Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptSteve

Airborn ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2011
41,000ft at M 0.85
A general question-has anyone on this thread ever used the catch-cup /510 combination from Del-Sole -Sun Box ?

SunBox Store - UFO Catch Cup V2

It is very pricey but for those with limited tools /facilities it may help.

BTW - the mods you guys make are drop dead gorgeous - a lot of talent being displayed on these pages

I personally haven't, I've made my own but I've found they're not really necessary. May I ask why you want one?

Last edited:

jc2013

Apr 1, 2013
DFW, Texas, USA
I personally haven't, I've made my own but I've found they're not really necessary. May I ask why you want one?
I have not built a squonker. I have "assembled" a mechanical box mod vs. create a box mod from scratch. I have toyed with the idea of building, or more accurately stated, assembling a squonker and am in the investigation stages. Just trying to get a better feel for what may be available. Once again, I do not have the skills or the facilities to fabricate items like many have displayed on this site.

CaptSteve

Airborn ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2011
41,000ft at M 0.85
Sure and that's very understandable. Rest assured most of us started in this hobby pretty much the same way. My point is that if you want to try assembling a squonker the hardware is all out there for you to do it with pretty much a dremel and a basic set of tools.
Just sayin' that you don't really need to spend so much on a catch cup when a Fatdaddy 510 at a fraction of the cost can work just as well (plus you get the 510 connection as an added bonus).
Research these pages and if you need any help I know that most of us here will gladly pitch in.

CaptSteve

Airborn ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2011
41,000ft at M 0.85
I made a while back this mod (and a few others with catch cups) with a catch cup but I only did it because I wanted to submerge the atty in the mod to have less of it sticking out on top. If the atty isn't embedded in the mod you really don't need a catch cup.

Untitled by CptSteve, on Flickr

RobbieVape

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2015
Bristol - England
I made a while back this mod (and a few others with catch cups) with a catch cup but I only did it because I wanted to submerge the atty in the mod to have less of it sticking out on top. If the atty isn't embedded in the mod you really don't need a catch cup.

Untitled by CptSteve, on Flickr

Love the way that atty sits down deep, thats one sweet looking mod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: CaptSteve

jc2013

Apr 1, 2013
DFW, Texas, USA
Sure and that's very understandable. Rest assured most of us started in this hobby pretty much the same way. My point is that if you want to try assembling a squonker the hardware is all out there for you to do it with pretty much a dremel and a basic set of tools.
Just sayin' that you don't really need to spend so much on a catch cup when a Fatdaddy 510 at a fraction of the cost can work just as well (plus you get the 510 connection as an added bonus).
Research these pages and if you need any help I know that most of us here will gladly pitch in.

Appreciate the quick response and advice- will definitely take some time to go back through this forum and hopefully educate myself to better understand what is available- thanks again

EagleTa2

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Yep. Too good to be true. I called just before 30 days to check on the order and the rep said that it had been discontinued. He would see if he could get an equivalent from Jet for no extra charge. Apparently not, though. At least they refunded my payment without my having to contact PayPal. The original listing now shows it as "currently not available", yet they still list it at $2.10 on their sister/parent company's page at toolmarts.com

Got links? I am in the same boat you were in when shopping for a setup for your Shopsmith. I don't want to by something that requires a machine shop to make it usable. I'll start digging again, but wouldn't mind a hint from a fellow SS owner.
Hi bimini... Let me see if I can throw a link here for ya.

Grizzly.com® --

Thanks, Geo

Reactions: Bimini Twist

EagleTa2

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
here is a pic of it setup...maybe :)
xy table 1 small.jpg

Bimini Twist

Twisted Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2012
Redneck Riviera
www.mboyd.com
Hi bimini... Let me see if I can throw a link here for ya.

Grizzly.com® --

Thanks, Geo

Thanks Geo,

BTW, what was the upgrade on that 4" vise?

And no, I won't take this thread to using threaded inserts or using F1 or the mouse to get help in graphics programs.

Genosmate

Verified Member
Apr 27, 2014
South Africa
I'm still deciding on shape and internals for a couple of wood mods I want to make for friends so I thought I'd make something with an off cut of acrylic or poly (some thing) I had.
I intended to flame polish it so it was completely see thru but turns out what ever the material is it doesn't like flame polishing.
With the inside cleaned and the outside polished it looks like an ice block suspended in clear acrylic.When I post photos I often see blemishes I don't by eye that I can go back to.
I put a 3ml bottle in (a 6ml will fit) because I'm low on supplies and a green light especially for @Robfisher
Iam properly useless at soldering but I managed it and it fires!
Now can I manage to stay awake for Money vs Pacman?
IMG_0770.jpg
IMG_0771.jpg
IMG_0773.jpg
IMG_0774.jpg

CaptSteve

Airborn ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2011
41,000ft at M 0.85
Nice work John. If you don't have the right gas flame however (hot enough) it won't flame polish. I recommend you try the buffing wheel polishing method with Tripoli polish compound. It's the recommended method for thicker pieces of acrylic (plexiglass).

Start by sanding with 600+ grit then take it to a new buffing wheel with Tripoli compound. It will become clear as glass.

Watch this video btw which will help

Reactions: penguiness

Genosmate

Verified Member
Apr 27, 2014
South Africa
Nice work John. If you don't have the right gas flame however (hot enough) it won't flame polish. I recommend you try the buffing wheel polishing method with Tripoli polish compound. It's the recommended method for thicker pieces of acrylic (plexiglass).

Start by sanding with 600+ grit then take it to a new buffing wheel with Tripoli compound. It will become clear as glass.

Watch this video btw which will help

Thanks Steve,I polished it using the normal brown compound but now I'll try and find Tripoli.

Roscoe01

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2014
North Dakota
Well guys I think I am ready for a good benchtop mill[emoji1] Any pointers from those who have em as to what would be the best buy? I kinda have the Taig, LMS, and Grizzly in mind.

The grizzly seems to be the best price due to free shipping thru amazon prime but I really like that the Taig is made in USA.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Quigsworth

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
I'm still deciding on shape and internals for a couple of wood mods I want to make for friends so I thought I'd make something with an off cut of acrylic or poly (some thing) I had.
I intended to flame polish it so it was completely see thru but turns out what ever the material is it doesn't like flame polishing.
With the inside cleaned and the outside polished it looks like an ice block suspended in clear acrylic.When I post photos I often see blemishes I don't by eye that I can go back to.
I put a 3ml bottle in (a 6ml will fit) because I'm low on supplies and a green light especially for @Robfisher
Iam properly useless at soldering but I managed it and it fires!
Now can I manage to stay awake for Money vs Pacman?
View attachment 454719 View attachment 454720 View attachment 454721 View attachment 454722

Another reason it may not flame polish is it could be polycarbonate (Lexan)...polycarb doesn't flame polish, eventually it'll just get hot enough where it blisters and that's it

Funny you mention the blemishes you only notice in pics...same thing was going on with me and the resin mod...very strange

Genosmate

Verified Member
Apr 27, 2014
South Africa
Another reason it may not flame polish is it could be polycarbonate (Lexan)...polycarb doesn't flame polish, eventually it'll just get hot enough where it blisters and that's it

Funny you mention the blemishes you only notice in pics...same thing was going on with me and the resin mod...very strange
Yep I think so to,when I tried it on the end of the piece it seemed it would work.When I tried it on the mod itself it flamed and also nearly ruined it.
As for the blemishes I think I must take more pictures in future at certain stages so I don't finish something and then feel I its not come out how I want!

Reactions: Quigsworth

custom-classic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2013
USA
  • Deleted by Unforeseen
  • Reason: Posting Against ECF Supplier TOS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread