Status
Not open for further replies.

roonies

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2013
in the cat toy aisle
I am having an issue that I am pretty sure is user error. Both of my Provaris, which are less than a month old, cut out on me periodically while vaping. Usually I am power vaping at the time and the tanks (Protank 2) are getting quite hot. All of a sudden they will cut out mid pull and then fire again. I do not get an error message, but rather the 2 dashes that you see between menu prompts will flash. Occasionally either the battery level or volt setting will flash....I suspect the volt setting as it's oftentimes 3.7. I rebuild my own heads and test them out before using and they always seem great, usually testing out at about 1.8. Is it possible these are shorts happening or does my tank just get too hot? I know it's not an issue with the device as both do it, so it has to be something I'm doing....any help would be appreciated....thx!! :confused:

Preloader

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2013
Oakland, CA
Is it possible that you are accidentally pulse firing while vaping? If my finger slips off the fire button mid vape and I press it again to keep going, I sometimes get up to a 5 count of button pushes, which puts me into menu mode.

Maybe you're putting just enough pressure on the button to be bouncing between fire/not fire.

Try pressing harder when you vape and see if it subsides.

roonies

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2013
in the cat toy aisle
That actually makes a lot of sense. Probably what I am doing. I'll watch more closely and thanks!! :)

Is it possible that you are accidentally pulse firing while vaping? If my finger slips off the fire button mid vape and I press it again to keep going, I sometimes get up to a 5 count of button pushes, which puts me into menu mode.

Maybe you're putting just enough pressure on the button to be bouncing between fire/not fire.

Seapup

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
Virginia, USA

I made that mistake more than a few times when I started using a ProVari. Blew a few coils in the process too. :oops:

Preloader

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2013
Oakland, CA
Yeah, I think once, I accidentally brought up the Pu menu, then held the button down to continue my hit, unknowingly raising the volts to 5.8.:ohmy: The next hit I went for threw an overamp code, luckily protecting my coil.

I have since adjusted my technique and also raised awareness of button slips. If it happens, I just give a pause before the next go.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
You beat me to it Sir Sloth. Perhaps it should be noted in a Sacred Text that one must keep firm pressure on the center of the Blessed ProVari's button, since this issue has come up more than once.

It should also be noted to NEVER check the ohms on a dry carto, since the ProVari measures resistance "under load" (meaning it fires to get a reading) and a dry carto will be toast.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
I saw the title and said to myself "What?" No way two could break at the same time. I sure hope that pulse thing was the problem. I don't power vape so I've never had this happen.

I learned about pressing the center of the button after the power just stopped in the middle of a vape.

roonies

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2013
in the cat toy aisle
I can't tell you how happy I am to have found this out. That was exactly the problem. I was oftentimes just pressing the side of the button and obviously scrolling through the menu. This is good info to pass on for sure. Obviously, many of us have done this. On the dry burning, I dry burn my heads on my spinner just to make sure it's good, then I fill the tank and always test the ohms under load. What a relief!! This has been bugging me for a couple weeks....glad I brought it up! :)

You beat me to it Sir Sloth. Perhaps it should be noted in a Sacred Text that one must keep firm pressure on the center of the Blessed ProVari's button, since this issue has come up more than once.

It should also be noted to NEVER check the ohms on a dry carto, since the ProVari measures resistance "under load" (meaning it fires to get a reading) and a dry carto will be toast.

HolmanGT

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
St. George, UT USA
I can't tell you how happy I am to have found this out. That was exactly the problem. I was oftentimes just pressing the side of the button and obviously scrolling through the menu. This is good info to pass on for sure. Obviously, many of us have done this. On the dry burning, I dry burn my heads on my spinner just to make sure it's good, then I fill the tank and always test the ohms under load. What a relief!! This has been bugging me for a couple weeks....glad I brought it up! :)

roonies,

Both of my ProVaris do what you have been experiencing. If I do to not firmly holding he button down have auto-scrolled the Pu, Pd... etc.

At first I was very upset that my ProVari(s) were broken then as you and everyone else have posted pressing the button in the center and hold down firmly all is good. I still occasionally relax my button press and find that my extended drag produced no vapor. Ugh!

I have also notice that the modest detent you feel in the button has absolutely nothing to do with when it "fires". Mine fires when I hold the button done firmly at the end of the button stroke if I let the button come up just a little it turns off.

:2c:

Addendum: I have never posted about this because I didn't want to admit that something might be amiss with my beloved ProVaris. :facepalm:

Last edited:

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
At the risk of sounding like I am trashing another device, I have found a similar problem with the Vamo, although it's a bit worse. The adjust buttons on mine are very sensitive and close to the firing button. More than once in the middle of a drag I have accidentally pressed the adjust button along with the firing button and had the power shoot up to 10-11 watts! Eek! I also recently discovered the buttons will depress just due to the weight of the body. I had set it and forgot it and had it resting in the crook of my knee as I sat cross-legged, like I do with all of my devices. I went to take a drag and YOW! it was up to some ridiculously high wattage. If there is a way to set it, forget it and lock the damn thing in place I would appreciate someone telling me how to do it.

Last edited:

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va

Perhaps a Ten Commandments of the ProVari?

HolmanGT

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
St. George, UT USA
At the risk of sounding like I am trashing another device, I have found a similar problem with the Vamo, although it's a bit worse. The adjust buttons on mine are very sensitive and close to the firing button. More than once in the middle of a drag I have accidentally pressed the adjust button along with the firing button and had the power shoot up to 10-11 watts! Eek! I also recently discovered the buttons will depress just due to the weight of the body. I had set it and forgot it and had it resting in the crook of my knee as I sat cross-legged, like I do with all of my devices. I went to take a drag and YOW! it was up to some ridiculously high wattage. If there is a way to set it, forget it and lock the damn thing in place I would appreciate someone telling me how to do it.

Ocelot,

It is far too early for me to search it I'm still on my first cup of coffee. BUT most of the THREE button devices you can lock the up/dn buttons by holding both of them down at the same time, just the up/dn buttons. My Tesla and a couple of other Vamo look-a-likes work that way.

Let me know it that works for you.

PS - the only reason I am up this early is because of my FEMALE Kitty runs the house and the schedule. She decided that it was time for me to get up. I finally gave in how much face licking can a sleeping old man take from a cat perched on you stomach - Ugh!

Now that I am up and fed her she is curled up next to me on the couch fast asleep - and I am left to paint the roses red.

HolmanGT

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
St. George, UT USA
This is early? I'm up at 4am on my days off..... because it allows me to have MORE day off. Sleep is a waste of a day off for me.

Preloader,

I thought sloths ate, slept and came down to the ground once a week to take a dump. ;) Hmmm... sounds like my life style.

4:00 AM may boarder on some type of "farmer in another life" syndrome. You may be able to get medical help. LOL

PS - is the primed wick still wicking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread