop that mc vapes workes at called vapure. Ive seen that guy in a video with mc vapes they are definitely part of the san diego vape group. From what ive seen and heard that when its cloud blowing time they use 100% vg juice no flavor and zero nic. They are just playing around with their devices. But definitely check out vapure

I go to Vapure pretty often and about 99% sure they do not have "boom" wire or anything out of the ordinary. They have regular Kanthal, do not sell in rolls and it's pricey. Juice is good though.

Jawden

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2013
Hilo, HI
I go to Vapure pretty often and about 99% sure they do not have "boom" wire or anything out of the ordinary. They have regular Kanthal, do not sell in rolls and it's pricey. Juice is good though.

Yeah, I guess a b&m shop in SD is the only one that carries them. Not sure if it's available for purchase in bulk, or if he somehow alters regular kanthal or ribbon wire...idk. Just curiosity fueling my search I guess.

Jawden

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2013
Hilo, HI
Not bad at all, I just forgot thats a touchy subject for some folks, but then everything can be a touchy subject these days.

Yeah I agree. I, too, sometimes forget that fact. And I guess because I don't take things personal and I'm always laughing, I tend to forget that others might not take things the way I do. I've been called ignorant for it, I turn around and laugh. Hahaha.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

aycho

Apr 24, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Pretty much Boom wire is 24g custom wire that glows hotter faster and gives lower resistance readings. I've wrapped with the 26g Beastmode wire and compared it to 26g kanthal, and from what I saw, a 5/6 dual microcoil on kanthal gives around a .4 to .5 ohm reading and the 5/6 Hotwires gives around a .3 to .4 and it heats up instantly whereas the kanthal slowly glows hot. That's the main difference between the two.

Jawden

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2013
Hilo, HI
Funny, lots of talk about boom wire, but no pics, is this for real?

That's kinda why I started this thread, I see videos of people supposedly using the wire but no build videos or anything. So I was curious as to what it looks like, specs of the wire itself...just basically a "what is it?!" thread. Hahahaha. I'm trying to get ahold of my friend who lives in SD to go check it out, maybe send me a sample. But no luck yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
edit. natedawg beat me to it.

ta2dave: bakero wire was exposed as being nothing more than ribbon kanthal.

Pretty much Boom wire is 24g custom wire that glows hotter faster and gives lower resistance readings. I've wrapped with the 26g Beastmode wire and compared it to 26g kanthal, and from what I saw, a 5/6 dual microcoil on kanthal gives around a .4 to .5 ohm reading and the 5/6 Hotwires gives around a .3 to .4 and it heats up instantly whereas the kanthal slowly glows hot. That's the main difference between the two.

maybe boom wire is nichrome. sounds like it from that description. and nichrome aint $1/foot LOL its about $7 for 100'

Jawden

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2013
Hilo, HI
sounds like its 24ga nichrome or alkrothal

alkrothal? :blink:

edit. natedawg beat me to it.

ta2dave: bakero wire was exposed as being nothing more than ribbon kanthal.

maybe boom wire is nichrome. sounds like it from that description. and nichrome aint $1/foot LOL its about $7 for 100'

i've seen people asking if nichrome is safe. whats up with that? why does it seem like majority of vapers use kanthal and not nichrome?

Nibiru2012

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
The Oort Cloud
alkrothal? :blink i've seen people asking if nichrome is safe. whats up with that? why does it seem like majority of vapers use kanthal and not nichrome?

From the TEMCo Industrial Power Suppy website:

What is Resistance Wire?

Resistance wire is a high-resistance electrical wire that is often found in industrial applications including electrical ovens, toasters, and heating elements. The two major types of resistance wire are Kanthal and Nichrome wire.

Kanthal is a ferritic iron-chromium-aluminum alloy that can be in high temperature applications. It is often used in large, industrial applications and chosen for its high resistivity and excellent oxidation resistance.

Nichrome is made from nickel-chromium alloys is generally only used in temperatures below 1250°C. Nichrome has a slightly lower maximum operating temperature than Kanthal and operates best applications such as hair dryers, toasters, and kilns.

Specifications:

Corrosion, Rusting, and Oxidation

Resistance wire does not easily rust or oxidize, even in extreme environments. Kanthal is often chosen for its excellent oxidation resistance. It can be exposed to sulfuric compounds and not corrode quickly, making it well suited for corrosion resistance in hot states. Nichrome has similar properties but oxidizes more quickly than Kanthal in sulfur-containing atmospheres.

"Annealed" vs. "Half-Hard"

The terms "annealed" and "half-hard" refer to the temper of the metal, or the condition produced by mechanical treatment. Annealed wire can be shaped and cut easily, making it relatively flexible, soft, and bendable when pressure is applied. An annealed surface is achieved by exposing the metal to high heat and allowing it to cool slowly. Half-hard treatment refers to rolled and drawn wire.

Temperature Ratings

The Maximum Operating Temperature refers to the highest temperature the wire can withstand without suffering damage. Kanthal wire can operate up to 1400°C (2550°F) safely, while Nichrome wire has a melting temperature around 1150°C (2100°F).

Resistance

The more heat the wire generates, the more resistance it creates. Resistance is affected by volume, diameter, and the length of wire. The longer the wire, the higher the overall resistance. Thinner wire has higher resistance than thicker wire.

Thermal Expansion

Resistance wire expands in diameter and length when exposed to high temperatures. All resistance wire has different reactions to heat and will expand different amounts. To determine the expansion of either Kanthal wire or Nichrome wire, check the specifications of the wire. The expansion rate and flexibility also depends on the diameter, or gauge, of the wire.

Soldering

You can solder to resistance wire, but you will need a special flux and high temperature solder. Common electrical solder will not stick to resistance wire. An alternative would be to use crimp connectors or screw terminals in place of solder.

Specifications:

Nichrome 60

• Melting Temperature: 1350°C (2462°F)
  • Maximum Operating Temperature: 1150°C (2100°F)
  • Density: 0.2979 lbs/cubic in.
  • Specific heat capacity @ 68°F: 0.11 Btu/lb°F
  • Thermal Expansion: 14 x 10 to the -6 per °C

Kanthal A1

• Melting Temperature: 1500°C (2732°F)
  • Maximum Operating Temperature: 1400°C (2550°F)
  • Density: 0.256 lbs/cubic in.

Kanthal D

• Melting Temperature: 1500°C (2732°F)
  • Maximum Operating Temperature: 1300°C (2370°F)
  • Density: 0.262 lbs/cubic in.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Hope this answers your question... ;)

aznzing03

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2013
Minneapolis
Still would like to know what this wire is. What is it made out? I have a feeling it is just a scam but if it's not, seems stupid to just market and sell it for 5 times the amount for kanthal. I haven't messed around with it because I don't feel like spending that much money on wire and silica(which wouldn't be used), but maybe it's just Nichrome and silica builds?
I would love to know the composition and why people can't seem to find it anywhere except from chadster. Also called hot wires and beast wires.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
temco doesnt have a listing for the Kanthal A just the blends they carry,
go to the kanthal group main page and you can see it has a slightly lower thermal limit and slightly different composition.

in one of the videos for this wire someone mentioned it came from sweden, most of the references then led me to find many importers in the area sell kanthal A. in another off reference i heard someone mention alumachrome.

it is important to remember what we see at temco supply is but a small sample of the different versions of kanthal and nichrome.

I have a feeling it is just a scam but if it's not, seems stupid to just market and sell it for 5 times the amount for kanthal.

it is, to believe some lone modder can suddenly invent an unknown wire composition without it becoming known in the wire industry is silly.

this will turn out to be he found some blend that just heats a little faster and is raking in the profits until others figure it out. same thing that went down with "bakero" wire that turned out to be ribbon kanthal.

Last edited:

crazyarms

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
Thousand Oaks, CA
Yeah i was skeptical at first when i bought it but after following chadsters tutorials on building with these wires im kind of convinced. It may not be worth $25 dollars but if your looking for a pretty damn good vape id recommend trying them.
Different from kanthal wires in a few ways:
Feel less springy. Easier to build with for me. They heat up in a strange way. You cannot full fire them without wick, have to pulse or they bend and distort and sometimes bend so far that they break. Once built in a nice micro with a 5/6 wrap and they are lighting up evenly though they work pretty damn well. Flavor is all there and it produces large amounts of vapor.
Ive had the same build for about a week now and it has become my go to vape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread